Author Topic: I'm tired of ...  (Read 7646 times)

Re: I'm tired of ...
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2012, 11:59:14 PM »

Offline Celticfankb

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 17
Some of you mentioned Doc's comments about "shots not falling", or "its a make or miss league". He's right. Its not an excuse. We are what we are. A jump shooting team. Have been since 08. We don't have guys that can create their own shot. Peirce is the only guy who really can, but he has lost a step.KG is a jump shooter. Our whole team is that.

Until we get guys who can create on their own, our identity will be a jump shooting team.

Jason Terry, and to a lesser degree Courtney Lee, were supposed to be capable of doing quite a bit of creating. We were told particularly that Jet is great in the pick and roll. For whatever reason, though, we haven't seen much creating from either of these guys. Leandro Barbosa is also capable of creating.

I would also argue that Rajon Rondo, with his speed, should be able to create dribble-drive opportunities for himself, and also to use that skill to draw defenders and thus open up teammates.

Why aren't these things happening?

I beg to differ. Those guys you mentioned can drive to the lane. Driving to the lane and creating your own shot is different. Anybody can drive to the lane. Which Jet, Lee, Barbosa and Rondo can do. Creating your own shot takes a superior offensive skill set. Players who can are special,(Durant, Kobe, Lebron, Carmelo and Pierce)

Other than Pierce, nobody has the perimeter game to do such and he is 35. We need another guy who can.
KB

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2012, 08:40:10 AM »

Offline Sec22

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 4
For those bothered by this thread, I didn't intend to ruffle any feathers. Just wanted to vent some frustration.

I was a regular complainer last season, so before this season started, I decided I was going to make a concerted effort to be patient as long as I could. I barely batted a lash at their problems through the first dozen games.

Then I attended my first Celtics game, Nov. 28 against the visiting Nets, and was treated to "the brawl" and some of the worst Celtics basketball of the New Big Three era. Still I remained patient, and largely silent.

After the Milwaukee game, though, Boston is within one game of being a third of the way through its season and there are few signs of progress. I'm no bandwagon fan; I've continued to cheer on the Cs through all their crappy play this season. Do I feel entitled? Well, I'll admit to being spoiled by all their success of the last 5 seasons. I also, however, know the level of talent on this year's team, and that they're underperforming by a country mile. I don't expect anyone to hand the Celtics (and their fans) the title, but I do expect these guys to show signs of significant progress at this point in the season. I've been trying really hard to enjoy this season—I do want to enjoy it, after all; I'm not hoping for things to complain about—but it's hard to enjoy the product they've been putting out on the floor. Yeah, there have been good (even great) individual performances, and I'm excited to see the development of young guys such as Sully, but this isn't supposed to be a "development" year, it's supposed to be a title-chasing year.

I realize that the year isn't over, and that we have a lot of new players still finding their way. Two thirds of the regular season remain, and these guys could still get their act together, or Danny could make a great trade that addresses the team's biggest needs while eliminating some of the redundancy on the roster (all those 2s, for example). I don't know, however, that we can count on a repeat of last season, when everyone suddenly got their act together post-All-Star break and, despite numerous injuries, performed like a powerhouse. We certainly shouldn't depend on that happening, and neither should the players.

So that's all this thread was about: venting frustrating and hoping for positive change to happen soon. Some of you don't like that, but just keep in mind that some others of us don't like the continued "covering" for this team's shortcomings (real or perceived), and we're weary of hearing the same things over and over: "our legs were tired tonight," "it's a make/miss league," etc. Especially given the timing of some of these reasons: How can you come out flat after three days of rest? How can so many guys have shooting slumps at the same time (Bass, Terry, Lee)? These are legitimate questions that cross our minds, and there's nothing wrong with questioning where the players' heads are, and asking why we're not seeing much progress.

Fwiw, that's all very fair and reasonable.  I'm 1/4 step behind you.

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2012, 08:54:03 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Some of you mentioned Doc's comments about "shots not falling", or "its a make or miss league". He's right. Its not an excuse. We are what we are. A jump shooting team. Have been since 08. We don't have guys that can create their own shot. Peirce is the only guy who really can, but he has lost a step.KG is a jump shooter. Our whole team is that.

Until we get guys who can create on their own, our identity will be a jump shooting team.

Jason Terry, and to a lesser degree Courtney Lee, were supposed to be capable of doing quite a bit of creating. We were told particularly that Jet is great in the pick and roll. For whatever reason, though, we haven't seen much creating from either of these guys. Leandro Barbosa is also capable of creating.

I would also argue that Rajon Rondo, with his speed, should be able to create dribble-drive opportunities for himself, and also to use that skill to draw defenders and thus open up teammates.

Why aren't these things happening?

I beg to differ. Those guys you mentioned can drive to the lane. Driving to the lane and creating your own shot is different. Anybody can drive to the lane. Which Jet, Lee, Barbosa and Rondo can do. Creating your own shot takes a superior offensive skill set. Players who can are special,(Durant, Kobe, Lebron, Carmelo and Pierce)

Other than Pierce, nobody has the perimeter game to do such and he is 35. We need another guy who can.

They all can, to lesser degrees of effectiveness, but they all can and be quite successful at it, so is Jeff Green. When the ball is moving, all this things happen. When Rondo and Pierce are the sole players who control the ball, then we're not going to see it because well, they aren't given the opportunity to do so.

KG and Sulliger can also work on the low post, and they're good passers from there.

So we have plenty of options... most of them completely underutilized at the moment, or flat-out misused.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 09:12:38 AM by BudweiserCeltic »