Author Topic: Why Is It So Different This Year?  (Read 3294 times)

Why Is It So Different This Year?
« on: December 21, 2012, 10:16:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm really just at a loss right now.

The Celtics played small in the second half of last season and won the vast majority of their games. 

Sure, they miss Avery Bradley.  But Courtney Lee and Jason Terry should have been able to fill in more than adequately.

So why isn't it working this year?  Like, at all?

The Celtics are bad at a lot of things that a good basketball team needs to be able to do:

- Rebounding
- Preventing dribble penetration
- Protecting the rim
- Hitting high value shots (threes and looks in the paint) at a high rate
- Getting consistent production from the bench

I look at a team like the Atlanta Hawks, and they are far less talented overall than the Celtics.  But they have been much more successful.  They rebound, they get looks inside, they have a lot of good outside shooters, and they defend the perimeter and the paint effectively.  They're a better team even though they lack a star on the same level as Rondo, Pierce, or Garnett.  In short, the Hawks are just built in a much more traditional way than the Celtics, and it works.  What the Celtics have right now isn't working.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 10:25:16 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Why Is It So Different This Year?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 10:19:47 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
tonight was garbage coaching and then we were just snakebit.

why does doc let them take jumpers when we could not throw the ball in the ocean?

why do we not dribble drive and/or dish or post up KG when it matters?

pure luck got us to OT. then when we get to OT KG misses two baby shots from 3 feet out. unbelievable. should have never gotten to that situation.

we need a big guy now to post up and be the go to guy when we suck at jumpers. nah nevermind doc would not allow it. *banging head against wall*
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 10:22:28 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I thought the Celtics  looked pretty good tonight.  When Kevin Garnett and Jason Terry shoot like that, it's going to be tough to win. 

I like that Bucks teams.  They'll be a fun eighth seed.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 10:24:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I thought the Celtics  looked pretty good tonight.  When Kevin Garnett and Jason Terry shoot like that, it's going to be tough to win. 

This doesn't really answer the question of my post.

Why have the Celtics struggled so much this year when they were so good with essentially the same core lineup (Rondo - SG - Pierce - Bass - Garnett) in the second half of last season?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 10:26:18 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Why have the Celtics struggled so much this year when they were so good with essentially the same core lineup (Rondo - SG - Pierce - Bass - Garnett) in the second half of last season?

I don't have a full answer, but missing a ton of makeable shots was the main reason tonight.  That, and Larry Sanders and Monta Ellis. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 10:26:56 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

Doc is still running the same plays except for Lee and Terry and it's not really working that well. It's just not their games. We need better defense and some more consistent scoring from secondary players.

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 10:27:15 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
yea there is NO freakin way we can win when KG and Jet shot like 5 for 45 or something... a blind man can hit as many..with luck alone....

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 10:27:51 PM »

• Dennis Johnson

I don't have a full answer, but missing shots was the main reason tonight.  That, and Larry Sanders and Monta Ellis.

right, shots they had no business taking. Tommy is going to die of a stroke before it is over screaming for us to attack inside. i'll bet he does not think too fondly of doc outside the booth.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 10:28:33 PM »

Offline GrandTheftRondo

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
A few reasons.

Among them being that a lot of teams got better while we stayed the same (or got worse by some accounts.) That makes a difference. Especially when two of those teams who have gotten better are in our division SMH.

Doc. His bad coaching is getting exposed with each passing game.

2 of our most important players are getting older.

We have no size.

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 10:30:45 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
A few reasons.

Among them being that a lot of teams got better while we stayed the same (or got worse by some accounts.) That makes a difference. Especially when two of those teams who have gotten better are in our division SMH.

Doc. His bad coaching is getting exposed with each passing game.

2 of our most important players are getting older.

We have no size.

yep. a blind monkey could see it now. doc has been exposed. insanity=doing the same thing over and over=shooting bricks instead of attacking. unreal.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 10:31:33 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I'm really just at a loss right now.

The Celtics played small in the second half of last season and won the vast majority of their games. 

Sure, they miss Avery Bradley.  But Courtney Lee and Jason Terry should have been able to fill in more than adequately.

So why isn't it working this year?  Like, at all?

The Celtics are bad at a lot of things that a good basketball team needs to be able to do:

- Rebounding
- Preventing dribble penetration
- Protecting the rim
- Hitting high value shots (threes and looks in the paint) at a high rate
- Getting consistent production from the bench

I look at a team like the Atlanta Hawks, and they are far less talented overall than the Celtics.  But they have been much more successful.  They rebound, they get looks inside, they have a lot of good outside shooters, and they defend the perimeter and the paint effectively.  They're a better team even though they lack a star on the same level as Rondo, Pierce, or Garnett.  In short, the Hawks are just built in a much more traditional way than the Celtics, and it works.  What the Celtics have right now isn't working.

because Doc is trying to stick his antiquated system into a lineup that doesnt fit that way.

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 10:31:55 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
New parts

KG is that much of a post guy anymore (Due to age)

Bass lost his jumper, Lee did too

Green and Pietrus are totally different, So are Jet and Ray

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 10:33:05 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

I don't have a full answer, but missing shots was the main reason tonight.  That, and Larry Sanders and Monta Ellis.

right, shots they had no business taking. Tommy is going to die of a stroke before it is over screaming for us to attack inside. i'll bet he does not think too fondly of doc outside the booth.

Jet, KG, and Brandon Bass missed a heck of a lot of shots that I like them taking.  I love taking it to the basket, but sometimes you've got to hit some jump shots. 

I mean, shoot, a lot of KG's misses were inside.  Larry Sanders really bothered him tonight. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 10:34:42 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
New parts

KG is that much of a post guy anymore (Due to age)

Bass lost his jumper, Lee did too

Green and Pietrus are totally different, So are Jet and Ray

well then we had best make a trade for a big who can score down low also then. or we are history.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 10:36:25 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

The Bucks are 3-1 against the Celtics for the season. Just saying. Right now they are better than the Celtics.