Author Topic: Celtics (13-13) at Nets (14-12) 12/25  (Read 48581 times)

Re: Celtics (13-13) at Nets (14-12) 12/25
« Reply #300 on: December 25, 2012, 10:21:24 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I think Bass is as good as gone to be honest.  There are too many signs to ignore:

1. Bass' drop from the starting lineup
2. Bass' drop in minutes (less than 20 today)
3. Recent signing of a seemingly redundant power forward
You realize that we didn't have 12 men to put in uniform on this trip, and  that we're down to three healthy big men not named Kevin Garnett, right?

If you think this signing has anything to do with Brandon Bass, you're not paying attention to the full picture.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #301 on: December 25, 2012, 10:25:41 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
wow. where did that team in green come from today? It was as if doc rivers read every post of mine on here and did exactly as I said. attack the basket the whole game. we did that basically. we ran at times after defensive rebounds. fantastic! easy buckets in transition. the D speaks for itself. holding a team under 80? impressive. we did not settle for contested jumpers once we had the big lead. wide open jumpers are fine(as long as we keep attacking the basket also and we did)...just not contested. anybody can shoot contested jumpers.

some nice passes to sully in the paint for easy scores. we'll still need a big guy to go deep in the playoffs even once AB comes back. sully, terry and wilcox and collins should give us a decent bench though compared to last year. get a starter at center and keep KG at the 4 spot. Trade green, bass, lee, barbosa, etc.

Well stop the presses, I am pretty sure we should nominate you as the replacement coach for Doc.  Who needs doc when we have you? haha

« Reply #302 on: December 25, 2012, 10:31:05 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think Bass is as good as gone to be honest.  There are too many signs to ignore:

You realize that we didn't have 12 men to put in uniform on this trip, and  that we're down to three healthy big men not named Kevin Garnett, right?

If you think this signing has anything to do with Brandon Bass, you're not paying attention to the full picture.

I agree 100% with your post.  With no Wilcox, we are desperately thin at PF/C.  I mean, no offense against collins, but he should be at best a break open in an emergency kind of guy.  I guess we are at that point already.  C's just need another big warm body.

Even though I loved our effort and D today, we were still forced to play the dreaded Sully and Bass combination for short stretches today.  Great win though.  I wish we could at least get that effort from everyone every game, even if we don't get the results we want.

« Reply #303 on: December 25, 2012, 10:36:23 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

I agree 100% with your post.  With no Wilcox, we are desperately thin at PF/C.  I mean, no offense against collins, but he should be at best a break open in an emergency kind of guy.  I guess we are at that point already.  C's just need another big warm body.

Even though I loved our effort and D today, we were still forced to play the dreaded Sully and Bass combination for short stretches today.  Great win though.  I wish we could at least get that effort from everyone every game, even if we don't get the results we want.
I don't think Varnado will see much time. But we had a roster spot and needed some insurance, so there you go. He may well be gone in 10 days -- or they send him to Maine. Of course he can always end up being a gem in the rough, but I don't think the move is signalling anything about Bass' status with the team.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #304 on: December 26, 2012, 01:45:15 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I'm also getting very sick of watching terry. if i had to pick lee or terry I would def. pick lee. coming into the season, I would have never have thought I'd feel like that. lots of changing opinions for me. a side note if I were a brooklyn fan I would be tired of see sermon Williams sour puss.

How on earth do you figure this?

According to every single statistic I have seen out there Terry has been FAR better to us than Lee on both offense and defense. 

For example you can see here:
http://basketballvalue.com/player.php?year=2012-2013&id=6&sortnumber=10&sortorder=DESC

According to these numbers our defensive rating is 101.02 with Terry on the court and 107.4 when he is on the bench (-6.38).

Our offensive rating is 104.08 with Terry on the court and 99.77 when he is on the bench (+4.3).

That's an overall rating of +10.68 when Terry is on the court, which is good for third on the team behind Pierce (+12.88) and KG (+11.17).

These are the only three players on the Celtics that make it in the top 50:
http://basketballvalue.com/topplayers.php?year=2012-2013&mode=summary&sortnumber=21&sortorder=DESC

If you would like to compare with Lee, his numbers are here:
http://basketballvalue.com/player.php?year=2012-2013&id=788

Our Def rating is 105.03 with Lee on the court, 101.84 when he is off the court (+3.19)

Our Off rating is 100.17 with Lee on the court, 104.68 when he is off the court (-4.51)

Basically we get worse on both defense AND on offense when Lee is on the court.  We are statsistically better off without him. 

« Reply #305 on: December 26, 2012, 02:04:01 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

We have Garnett and Collins who can play center and Bass, Sullinger and Green who can play PF.

So we are pretty much fine at PF, but we could use another center until Wilcox returns.

Rather than call up Fab Melo (a player who's main talents are shot blocking, taking charges and being a legit 7-foot center) from the D league purely as insurance, we instead signed yet another undersized 6'9" power forward who will probably get no playing time behind Green, Sullinger and Bass.

You can't make the argument that they signed him over Melo because they wanted a veteran because well...as far as I know this guy has never played an NBA game in his life.

So if Boston were so desperately in need of last resort insurance at the center spot, why waste a roster spot on a random PF from the D-League when you already have Fab Melo taking up a roster spot?

It makes no sense.

Collins is doing a perfectly fine job of backing up the center spot right now while KG is on the bench and he can handle that role just fine until Wilcox returns.  We don't need a center to give us minutes, we only need one as a last resort backup in case (knock on wood) KG or Collins cannot play.  There is no reason why Fab couldn't act as a 7-foot bench warmer and then come in for the occasional spot minute (like Hollins did last season) until Wilcox comes back, then they could send him back to the D-league again.

I'm telling you right now, if there is any trade happening it's going to involve Bass or Sullinger, and the only time it's going to be Sullinger is if nobody has an interest in Bass (which right now, I wouldn't blame them). 

« Reply #306 on: December 26, 2012, 04:45:38 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Who just loved Pierce egging on the Brooklyn crowd and flashing his Boston jersey at them?

classic Truth getting that swagger back

"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #307 on: December 26, 2012, 09:48:24 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Who just loved Pierce egging on the Brooklyn crowd and flashing his Boston jersey at them?

Yup...that was GREAT STUFF !!! Me and the wife got a kick out of that bit of showmanship.

I'm expecting or hoping for more antics from Pierce , it means he is feeling good .

Maybe its a sign of good things to come.

« Reply #308 on: December 26, 2012, 10:24:33 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Yup...that was GREAT STUFF !!! Me and the wife got a kick out of that bit of showmanship.

I'm expecting or hoping for more antics from Pierce , it means he is feeling good .

Maybe its a sign of good things to come.
here's hoping it's a sign of things to come -- as in, the C's have FINALLY turned the corner on putting forth a solid effort EVERY night through the rest of the season.

« Reply #309 on: December 26, 2012, 10:29:33 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

We have Garnett and Collins who can play center and Bass, Sullinger and Green who can play PF.

So we are pretty much fine at PF, but we could use another center until Wilcox returns.

Rather than call up Fab Melo (a player who's main talents are shot blocking, taking charges and being a legit 7-foot center) from the D league purely as insurance, we instead signed yet another undersized 6'9" power forward who will probably get no playing time behind Green, Sullinger and Bass.

You can't make the argument that they signed him over Melo because they wanted a veteran because well...as far as I know this guy has never played an NBA game in his life.

So if Boston were so desperately in need of last resort insurance at the center spot, why waste a roster spot on a random PF from the D-League when you already have Fab Melo taking up a roster spot?

It makes no sense.

Collins is doing a perfectly fine job of backing up the center spot right now while KG is on the bench and he can handle that role just fine until Wilcox returns.  We don't need a center to give us minutes, we only need one as a last resort backup in case (knock on wood) KG or Collins cannot play.  There is no reason why Fab couldn't act as a 7-foot bench warmer and then come in for the occasional spot minute (like Hollins did last season) until Wilcox comes back, then they could send him back to the D-league again.

I'm telling you right now, if there is any trade happening it's going to involve Bass or Sullinger, and the only time it's going to be Sullinger is if nobody has an interest in Bass (which right now, I wouldn't blame them).
Green is not a PF. No, really.

Melo is better served by playing in Maine rather than sitting on the bench with the team.

And I'm telling you right now that there's a zero chance a trade involving Bass or Sullinger will happen in the observable future. I expect Varnado to be gone or in Maine within 10 days or so.

« Reply #310 on: December 26, 2012, 11:03:59 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Right now I a bit curious to see how Green and Sully continue to play.

When we play the CLippers , this will be a good yard stick , to see how good /or bad the Celtics can handle a team of young athletic bigs .

« Reply #311 on: December 26, 2012, 04:49:28 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Just how long are Jarvis arms?  :o
He's 6'10", if that, and has a 7'3" wingspan...so very long.

« Reply #312 on: December 27, 2012, 11:07:27 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Nm