Author Topic: Could have, should have had Chandler Parsons  (Read 1134 times)

Could have, should have had Chandler Parsons
« on: December 21, 2012, 07:21:29 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
This makes sick to my stomach:

When asked how Doc Rivers, the coach of the Boston Celtics, knows him so well and long, Rockets forward Chandler Parsons responded with a question of his own. “How does the coach of the Boston Celtics not draft me?” Parsons said. The Rockets picked up Parsons in the second round of the 2011 draft after the Celtics took forward JaJuan Johnson with the 25th pick that season. The Rockets acquired Johnson in the sign-and-trade deal that sent Courtney Lee to Boston, but cut him before the season. “I thought I was going to go to the Celtics, 100 percent,” Parsons said of the draft that season. “That was probably my best workout. I killed it.” Houston Chronicle

So we worked his kid out, he clearly thought we were picking him, then we did not. So we whiffed on Marshon Brooks, whiffed on JuJuan Johnson and now have Courtney Lee to show for the 2011 draft. We could have had Chandler Parsons who would have also allowed us to cut ties with Jeff Green and save 9 million a year and could have kept E'Twaun Moore for cheaper than Courtney Lee. This is why this team is barely .500, Danny and the brain trust have lost it. Can you imagine Chandler Parsons on this team? Chandler Parsons, nearly hung a triple double on us while the Rockets wiped the floor with us? I live in Houston and watch the Rockets all the time. The guy is sick.

We are just failing all over the place these days.

Re: Could have, should have had Chandler Parsons
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 07:24:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Parsons definitely is better than Jeff Green and it would be nice to have him on a rookie contract rather than Jeff at 9 mill.

But, hey, hindsight is 20/20.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 07:33:18 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
Parsons definitely is better than Jeff Green and it would be nice to have him on a rookie contract rather than Jeff at 9 mill.

This is not hindsight. Parsons was very highly regarded, he clearly thought we were picking him. This was a failure of massive proportions. He was rated higher than Johnson by nearly every draft pundit. We blew this big time. This is why we are going to barely make the playoffs then get dusted in the first round.

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 07:35:53 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
You can go back and do this for just about every draft for every gm. It's really easy to know who to draft after the fact.

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 07:38:11 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Parsons was the 38th pick in the draft. Many teams missed on him. It's a total crap shoot that late in the draft.

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 07:41:36 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
Parsons was the 38th pick in the draft. Many teams missed on him. It's a total crap shoot that late in the draft.

My point is that he thought we were picking him, which means we clearly gave him some idea we would. Additionally, we so badly whiffed on the 2011 draft that it is a legitimate point to bring up and a viable criticism of the Danny and the Celtics draft team.

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 08:02:53 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
we could've got him.... infact most of the league passed on him. But going back to us... if we had drafted him, he surely would not have been as good as he is now. Doc doesn't play rookies much unless forced to. His nba growth would've been much slower.

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 08:46:17 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

My point is that he thought we were picking him, which means we clearly gave him some idea we would. Additionally, we so badly whiffed on the 2011 draft that it is a legitimate point to bring up and a viable criticism of the Danny and the Celtics draft team.

Who cares if he thought we were picking him?  That's not the point.  If you're going to bash Danny, bash all the other GMs who passed on Parsons.  Plus, at the time, Parsons wasn't a need.  We thought Jeff was going to be healthy, and we needed bigs.  Johnson was there, Danny liked him, and took him.  Sure, it was a bad pick, but I'm not going to blame Danny.  Like someone else said, hindsight is 20/20.

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 08:54:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

This is not hindsight. Parsons was very highly regarded, he clearly thought we were picking him. This was a failure of massive proportions. He was rated higher than Johnson by nearly every draft pundit. We blew this big time. This is why we are going to barely make the playoffs then get dusted in the first round.

Saying that not picking Parsons two years ago is THE reason that the Celtics are struggling this year and will supposedly get beaten in the first round is being just a BIT melodramatic.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain