Author Topic: Great win guys, way to turn....Oh, wait.  (Read 3033 times)

Re: Great win guys, way to turn....Oh, wait.
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 12:56:08 AM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
Fine everybody,

Lets give the Devil his due and say Pierce is just fine. To repeat I have never blamed him for any of this nor have I called to have him traded, amnestied or any of that nonsense. My point all along was that he looks older and slower this year in particular. Especially on defense.

Lets just let that go for a moment.

Why do I get attacked, insulted and called a bad fan because I am upset that a team nearly everyone across the country, Celtics fan or not, thought would compete for the Eastern Conference title has been mediocre at best four the first quarter of the season?

Is that not true? Were they not mentioned as the main team to give the Heat trouble before the season began?

If I said that we would be at .500 on Christmas day would you say, "sounds about right"?

So what makes me so crazy, fair-weathered and wrong?

I would love a reasoned answer from someone.

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 01:14:05 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Great thread bro!! Really different from your previous five thr-- oh no wait.

Glad to see you have intelligent things to pos----oh no wait.

Merely a light-hearted dig at your initial title.

If you're posting the same thing after every loss and getting heckled for it, probably time to post something different?

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 01:14:30 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If Terry isn't going to be given a larger role offensively, I want to see his minutes cut back drastically because he is doing a lot of harm to the Celtics this season.

Terry is only a 15-20mpg player if he is only going to be used as a spot up / catch and shoot player. Too much of a liability as a defender and rebounder to justify more playing time than that for Terry under these conditions.

Well, he did take like 15 shots in that game.  But I agree.  Terry has to be treated like an instant offense guy.  Bring him off the bench and don't put any restrictions on him.  Otherwise he's just Keyon Dooling out there.  Without the defense.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2012, 01:15:58 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Fine everybody,

Lets give the Devil his due and say Pierce is just fine. To repeat I have never blamed him for any of this nor have I called to have him traded, amnestied or any of that nonsense. My point all along was that he looks older and slower this year in particular. Especially on defense.

Lets just let that go for a moment.

Why do I get attacked, insulted and called a bad fan because I am upset that a team nearly everyone across the country, Celtics fan or not, thought would compete for the Eastern Conference title has been mediocre at best four the first quarter of the season?

Is that not true? Were they not mentioned as the main team to give the Heat trouble before the season began?

If I said that we would be at .500 on Christmas day would you say, "sounds about right"?

So what makes me so crazy, fair-weathered and wrong?

I would love a reasoned answer from someone.

I just looked through the thread.  Nobody attacked you.  I feel like we are all being assaulted by you, though.

Chill, dude, chill.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2012, 01:37:30 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

If you're posting the same thing after every loss and getting heckled for it, probably time to post something different?

Agreed.

I feel like no one remembers that we like to do this 500 to the all star break thing.

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2012, 01:41:16 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
We let another big man slaughter us again. Larry Sanders looked like Lew Alcindor out there. Young fans, look him up or go watch "Airplane". Extra gift under the tree if you know what he changed his name to.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Where's my [dang] gift!?

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2012, 02:03:58 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
lol...yeah..sounds about right.

a 12-13 team...basically inconsistent...out-rebounded in many games...out-hustled, whatever.

Looks/sounds just about like BOS did last year...all the way up until the 2nd half of the season...

Then BOS shifted to another gear. We all know the rest of the story. We were a healthy Jeff Green and perhaps AB away from beating LeBron and MIA.

I think, for my sanity at least - I won't fall to pieces after BOS loses a home game or loses any games, at least right now.

To be honest, I'd thought that BOS would've been in a groove by now...I think many of us did.

But they haven't - yet.

It's still not the end of the world, and I know for a fact that this team is NOT the final product...this team is NOT what we see right now.....there are STILL too many games to play.

This team is hovering right around 500, which is ok for me.  I'll wait patiently until the final result in June 2013.

I don't like playing coach, but I agree with "Who" in the assessment that perhaps Jet should come off the bench more...no more than 20 min or so.

And I'm beginning to sound the chorus that perhaps BOS does in fact need some credible front-court help for KG...two games vs MIL, and this Sanders kid is looking like Dennis Rodman rebound-wise vs us, lol.

Start Courtney Lee...at least until AB comes back. And even then - give Lee the opportunity to showcase what he can do. I'm sure he has more to his game than what we've seen.

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2012, 02:19:07 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Also...let's further put some things in perspective, here:

-Did anyone see the CHI-NY game? LOL..NY is NOT the contenders/juggernauts that some are making them out to be.

-Lakers? Even IF/WHEN Nash gets back, are they STILL capable of beating OKC, MEM or even the Spurs? The way Duncan is playing right now?

-MIA? The champs, yes - but certainly not a perfect team.

BKN? They are looking tired already - literally and figuratively.

In other words - just about EVERYONE is inconsistent right now...and even OKC is perhaps an injury away from looking beatable, too. They lost to Minny last night with Martin injured.

BOS may need a tweak here and there, IMO, but let's not give up on them.

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2012, 02:24:15 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Pierce was flat and aggressive in the second half. He missed most of his shots in the fourth quarter and overtime, he was exposed defensively.

I get that he scored a lot and without him we would have been blown out but it is true he can not carry this team on his own.

I am not blaming Pierce for this teams woes. He is 35, it is what happens. I have never said we should trade him. I am just stating that is age is really starting to show, particularly on the defensive side.

Please stop attacking me because I state an uncomfortable truth about Pierce.
Maybe avoiding sarcasm like "have you been asleep?" would help your case a bit (?).

Dunno, but you're right that Pierce's age is showing some, as is KG's ... why wouldn't it? It is what it is.

KG has been the most consistent force on the team in the last two seasons, but he's not what he was ... he doesn't go strong to the hoop as much as he used to, nor is he the post threat he was, but he's still doing his job as well as anyone, and Paul is the King of Intangibles, and still the core emotionally, as well as the "clutch" guy he's always been.

Roles have changed, and this largely new team is not any one player's responsibility, nor should any individual be expected to "carry" the team night-in-and-night-out.

Let's face it, this team is in a funk, but there are also clear reasons for it, and however much you want to rationalize it away, it just plain takes time, and a period longer than from the end of October to Christmas.

If you had told me (before the season started) that we'd be at .500 right now, I absolutely would've said: "Sounds about right." A bit disappointed? Sure. But still about right.

I didn't expect much before the break and I still don't, though I would be surprised if we were much below 50% at that time.

After that I think we'll be on a clear upswing, if not a true tear, and things will look a lot more optimistic.

There's a lot of good things happening right now, even during the losses, and the things that are causing the losses are obvious and tangibly correctible.

Chemistry is the biggest problem overall, because it affects almost everything, (and I really wish this organization would get back to Ubuntu and prioritize that), but again, that comes with time together.

As far as anyone calling you a bad fan, I hope that's not happening, because each of us is entitled to our own view of what a "fan" is and how one should act, and there really is no right or wrong, good or bad.

Bottom line is I agree with you about the age thing, because it's just plain inescapable, but I disagree about how it affects the team.

There's some great discourse going on here about the team's present problems, though, so I respect you for sticking to your guns ... just maybe not take it quite so personal, and avoid the sarcasm.

Trust me, as most here will attest, I've been guilty of the same plenty times myself, so I don't mean it condescendingly at all.

Most of all, I'm hoping that come post-break you're not telling us all: "I told you so!", cuz that would truly suck ... for the team, not us personally, (I'm quite used to hearing it on a personal basis). ;)

Here's hoping we're all feeling better about things by then, and I'm sure that you would be as pleased as any of us.

TP for hanging in there. :)

2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2012, 04:09:59 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
don't give up so easily. It's an 82 game season. We haven't hit 30 games yet.
We are playing very well at times and poorly at others.
Doc is still experimenting to see if he can get his roster to work in different line ups.
If he can't, we'll have to trade and get below value for a few guys like Bass and Lee to grab a solid big man.
Collins was fine. He's an enforcer and we took control of the game with him and KG in the paint protecting the rim. Collins is an enforcer that gives us some thug style.
We lost this one because KG had a poor night, Terry had a poor night, Bass had a poor night and as we went cold in the third, the Bucks caught fire.

To me, our biggest problem is something we've experienced for a few seasons- fourth quarter jumpshooting and playing to protect a lead instead of playing to win.

I don't know how many jumpshots we took but it was waaayyyy too many. We stopped attacking the basket and settled for jumpshots and it lost us the game.
KG was just exhausted too, he had nothing in his legs all 4th quarter and OT.

But once again, it's less than 30 games in and it could take 60-65 games and/or a trade but I have faith that Danny will make the right decision.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2012, 04:12:32 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Agreed.

I feel like no one remembers that we like to do this 500 to the all star break thing.

Only last year, really.

Every season before that the Celtics were in the habit of playing really well until January, and then playing just above .500 until the playoffs.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain