Author Topic: revisiting 2012 draft, should Danny have done any differently?  (Read 3956 times)

revisiting 2012 draft, should Danny have done any differently?
« on: December 21, 2012, 07:08:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Most i know will think its still too early to tell, but just for fun sake's did Danny make the best out of the two picks he had did this past draft??

Other than injury concerns, is Sullinger a good fit for the team?? Will he ever be starting material?

Will melo ever "get it" or never get out of the nbdl?

Before the draft rumors/danny's interest

Was to try to drop down and get Harrison Barnes. I think if we gave up Bradley plus the two picks, GS would of thought about it harder. If the trade was executed, Jeff Green probably doesn't get resigned. Would we be a better team? Personally i'm not a huge fan of Barnes, bc his demeanor on the court is not all that different than Jeff Greens.

Other than Barnes, there was some noise or fans wanting to grab Zeller. After he dropped from 15, he (+2nd round pick) could of easily been had for our two 1st round picks. But Danny obviously didn't pull such trade. Was this a mistake?? If Melo had Zeller's iq, he would of probably been a top three pick this year. We just saw Zeller last game, and color me impressed. He battled kg hard, looked like a vet out there setting picks/boxing out, has a kg like jumper he could make all day/night long and with added bulk i'm sure will be a better rebounder. The best thing about him was how fast he runs on the open floor. It would of been a treat to see him and Rondo run together.

If we didn't trade the picks, do you still like picking Sully and Melo? Do you pick instead at least with one of the picks, Perry Jones 3? What about reaching and grabbing Ezeli and Draymond Green instead? (both who are doing fantastic job with gs and getting playing time).

Again i don't hate the sully and melo picks but they were not my #1 choice. Sully bc i don't think he will ever be a starter in the nba and melo bc of worries about his low iq.

Personally i can't say i would of chosen Green and Ezeli instead bc back then you would of never known they be overachieving , but definitely would of thought harder to trade our two picks or a package involving one of our picks to grab Zeller. I already mentioned what i like about the kid and i think the Pj Brown comparisons are valid. Zeller and KG would of been a real nice pair up front for us.

Re: revisiting 2012 draft, should Danny have done any differently?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 07:09:12 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
He should have traded up for Drummond, he's raw but legit, he has Dwight Howard type of talent.

If he stayed put, he should have taken PJ3 instead of Melo. I was screaming at the tv when he passed him up to take Melo.

Sullinger was a great pick though.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 07:15:40 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
He should have traded up for Drummond, he's raw but legit, he has Dwight Howard type of talent.

If he stayed put, he should have taken PJ3 instead of Melo. I was screaming at the tv when he passed him up to take Melo.

Our two first round picks would of probably not been enough for Drummond. But also some people thought that Drummond and Melo were not all that far apart in terms of smarts and athletic abilities. Drummond no doubt is more athletic/quick and a year younger , so has a higher ceiling. But melo is a little taller, still refining his body (meaning at his peak, could be just as deadly as Drummond) and helped syracuse go far last year. Again for some Drummond and Melo not drastically different , especially not enough to trade two first picks for

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 07:23:36 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Our two first round picks would of probably not been enough for Drummond. But also some people thought that Drummond and Melo were not all that far apart in terms of smarts and athletic abilities. Drummond no doubt is more athletic/quick and a year younger , so has a higher ceiling. But melo is a little taller, still refining his body (meaning at his peak, could be just as deadly as Drummond) and helped syracuse go far last year. Again for some Drummond and Melo not drastically different , especially not enough to trade two first picks for

In hindsight though, they are drastically different. Drummond has shown flashes of being a dominant big man already, Melo looks like a D-league for life player. It would have been worth giving more than our 2 firsts for Drummond in hindsight.

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 07:29:54 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's way, way too early.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 07:34:28 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I loved/still love the Sully pick.

I hated the Melo pick, I wanted PJ3 so bad.

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 07:43:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

In hindsight though, they are drastically different. Drummond has shown flashes of being a dominant big man already, Melo looks like a D-league for life player. It would have been worth giving more than our 2 firsts for Drummond in hindsight.

Its true. I mean if you had one pick and had to choose between the two, every team would choose Drummond. Even at a year younger looks like has a stronger and more refined body than Melo. Could be due to just plain old Genetics.

Melo should be dominating or be better than he is now in the nbdl. But you know, that is what avg iq does for a player. It may take some time.

I still have hopes in a year or so he could become our version of Deandre Jordan

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 08:17:13 PM »

fitzhickey

Instead of melo, crowder, pj3 or festus ezeli

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 08:48:01 PM »

Offline edwardjkasche

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
I'm fine with both our picks.

It's too early, as everyone has said, but in all honesty you cannot compare guys even after a few seasons.

For example, many fans last year wish we had selected Marshon Brooks, highlighting his 13ppg as a rookie.  However, in my opinion, Brooks would have NEVER seen the floor under Doc last year.  He certainly wouldn't have been taking 12 field goals per game while shooting 42% from the floor.  He benefited from being on a bad Nets team.

Now look at Brooks.  He's averaging just 11mpg and 5ppg.  Not much of an impact in games.  And, he still wouldn't be seeing the floor much under Doc.

Our draft picks (JJJ and Moore) may not have panned out in Boston, but they helped get us Lee.  Lee's coming on of late (especially in the shooting dept.) and sees the floor more than either JJJ or Moore would have.  Also, if Lee doesn't pan out, you know Ainge will use him in a deal to net a sorely-needed big.

I look Sully's game.  He's BBD without the maturity issues.

Melo has a chance to be a terrific rotation big in the future.  Can't ask for much else from the 21st pick.  He needs seasoning, but he's got size and has been showing the desire to get better (a big part of the puzzle).

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 08:52:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

And PJ3 has done what exactly so far this year?

Not to mention that he'd have no way of getting on the floor for this team with Green and Bass already on board.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 08:52:18 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
Just because we're in win-now mode, Ezeli would've been a better choice over Melo.  Festus was ready to play, whereas Melo is going to need two years before he becomes a contributor.  That being said, Melo has more potential than Ezeli.

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 09:16:38 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
skeptical about the Sully pick then but very happy about it now.  the kid is a player.

hated the Melo pick and still not thrilled with it.  kid is at least 2 years away from even contributing as a 3rd string center.  very definition of long-term project.  really wanted Moultrie or PJ3 with that pick. 

really like the Joseph pick.  Danny never ceases to amaze at finding good talent in the 2nd round.  I think this kid has some potential to be a legit end-of-rotation player by next year.

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 09:19:45 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!

And PJ3 has done what exactly so far this year?

Not to mention that he'd have no way of getting on the floor for this team with Green and Bass already on board.

Well he hasn't exactly had a chance yet.

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 04:19:55 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
with fab melos triple double and d-league block record tonight, im really excited for what he can bring.

14 blocks. Crazy.

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 07:21:00 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
As weird as this sounds I think i'd pick Ezeli and Melo instead of Sully and Melo.

DOn't get me wrong Sullinger is VERY talented and potential wise, it's there. But Festus could be giving us what his giving the Warriors right now, solid 15-20 minute stretches of toughness, defense, rebounding and a few hook shots here and there. I'd draft Melo for the potential. I wouldn't draft Sully because we have Bass, Green and KG occupying the PF spot, which I think is enough depth already.

SO we'll have two rookie Centers. One of them is good enough to start and one who's still on the learning and potentially good enough to start as well. We may not have the talented low post guy, but we're making it up with rebounding and block shots.

I understand that drafting should be BPA and not need, but during that time, when we are stacked at the 4 spot and we have no size and length, I think we really should have drafted two legit Centers. That's just me.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace