Author Topic: Collins starting? We are done.  (Read 5888 times)

Collins starting? We are done.
« on: December 21, 2012, 10:02:10 AM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
Seriously? That is what we are reduced to? Collins has not started for a team since 2007. That team? The New Jersey Nets. Remember them? They stank and were a joke. His best PER ever? 10. His best PER since 2006? 5. Yup, 5. Now I know that PER is not the end all be all, and I am sure kool-aid drinkers will tell me that Hollinger is a joke, blah blah blah....But really, a five?

If this is what is left, everybody being jazzed that Collins started and we beat the five win Cavaliers, we are finished.

I love Danny saying we have to play bigger. With who? Two undersized power forwards in Bass and Sullinger? Scrap heap players in Collins and Wilcox? Seriously? We have one legit big guy: KG. Now I think Sullinger can be really good. Like slightly behind Kevin Love good. 18 points, 11 boards a game good. He has all the tools there to do it. However, he is not ready and gets no love from the refs so he can not stay on the floor right now.

Collins starting? We already have trouble scoring. He can not throw the ball in the ocean. He would put KG even further away from the hoop on offense, making us an even more perimeter oriented team. That would get ugly real quick.

Face facts. If Celtic nation is cheering the "arrival" of big man savior Jason Collins as it seems we are in most circles, we are cooked like a Christmas Goose. In keeping with that Dickens reference: Collins as our starting 5? Bah Humbug.

Re: Collins starting? We are done.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 10:09:32 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Seriously bro.

Collins is the only true center we have. We need to wait for the waiver wire.

I think the traditional lineup is what works for us. Not the small ball fantasy that doc was trying to do.

We will prevail in the end.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 10:10:20 AM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
Seriously? That is what we are reduced to?
Yes, seriously. He plays decent defense. There are still plenty of offensive weapons on the team with him in the starting line-up, and it frees up KG to roam more. Not every starting player needs to be Basketball Jesus. We get a lot of production out of our big three.

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 10:13:02 AM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
Seriously bro.

I think the traditional lineup is what works for us. Not the small ball fantasy that doc was trying to do.

Seriously Bro, Collins is not a true center. If you have not started in nearly six seasons you are not a true center. In the end we will prevail right into a first round loss or the lottery.

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 10:15:51 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
I am in favor for whatever gives us any win rather than continue with the small ball lineup which sucked.

Your suggestions?
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 10:17:11 AM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
Seriously? That is what we are reduced to?
Yes, seriously. He plays decent defense. There are still plenty of offensive weapons on the team with him in the starting line-up, and it frees up KG to roam more. Not every starting player needs to be Basketball Jesus. We get a lot of production out of our big three.

We are 13th in scoring. We can not afford to have a guy who has a career average of 3.8 points a game start at center.

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 10:19:38 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Wilcox is scrap heap?  You do know he's arguably our best and easily most consistent bench player so far.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 10:21:44 AM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
We are 13th in scoring. We can not afford to have a guy who has a career average of 3.8 points a game start at center.
Sure we can. League average offense is fine if we have good defense to go with it. This team doesn't need to be OKC. Maybe it doesn't work, but it's not guaranteed to fail; it's worth trying.

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 10:24:58 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Seriously bro.

Love the traditional line up. Hate that fact that Collins is the only guy that can make that traditional line up work. But, unfortunately its what we got until we make a trade or sign a legit center that is worthy of a starting job for us.

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 10:26:03 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It is a message to the other big men.  Play defense and chase some rebounds or lose time.

More to the point, it shows that the Celtics have flexibility with KG.  When they do finally make their move for another big man, they are not forced to look at only those who can play PF.  KG can defend PF. 

In the end, the Celtics can not continue to play small and slow.  They need to clean up the defensive end of the game.

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 10:37:32 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
So far I like Collins in the starting lineup.  He won't give us anything offensively, but he's a good defender. 

This team thrived for a few seasons with a center that gave us next to nothing offensively and was there purely for his defensive presence. 

Rondo, Pierce, and Garnett with some sprinklings from Terry, Green, Bradley, and Bass will carry us offensively.  We don't need an offensive center (I am now anticipating the jokes about Collins being offensive as our starting center).
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 10:47:39 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I think Doc and the team letting Darko go was a mistake.

Darko would fit much better as the starting C over Collins.

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 10:51:58 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Starting Collins does look like a desperate move by Doc.
I also see Darco leaving as Doc fault. I wish we had Darco now...

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 11:19:45 AM »

Offline jbaerg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
+23

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 11:23:43 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885