Author Topic: Collins starting? We are done.  (Read 5889 times)

Re: Collins starting? We are done.
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2012, 12:32:30 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
My theory: starting Collins is an experiment. Doc and Danny are testing out a bigger lineup with KG at PF, and seeing how the bench rotations and chemistry look when we have a real C.

If it looks good, we are more likely to pursue a C before the trade deadline.

We also learn who fits better in the second unit, Bass or Sullinger, to figure out who we want to keep and who we want to trade. They can't both get meaningful minutes off the bench.

Makes sense, sort of.  I'd say the past years when KG had a true center next to him are plenty enough evidence of how ell it would work.  Seeing how the team looks with a true center is good and all, unless of course, the player you're using in that role is a scrub.  Collins is a warm body essentially, but as our play has been mediocre at best so far, trying something new is nessecary.

That being said, Danny was just the other day quoted as saying "maybe playing small isn't the best way to play going forward".  It's obvious the Celtics need a better, bigger C/PF.  Bass and Sully are redundant, and terrible together.  Neither is, at the moment, a true starting quality big.  Either would be fine as the 1st big off the bench, though.

Yes, either will be fine and are redundant
I am not sure if i can trade any of those 2 ( I know youre not saying that) because is always good to stack size.
Hopefully the ones on the go will be one SF and ons SG and some kind of filler, and maybe that and a pick can grab us a real center to be back up by Collins
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2012, 12:34:04 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
My theory: starting Collins is an experiment. Doc and Danny are testing out a bigger lineup with KG at PF, and seeing how the bench rotations and chemistry look when we have a real C.

We also learn who fits better in the second unit, Bass or Sullinger, to figure out who we want to keep and who we want to trade. They can't both get meaningful minutes off the bench.

Yup , I agree , I think DA has probally suggested to Doc they need to try a diff. look.

No ...no way Collins is taking us anywhere , but he is being used to teach the rest of the team how the Celtics will look and play with a BIG CENTER .  HOPEFULLY preparing them to return to "CELTICS" basketball.

Sully is a natural rebounder, will be able to do most of what Bass does best in 1-2 years and probally much better in the long run. He is on a cheaper rookie contract...and will have more value down the road. The choice is obvious to keep him.  Dump Bass, Lee , and Green for a BIG. Keep Sully , AB and Fab.

Maybe Danny can hussle the C's up a decent Center to anchor the team while Fab goes to school.  Love to see us keep Fab and have him as a backup next year off the bench.

I just think especially at their age KG and PP need to be playing along side a BIG center to patrol the paint and help with the dribble penetration.

All I want for XMAS is Varejao in Celtic Green.
yea da bolded aint gon happen lol every team wants a young asset u gon have to get rid of one of em hell maybe 2, da lakers are da only team to get lopsided deals like dat

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2012, 12:35:14 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I actually LOVE this move. Nobody on this team has had KG's back in the post.

Collins is more than adequate in terms of changing the makeup of the defense, altering more shots and boxing out.

I'm tired of guys like Bass and Wilcox getting burned on D and rebounds. There's nothing more demoralizing than that.

Darko, or someone like him, would have been great. Why let Hollins leave when we had nothing better? I think Celts do well with this switch and benefit from KG having another big to rely on.

That Pekovic dude is a monster for Minny. Why can't we get dudes like that? Ha. Seriously, let's sign Krylo Fesenko. Semih is playing overseas. Can we bring him back? Lame that Sheed left us in the dust after game 7 and could have kept playing, clearly.

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2012, 12:50:10 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

Yup , I agree , I think DA has probally suggested to Doc they need to try a diff. look.

No ...no way Collins is taking us anywhere , but he is being used to teach the rest of the team how the Celtics will look and play with a BIG CENTER .  HOPEFULLY preparing them to return to "CELTICS" basketball.

Sully is a natural rebounder, will be able to do most of what Bass does best in 1-2 years and probally much better in the long run. He is on a cheaper rookie contract...and will have more value down the road. The choice is obvious to keep him.  Dump Bass, Lee , and Green for a BIG. Keep Sully , AB and Fab.

Maybe Danny can hussle the C's up a decent Center to anchor the team while Fab goes to school.  Love to see us keep Fab and have him as a backup next year off the bench.

I just think especially at their age KG and PP need to be playing along side a BIG center to patrol the paint and help with the dribble penetration.

All I want for XMAS is Varejao in Celtic Green.
yea da bolded aint gon happen lol every team wants a young asset u gon have to get rid of one of em hell maybe 2, da lakers are da only team to get lopsided deals like dat

What he said, I have a feeling either Bradley or Sully are gone at the trade deadline. If either is traded it better be for a guy like Varejeo or Gortat... If you can avoid trading either great but i doubt its possible

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2012, 12:56:54 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
This is the king of games that every single play Collins do will be under every single fan eyes.
If he do one good all pro will jump
If he do one good all contra will jump.
More than usual

Good Game Collins good luck tonight.
And we all hope you have your starting center soon to put you out of the spotlight.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2012, 01:02:01 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
We should have gave Darko a shot when he was here.

I get the feeling that if he got some PT, his mom wouldn't have gotten sick with the mysterious illness.

...Just saying.

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2012, 01:04:25 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
We should have gave Darko a shot when he was here.

I get the feeling that if he got some PT, his mom wouldn't have gotten sick with the mysterious illness.

...Just saying.

While I don't disagree (well, I do think his Mom is really sick, but I think he would have stayed around if he were playing), I think if we are right about this part of the story, that its a sign he isn't someone we would have wanted to be relying on anyways, because you wouldn't know when he would flake out. 

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2012, 01:07:36 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Yeah im definitely annoyed by the fact darko was never given a shot. A guy that was willing to kill if he had to in order to win never saw the floor. Fast forward a few weeks laker and you have collins started. *Sigh*

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2012, 01:13:38 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
What's funny is that Collins is a terrible rebounder, along with being a terrible offensive player. How he ever got another NBA job is beyond me.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 01:19:37 PM by soap07 »

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2012, 03:42:41 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Collins is a 7 footer.  I really, really am not a fan of small ball.  Therefore,  Collins is an upgrade, as far as I am concerned. He has 6 fouls to give, knows how to give them, and clogs up the space under the basket defensively.

Now, what I would like for Christmas is an upgrade over Collins.  ;) 

I have been pleading for a big man or two since last year.  That is why I am so impatient for Fab Melo to mature into a player, as I think he has all the tools, and just needs the time.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2012, 04:42:11 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah the idea that its Doc's fault for sticking with a lineup that did very well last year, Bass/KG, to force Darko minutes so he wouldn't mind stick around seems crazy to me.

Darko was pretty out of shape last year and just had an injury also slow him down to start this year off. If he can't handle inconsistent minutes then that's on him, not Doc. There is no way Doc promised him a spot in the rotation regardless of his fitness/play/health.

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2012, 04:44:15 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah im definitely annoyed by the fact darko was never given a shot. A guy that was willing to kill if he had to in order to win never saw the floor. Fast forward a few weeks laker and you have collins started. *Sigh*
He said he was willing to kill.

What he was apparently unwilling to do was get in shape (in previous years), or ride the bench a while earning a place with his new team. (at least with the health of his mother as it was)

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2012, 05:05:33 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

From Doc's comments it sounded like Darko wasn't really giving his all in practice, possibly because of playing time and because of his family situation.

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2012, 05:12:40 PM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Couldn't use Kendrick Perkins! Spare me the contract its not your money and if it was you're giving it to a worse player in Jeff green, so spare me

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2012, 05:20:10 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Couldn't use Kendrick Perkins! Spare me the contract its not your money and if it was you're giving it to a worse player in Jeff green, so spare me

Perkins was never going to remain a Celtic after that year. If he hadn't been traded he would've walked in free agency.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.