Author Topic: This is why Jeff Green's contract is so bad  (Read 14387 times)

This is why Jeff Green's contract is so bad
« on: December 20, 2012, 09:43:53 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
When Jeff Green was on his little 5 to 6 game hot streak 10 days ago, this blog boomed with the "Green needs to start", "Time to sit Pierce", "Free Jeff Green" and al sorts of other ridiculous threads.

When I posted in those threads that Pierce was still, even at 35 years old a better all around player than Jeff Green, that Jeff Green was a passive player that would go through wild ups and downs in consistency and that Jeff Green was simply doing what Jeff Green does, which is play well for a few games and then disappear for a few, a lot of Jeff Green fans jumped all over me and some others who said the same thing.

But here we are after 25 games and Jeff Green is going through his normal roller coaster ride through the season. He started off slow and passive. He was a horrid rebounder who couldn't score and who's defense was just plain bad. Then the ball started dropping some, he played with confidence and played much better for a few games.

But that confidence breeds complacency in Jeff Green and now we see the result. Over his last five games he's been back to the passive, non-rebounding, poor shooting, bad defense Jeff Green. In that time he has shot 34% from the field, 30% from 3PT land, he didn't shoot more than one free throw in 4 of those 5 games and averaged just 8 PPG and 3 RPG in his usual 23 MPG.

$9 million a year, 4 year contracts are given out to performers that will give you a consistent, everyday, effort and production. That has never been Jeff Green's calling card. He's playing exactly like Jeff Green has always played. Its the reason OKC would give him the money he wanted and its why Danny Ainge should have given him a large, you have to earn it, one year deal and not the contract he got.

Re: This is why Jeff Green's contract is so bad
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 09:52:49 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
When Jeff Green was on his little 5 to 6 game hot streak 10 days ago, this blog boomed with the "Green needs to start", "Time to sit Pierce", "Free Jeff Green" and al sorts of other ridiculous threads.

When I posted in those threads that Pierce was still, even at 35 years old a better all around player than Jeff Green, that Jeff Green was a passive player that would go through wild ups and downs in consistency and that Jeff Green was simply doing what Jeff Green does, which is play well for a few games and then disappear for a few, a lot of Jeff Green fans jumped all over me and some others who said the same thing.

But here we are after 25 games and Jeff Green is going through his normal roller coaster ride through the season. He started off slow and passive. He was a horrid rebounder who couldn't score and who's defense was just plain bad. Then the ball started dropping some, he played with confidence and played much better for a few games.

But that confidence breeds complacency in Jeff Green and now we see the result. Over his last five games he's been back to the passive, non-rebounding, poor shooting, bad defense Jeff Green. In that time he has shot 34% from the field, 30% from 3PT land, he didn't shoot more than one free throw in 4 of those 5 games and averaged just 8 PPG and 3 RPG in his usual 23 MPG.

$9 million a year, 4 year contracts are given out to performers that will give you a consistent, everyday, effort and production. That has never been Jeff Green's calling card. He's playing exactly like Jeff Green has always played. Its the reason OKC would give him the money he wanted and its why Danny Ainge should have given him a large, you have to earn it, one year deal and not the contract he got.

And if Green said no, Danny should have let him walk?

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 09:53:03 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Love Green as a player, I just think he is in a bad situation for his talents. At 9 mil a year for four years on any team where he could be starting and get minutes I think that is very fair. However, with the Celts he isnt going to be as productive because he isnt going to get the minutes he needs to showcase his game. Its just the type of player he is. In result, for the Celtics his contract looks bad for the role he is being asked to play.

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 09:53:20 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Absolutely.

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 09:55:58 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Absolutely.

So who's the backup sf, Joseph or Lee?

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 09:57:08 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Although its hard to argue he has been playing awful lately again, I cannot fault the guy simply because for all of Jeff Green's inadequacies, I still believe the guy will eventually turn the corner and would be a good player someday... may not even be with the Celtics if he gets eventually traded, but this guy will someday be good.  In fact I still see his ceiling to be Antawn Jamison type.

I think the problem still lies in Doc... He does not put Jeff in a position for him to succeed. First of all he does not get the minutes worthy of a 9 million contract, how will he show his worth if does not play enough, heck I have more confidence in Green than with Bass but still Doc plays Bass more than Green.

I really won't be feeling bad if Jeff gets traded, heck if he nets us Big Al or AV, I will be very happy, but Jeff should be put first in a position to succeed, He needs touches and needs his number to be called upon in days when PP plays flat and lazy. 

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 09:57:22 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Absolutely.

Pietrus = I think he would've come back if Green were not here. Since there were available minutes and good role for him to play.

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 09:57:56 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Love Green as a player, I just think he is in a bad situation for his talents. At 9 mil a year for four years on any team where he could be starting and get minutes I think that is very fair. However, with the Celts he isnt going to be as productive because he isnt going to get the minutes he needs to showcase his game. Its just the type of player he is. In result, for the Celtics his contract looks bad for the role he is being asked to play.
You see, this just isn't true. His per 36 minute rates are just about identical now than when he was starting and playing 36 MPG in OKC. All more minutes do is give him proportionally the same stats he always had. And he gets those stats from being really good for stretches of games and then disappearing for stretches of games.

He is the same animal he always was and that animal isn't worth his contract or a starting job on a title contender unless he is a fourth option offensively and doesn't have to be relied upon.

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 10:01:07 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Absolutely.

Honestly don't remember who was available. If the Celtics weren't committed to Jeff early on my guess is after solidifying the SG position after Ray left, back up SF would have been their next priority.

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 10:01:25 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I refuse to make a true judgement on Green's contract until the end of this season.

For one thing to see if he can become an important part of the team...but perhaps even more importantly, to see whether he can be used in as an asset in a trade.

Because here's the thing.  If they can use him, even as the salary ballast (assuming they don't need to include more value for someone to take him on), then Danny created an asset out of thin air by resigning him. 

If he walked, they not only lose any chance of his production, but they also lose that salary slot. 

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 10:01:37 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
jeff green is not a bad player just inconsistent so far. the contract is not justified though.

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 10:02:21 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Absolutely.

Pietrus = I think he would've come back if Green were not here. Since there were available minutes and good role for him to play.

Maybe. At the time his agent made it pretty clear he didn't want to sign for the money we could offer.

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 10:04:04 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Although its hard to argue he has been playing awful lately again, I cannot fault the guy simply because for all of Jeff Green's inadequacies, I still believe the guy will eventually turn the corner and would be a good player someday... may not even be with the Celtics if he gets eventually traded, but this guy will someday be good.  In fact I still see his ceiling to be Antawn Jamison type.

I think the problem still lies in Doc... He does not put Jeff in a position for him to succeed. First of all he does not get the minutes worthy of a 9 million contract, how will he show his worth if does not play enough, heck I have more confidence in Green than with Bass but still Doc plays Bass more than Green.

I really won't be feeling bad if Jeff gets traded, heck if he nets us Big Al or AV, I will be very happy, but Jeff should be put first in a position to succeed, He needs touches and needs his number to be called upon in days when PP plays flat and lazy.

Green has had a chance to grab a greater share of play time. 

I mean they started Collins last night.

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 10:04:43 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Absolutely.

Honestly don't remember who was available. If the Celtics weren't committed to Jeff early on my guess is after solidifying the SG position after Ray left, back up SF would have been their next priority.

Solidifying the sg position used up the MLE and a sign and trade. You'd be limited to vet min players.

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 10:05:25 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I think the problem still lies in Doc... He does not put Jeff in a position for him to succeed. First of all he does not get the minutes worthy of a 9 million contract

This is where I think you might be confused. Doc doesn't play players based on how much money they make. He plays them based on how well they are playing, how well they are practicing, how consistent they show themselves to be and how much effort they put into learning and comprehending the system.

Jeff Green, simply put, hasn't earned the right to be playing big minutes on this team. His salary is irrelevant to playing time. If he plays well, he gets minutes and earns his contract. If he plays poorly, he doesn't get mintes and he looks like a bad contract. That's the way it works, not the other way around.