Author Topic: Doc on Avery  (Read 2144 times)

Doc on Avery
« on: December 20, 2012, 01:40:21 PM »

Offline drax

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
read it on espn.com, from weei.com

* While admitting Avery Bradley still needs some time before he's ready to return to game action, Rivers raved about his first full-contact practice in Chicago on Monday. "Half the team was asking him why he's not playing [now]," said Rivers. "He was that good in practice."

Sounds good to me, not like he needs a huge adjustment time. Can't wait.

Re: Doc on Avery
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 01:42:05 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Yeah, he said that when Bradley returns will be determined by the doctor and trainer.  At this point, it is about seeing how he holds up, and building up strength.

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 02:14:44 PM »

Offline masteremile123

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
I just hope that his 3pt shooting returns to what it was last year...
Every thing else in his game is pretty much a given (or improved)

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 02:23:13 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Yeah, he said that when Bradley returns will be determined by the doctor and trainer.  At this point, it is about seeing how he holds up, and building up strength.
I heard they're targetting a January return. Doesn't concern me much either way, this team lives and dies with how well the frontcourt plays defensively.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 02:24:50 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I heard they're targetting a January return. Doesn't concern me much either way, this team lives and dies with how well the frontcourt plays defensively.

Somewhat true, but better play from the sg spot would give them a little more margin for error.

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 02:30:09 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Somewhat true, but better play from the sg spot would give them a little more margin for error.

It also helps to keep guys out of the lane, which has been what exposes the big men.  It also allows them to get away without having to blitz as much with the big men, limiting the rotations, and keeping guys home to protect the basket and rebound. 

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 02:52:34 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
With the depth that they have at the two Avery Bradley could conceivably full court the other team's point guard for 20 minutes a game.

If the other team is consistently getting into their offense with 12-14 seconds left on the shot clock our defense will improve a ton.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 02:54:31 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
With the depth that they have at the two Avery Bradley could conceivably full court the other team's point guard for 20 minutes a game.

If the other team is consistently getting into their offense with 12-14 seconds left on the shot clock our defense will improve a ton.

Absolutely.  I would strongly consider putting Bradley on a 5-5-5 type plan, like KG, just to be able to really maximize his energy and effort. 

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 03:45:12 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Considering his defense while injured I wouldn't be all that surprised seeing him after he's fixed and recovered.  Bradley made the league due to his reaction time, footwork, instincts, and reflexes.  The shoulder didn't really affect him and shouldn't leave any lingering problems.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 07:02:23 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

I disagree. 

Kevin Garnett is still an elite defensive player and is probably still one of the top 10 frontcourt players in the league defensively.  That means at least when he is on the court (which is the majority - 60% - of the time) our front court defense is strong, and we are outplaying out opponents.

While our interior defense is strong more often then it isn't, our perimeter defense cannot make the same claim.  Our backcourt defense is only really passable when we have Terry and Lee on the court together, but that only happens for at most 20 minutes a night.  That means that 40% of the time our perimeter defense is passable, and the other 60% of the time it's terrible.

It's not just on the backcourt guys either - both Pierce and Green have been mediocre (at best) on defensive this year.

I think the addition of an elite perimeter defender at either SG or SF (obviously Rondo will gets the minutes at PG) would transform this team from the average defensive team we are now, into one of the better defensive teams in the NBA. 

If you have an elite perimeter defender and an elite interior defender then the other three guys can get away with being fairly average defenders because two people are always getting shut down, and those elite defenders help to also make up for mistakes made by other players. The combination of Bradley and KG gives us exactly that, and I think a lineup of Rondo, Bradley, Pierce, Bass and KG has the potentialy to be one of the elite defensive lineups in this league. 

Once the bench comes in we don't really need elite defense - just a couple of solid defenders.  Terry, Lee, Green, Sullinger and Wilcox (though not outstanding defensively) is probably a solid enough unit defensively to be able to cover the second tier talent of most opponents. 

At least that's my opinion :)

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 07:20:01 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Absolutely.  I would strongly consider putting Bradley on a 5-5-5 type plan, like KG, just to be able to really maximize his energy and effort.

Whatever we do with him, I'm getting so excited for it!
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 07:32:04 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
It sure will be nice to see the Rondo-Bradley backcourt again.

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 10:56:18 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
It sure will be nice to see the Rondo-Bradley backcourt again.

IF Rondo plays good Rondo and work his work
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!