Author Topic: Obama to nominate Kerry for State  (Read 1778 times)

Obama to nominate Kerry for State
« on: December 21, 2012, 10:59:05 AM »

Offline Cman

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 230
Widely anticipated, but pretty clear now that Obama will nominate Sen. Kerry for Secretary of State. I think this is a good move. Kerry is well-qualified for the job, and seems to garner a lot of respect from both sides of the aisle.

http://www.politico.com/story/2012/12/obama-to-nominate-john-kerry-for-secretary-of-state-85406.html?hp=t1_3
Celtics fan for life.

Re: Obama to nominate Kerry for State
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 11:00:07 AM »

Online Rondo2287

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 562
  • Historical Draft Best Overall/Best Defensive team
Widely anticipated, but pretty clear now that Obama will nominate Sen. Kerry for Secretary of State. I think this is a good move. Kerry is well-qualified for the job, and seems to garner a lot of respect from both sides of the aisle.

http://www.politico.com/story/2012/12/obama-to-nominate-john-kerry-for-secretary-of-state-85406.html?hp=t1_3

I know Manny Ortez is a big fan

So who puts the bug in candidates' ears about seeming what they are not? John Kerry last week professed to be a big fan of "Manny Ortez," then re-emphasized the phoofery by correcting it to "David Ortez." No, that was Dave (Baby) Cortez and "The Happy Organ." A few years back Kerry went on a Boston station with Eddie Andelman and said "my favorite Red Sox player of all time is The Walking Man, Eddie Yost," who never played for the Red Sox. Kerry is going to sweep New England. He's going to get 70 percent of the vote in Massachusetts. He doesn't have to be a Red Sox fan, all he has to do is not be John Ashcroft.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1842904
Indiana CB Draft, Kevin Durant, Deron Williams, Luis Scola, Robin Lopez, Ray Allen, Elton Brand, Rodney Stuckey, Marvin Williams, Jeff Taylor, Andrew Nicholson, Shaun Livingston, Markieff Morris, Michael Beasley

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 11:45:12 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 636

So who puts the bug in candidates' ears about seeming what they are not? John Kerry last week professed to be a big fan of "Manny Ortez," then re-emphasized the phoofery by correcting it to "David Ortez." No, that was Dave (Baby) Cortez and "The Happy Organ." A few years back Kerry went on a Boston station with Eddie Andelman and said "my favorite Red Sox player of all time is The Walking Man, Eddie Yost," who never played for the Red Sox. Kerry is going to sweep New England. He's going to get 70 percent of the vote in Massachusetts. He doesn't have to be a Red Sox fan, all he has to do is not be John Ashcroft.

I know you are just making a joke, and I do think its funny, but I just thought this was a good spot for a rant.

I hate this idea that politicians need to be "one of us".  In fact, I don't want them to be one of us.  Yes, there needs to be some level of relatability, but it has gone too far IMO.

Whether it is Romney trying desperately to relate to the "common man", the constant mention of Joe sixpack, et al, or Kerry/Romney/etc. pretending they know anything about the local sports team.

Their job is not to be a sports team, it is to lead us.  I would much rather they just said "you know what, I wish I knew someone on the Red Sox, but unfortunately, I am too busy working on foreign and domestic policy to be able to follow it". 

Because that is the politician I want.  I want the really smart guy, who concentrates on his job, not the one who spends half his day at the water cooler, chatting up the secretary. 

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 11:52:16 AM »

Online Rondo2287

• Frank Ramsey

I know you are just making a joke, and I do think its funny, but I just thought this was a good spot for a rant.

I hate this idea that politicians need to be "one of us".  In fact, I don't want them to be one of us.  Yes, there needs to be some level of relatability, but it has gone too far IMO.

Whether it is Romney trying desperately to relate to the "common man", the constant mention of Joe sixpack, et al, or Kerry/Romney/etc. pretending they know anything about the local sports team.

Their job is not to be a sports team, it is to lead us.  I would much rather they just said "you know what, I wish I knew someone on the Red Sox, but unfortunately, I am too busy working on foreign and domestic policy to be able to follow it". 

Because that is the politician I want.  I want the really smart guy, who concentrates on his job, not the one who spends half his day at the water cooler, chatting up the secretary.

I agree with you, and I think Peter Gammons does too with his quote of

"Who puts the bug in the candidates ears about seeming what they are not."

Personally I think if he had just said he didnt really follow sports instead of saying, "That Manny Ortez is one heck of a power hitter" that would have been better.  Instead he combined two of the best players in franchise history while simultaneously inserting a pathetically general sports statement.

I don't think you need to be relatable but if your going to try to be, don't mess it up.  Just like Varitek splitting the uprights. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 11:59:02 AM by Rondo2287 »
Indiana CB Draft, Kevin Durant, Deron Williams, Luis Scola, Robin Lopez, Ray Allen, Elton Brand, Rodney Stuckey, Marvin Williams, Jeff Taylor, Andrew Nicholson, Shaun Livingston, Markieff Morris, Michael Beasley

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 11:58:16 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Kevin Garnett

I agree with you, and I think Peter Gammons does too with his quote of

"Who puts the bug in the candidates ears about seeming what they are not."

Personally I think if he had just said he didnt really follow sports instead of saying, "That Manny Ortez is one heck of a power hitter" that would have been better.  Instead he combined two of the best players in franchise history while simultaneously inserting a pathetically general sports statement.

I don't think you need to be relatable but if your going to try to be don't mess it up.  Just like Varitek splitting the uprights.

I agree.  But thats not on those guys, that is just where politics are right now. 

We are at a place where the biggest knock against Romney was that he couldn't relate to the common man, and because of that, his whole campaign is directed towards that, rather than really digging deep into the issues.

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 12:14:08 PM »

Online thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2187
So...he is has expertise in sports, as well as in foreign affairs?   I feel so much better...
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 12:32:57 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 2244
We are at a place where the biggest knock against Romney was that he couldn't relate to the common man, and because of that, his whole campaign is directed towards that, rather than really digging deep into the issues.
well, according to him he could relate to 53% of the population.  since that would be a slim majority, wouldn't that make the 53% the 'common' man?   ;)

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 01:00:49 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 72
    • Self Assay
I hope McCain grills him during confirmation about his dubious and changing Vietnam stories. Also about meeting with the enemy in Paris.

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 01:29:57 PM »

Online Rondo2287

• Frank Ramsey
So...he is has expertise in sports, as well as in foreign affairs?   I feel so much better...
no, he doesnt know sports.

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 01:43:43 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 927
I hope McCain grills him during confirmation about his dubious and changing Vietnam stories. Also about meeting with the enemy in Paris.

McCain likes Kerry, he respects his military experience and has worded well with him. Actually most of the congress likes him. It's going to be a pretty easy confirmation hearing for him.

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 01:49:45 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1962
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

That's so two-thousand and late.

DKC Portland Trailblazers Team Card
Questions about the DKC? Ask here: LINK
Free Agency Tracker: Link

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 02:09:41 PM »

Online thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2187
Uh oh....what, exactly, is his area of expertise again?  Maybe nuclear energy?
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 02:14:30 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 222
I hope so, too. McCain doesn't look nearly as petty or small these days as he did a couple years ago, and if he doesn't at least try to submarine the nomination process, people will start to forget.

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 02:23:20 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 352

This would be a good move for Kerry, it might help his investments out in Iran.

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 02:37:01 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Kevin Garnett
Uh oh....what, exactly, is his area of expertise again?  Maybe nuclear energy?

Ketchup.

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsBlog Forums.

Fantasy Draft Topics

Welcome to CelticsBlog