Author Topic: This is why Jeff Green's contract is so bad  (Read 14386 times)

Re: This is why Jeff Green's contract is so bad
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2012, 05:42:27 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
it was a bad signing at the time bc:

1- he played like crap for the 1/2 year we had him after the trade

2- missed an entire season with a heart issue

3- the amount of yrs

I will hold final judgement at the end of the season, but thus far, my initial feelings still hold true for me that the signing sucked.

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2012, 05:50:25 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I think the sooner we get out from underneath his contract the better. Green is getting paid for what he could be instead of what he is. The longer we hold on to Green the harder he will be to move.

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2012, 06:05:55 PM »

Offline TheBig5

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
Green should have received a one to two year contract. Hopefully he can play well for a couple months and get traded for Gortat or something.

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2012, 06:31:04 PM »

Offline dinome18

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 7
Do you think our opinion and his performance would change if he played starter minutes? Not that I'm advocating for that but he, as well as many others on this team just seem to defer most of the time.

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2012, 06:46:01 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Do you think our opinion and his performance would change if he played starter minutes? Not that I'm advocating for that but he, as well as many others on this team just seem to defer most of the time.
He doesnt seem to defer in my opinion.  He shoots when he should shoot and drives when he should drive.  More minutes would equal more of the same.  The real problem is that he doesnt contribute in any other areas.

« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2012, 06:49:47 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He doesnt seem to defer in my opinion.  He shoots when he should shoot and drives when he should drive.  More minutes would equal more of the same.  The real problem is that he doesnt contribute in any other areas.
Um, he doesn't defer. When he doesn't get shots, that's because someone (typically Rondo) is trying to break the floor pounding the ball.

Green has been great when they've kept him involved in the offence -- and that doesn't mean getting him the ball for an occasional corner three.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2012, 06:55:33 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Here's the thing: the $36 million Jeff Green is making over the next four years is not your money.

So why does it matter if he's overpaid?  The only cost that matters from our perspective is the opportunity cost

That is what really matters -- what move could the Celtics have made instead of signing Jeff Green that would have been better?

I'm not really seeing it.  Pietrus or Kris Joseph would not have been better options at backup SF.  The 8.5 million on the cap this year is not money that could have gone to anybody else.  Nor is it likely to impede us from signing guys over the next few years -- though it might force us to use the tax-payer MLE (3 million) instead of the full MLE (5 million).  Big whoop.

The fact is, signing Jeff didn't prevent us from signing a {b]more valuable[/b] guy at his position, or any other position.

If anything, we should be complaining about Jason Terry, because he has underperformed and he got the MLE, which we could theoretically have used on somebody else who would have been more productive (e.g. Carl Landry or Jamal Crawford).

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2012, 07:09:22 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'd love to have Landry. 

« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2012, 07:16:56 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Being over the luxury tax threshold also stops Boston from being able to make sign and trades. That new rule comes into force next summer.

No sign and trades + mini-MLE = Minimal opportunities to upgrade team via Free Agency

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2012, 07:21:08 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
When Jeff Green was on his little 5 to 6 game hot streak 10 days ago, this blog boomed with the "Green needs to start", "Time to sit Pierce", "Free Jeff Green" and al sorts of other ridiculous threads.

When I posted in those threads that Pierce was still, even at 35 years old a better all around player than Jeff Green, that Jeff Green was a passive player that would go through wild ups and downs in consistency and that Jeff Green was simply doing what Jeff Green does, which is play well for a few games and then disappear for a few, a lot of Jeff Green fans jumped all over me and some others who said the same thing.

But here we are after 25 games and Jeff Green is going through his normal roller coaster ride through the season. He started off slow and passive. He was a horrid rebounder who couldn't score and who's defense was just plain bad. Then the ball started dropping some, he played with confidence and played much better for a few games.

But that confidence breeds complacency in Jeff Green and now we see the result. Over his last five games he's been back to the passive, non-rebounding, poor shooting, bad defense Jeff Green. In that time he has shot 34% from the field, 30% from 3PT land, he didn't shoot more than one free throw in 4 of those 5 games and averaged just 8 PPG and 3 RPG in his usual 23 MPG.

$9 million a year, 4 year contracts are given out to performers that will give you a consistent, everyday, effort and production. That has never been Jeff Green's calling card. He's playing exactly like Jeff Green has always played. Its the reason OKC would give him the money he wanted and its why Danny Ainge should have given him a large, you have to earn it, one year deal and not the contract he got.

And if Green said no, Danny should have let him walk?
Absolutely.

So who's the backup sf, Joseph or Lee?
Honestly don't remember who was available. If the Celtics weren't committed to Jeff early on my guess is after solidifying the SG position after Ray left, back up SF would have been their next priority.

If you remember our cap position at the time it was either get jeff green with his rights or sign some minimum level floopsy. Pietrus wanted more than minimum level money. I would rather Jeff green than some flog that 29 other teams have rejected. This signing was the right move to try and be competitive at small forward this year.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2012, 08:26:33 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I would rather Jeff green than some flog that 29 other teams have rejected.

There are probably at least a few people on this board who would have preferred current d-leaguer Chris Douglas-Roberts.  There are some D-League bigs I would have preferred over Darko.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2012, 08:34:41 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

There are probably at least a few people on this board who would have preferred current d-leaguer Chris Douglas-Roberts.  There are some D-League bigs I would have preferred over Darko.

Elaborate how CDR is a better option than green with career numbers of 8/2/1 while jeff has career numbers of 14/5/2, both having not played in the NBA last year, one due to a heart ailment, and one due to being just all round not very good.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2012, 09:53:33 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Elaborate how CDR is a better option than green with career numbers of 8/2/1 while jeff has career numbers of 14/5/2, both having not played in the NBA last year, one due to a heart ailment, and one due to being just all round not very good.

I wouldn't prefer CDR, but I expect there are some people who would under the theory that "X is a bum, therefore anybody else must be better".
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2012, 10:31:50 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
He's certainly a frustrating player to watch. Hopefully another gm will make Ainge's mistake and overvalue him and take him off our hands.

« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2012, 10:35:40 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
When Jeff Green was on his little 5 to 6 game hot streak 10 days ago, this blog boomed with the "Green needs to start", "Time to sit Pierce", "Free Jeff Green" and al sorts of other ridiculous threads.

When I posted in those threads that Pierce was still, even at 35 years old a better all around player than Jeff Green, that Jeff Green was a passive player that would go through wild ups and downs in consistency and that Jeff Green was simply doing what Jeff Green does, which is play well for a few games and then disappear for a few, a lot of Jeff Green fans jumped all over me and some others who said the same thing.

But here we are after 25 games and Jeff Green is going through his normal roller coaster ride through the season. He started off slow and passive. He was a horrid rebounder who couldn't score and who's defense was just plain bad. Then the ball started dropping some, he played with confidence and played much better for a few games.

But that confidence breeds complacency in Jeff Green and now we see the result. Over his last five games he's been back to the passive, non-rebounding, poor shooting, bad defense Jeff Green. In that time he has shot 34% from the field, 30% from 3PT land, he didn't shoot more than one free throw in 4 of those 5 games and averaged just 8 PPG and 3 RPG in his usual 23 MPG.

$9 million a year, 4 year contracts are given out to performers that will give you a consistent, everyday, effort and production. That has never been Jeff Green's calling card. He's playing exactly like Jeff Green has always played. Its the reason OKC would give him the money he wanted and its why Danny Ainge should have given him a large, you have to earn it, one year deal and not the contract he got.

And if Green said no, Danny should have let him walk?
Absolutely.

So who's the backup sf, Joseph or Lee?
Honestly don't remember who was available. If the Celtics weren't committed to Jeff early on my guess is after solidifying the SG position after Ray left, back up SF would have been their next priority.

If you remember our cap position at the time it was either get jeff green with his rights or sign some minimum level floopsy. Pietrus wanted more than minimum level money. I would rather Jeff green than some flog that 29 other teams have rejected. This signing was the right move to try and be competitive at small forward this year.

A $40 mil back-up for PP?

This is what dumb teams do. And why they stink in many cases for decades, not years. Because typically, smart organizations don't ever go where you just went. You sign impact players to big deals, and role players to intelligent short reasonable contracts.... because they're replaceable.

And if you're not really good, let it go -- you're more likely to get good by being bad then you are by being mediocre. 

Only All-stars are worth >mid-level. No Bargnanis. No Ty Thomases. No Villenuevas. For Pete's sake, Barbosa is a better basketball player than Green.

I challenge anyone to suggest what they feel the Celtics would be missing without Green. If the only answer is "a back-up to Pierce", or even worse "a SF once Pierce heads towards retirement", then you know how bad the signing is.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 10:48:40 PM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)