Author Topic: This is why Jeff Green's contract is so bad  (Read 14468 times)

Re: This is why Jeff Green's contract is so bad
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 11:43:01 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
We should have never have signed him without seeing him play.   That was silly.  He is not a carry team guy.

Huh?  He had seen him play for what?  4 years? 

And honestly, if he were a carry team guy, he would have demanded a lot more than $9 million per year. 

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2012, 12:13:51 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Never said titled contender. There are probably 15 to maybe even 20 teams that would give Green this contract and be perfectly happy with it. These teams are all lottery bound but I bet would still give Green this contract.

I'm sorry, what? I highly doubt there was 1 other team willing to give him that deal. He's actually playing worse than he was on OKC - PER and WS/48 are at a career low. Yes, he's playing less minutes, but it's not like he's being efficient in the minutes he's playing.

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2012, 12:16:36 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Never said titled contender. There are probably 15 to maybe even 20 teams that would give Green this contract and be perfectly happy with it. These teams are all lottery bound but I bet would still give Green this contract.

I'm sorry, what? I highly doubt there was 1 other team willing to give him that deal. He's actually playing worse than he was on OKC - PER and WS/48 are at a career low. Yes, he's playing less minutes, but it's not like he's being efficient in the minutes he's playing.

Hes not a guy who can come off the bench and score and add instant offense. I dont think you can compare his 48 per minutes in OKC vs his 48 per minute off the bench in Boston. His role was completely different on both teams. If we didnt sign him, a number of teams would have given him this deal to be their starting SF.

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2012, 12:40:59 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I highly doubt that no other team would give Green either the same or almost the same deal. A similar bid from another team is the only rational reason Danny would offer him such a contract.

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2012, 01:20:21 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
There's been zero indication in Green's career that he's going to be more productive on a per minute basis if he plays more minutes.

As mentioned, his per36 production has been remarkably similar over his career, and remarkably mediocre too.  A well paid 6th man has to come on and do damage in his minutes, like Crawford is doing for the Clippers, or JET did for many of his years in Dallas.

DA could have gotten any bargain basement scrub to score 9 points on 43% shooting in 22 minutes, grab a rebound every 7.5 minutes, get an assist every other game, and play mediocre defense.

Green has been a total disaster as a 6th man for the first quarter of the season.  At $4m a year, it's not as big a deal as at $9m a year.  What concerns me the most is that he isn't willing to play hard for any stretch of time whatsoever.  Jeff Green has a Tourette's Syndrome motor. Once in a while, he'll burst out with something loud and memorable, and the rest of the time he just floats through the game. 

I can't wait for January 15th,  and hope there's an NBA GM who wants to pay $9m a year the next 3 1/2 years for something he can get for three or four million.   

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2012, 02:13:28 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

I highly doubt that no other team would give Green either the same or almost the same deal. A similar bid from another team is the only rational reason Danny would offer him such a contract.

could be. but I remember reading the below article and thinking, 'this sounds like an agent trying to drum up interest'. "12 to 14" teams is sales talk.... a crock.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/06/16/jeff.green/index.html

meanwhile, i never found a single count of a team being acknowledged as pursuing Green, which is pretty darm strange in the current world of media. anyway the celtics should be capable of discerning when a players actual value has been exceeded by bidding and desperation. you just pass.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2012, 03:48:51 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Just to add perspective, Rondo only makes 2 million a year more than Green. Win some, lose some.

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2012, 03:51:14 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
he's probably in need of a good chunk of games. I mean we are what, 27 games in?

I don't like making more excuses for him but I think we owe him more than 30 games to judge his contract.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2012, 04:39:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
he's probably in need of a good chunk of games. I mean we are what, 27 games in?

I don't like making more excuses for him but I think we owe him more than 30 games to judge his contract.
But when his per minute production is almost the exact same production now as it has been his entire career, I think it fair to expect the exact same production for all four years of the contract.

More minutes are only going to mean proportional production because he hasn't shown any drop off in per minute production when he had his minutes go from starter minutes to bench minutes.

His per minute production isn't worth $9 million a year. Expecting his per minute production to change and for him to become something he has never shown himself to be is illogical.

As Chris brought up, and this was something I thought as soon as he was signed, Ainge signed him to a $9 million slot because he thought he could use a $9 million slot to trade regardless of how good the player playing in that slot was playing. So ultimately it might be a good contract because it brings in someone of better quality but that is still to be determined. As of now, its a bad contract.

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2012, 04:43:38 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
It may very well be a bad contract with Green on the Celtics roster, much as Perkins' deal is atrocious for Oklahoma City.

But I am with Chris here - it is too premature to make a blanket statement on this Green contract until we find out whether he stays or goes.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2012, 04:48:00 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
As Chris brought up, and this was something I thought as soon as he was signed, Ainge signed him to a $9 million slot because he thought he could use a $9 million slot to trade regardless of how good the player playing in that slot was playing. So ultimately it might be a good contract because it brings in someone of better quality but that is still to be determined. As of now, its a bad contract.

I thought the same thing about a salary "slot".  If so, I think he's not meant to be a trade asset before the summer of 2014.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2012, 05:05:40 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
We should have never have signed him without seeing him play.   That was silly.  He is not a carry team guy.

Huh?  He had seen him play for what?  4 years? 

And honestly, if he were a carry team guy, he would have demanded a lot more than $9 million per year.
Wait, there are guys who can carry teams that sign for 9 mil per over 4 years? I'd love me one or two of these.

Sadly, that doesn't happen. 9 million likely get you someone who contributes as much as Green did in his days as a starter. The problem is the current lineup isn't constructed in a way in which he can get 30 minutes a night, which means there will be pepetual talk about him underperforming.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2012, 05:16:24 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
A few people mentioned Green turning a corner.  Didn't he turn a corner 3 weeks ago?  Then after 4 games or so he turned another corner and ended up exactly where he started.

The consistent minutes excuse is ridiculous too.  Do you think Lebron would suck if he only played one quarter?  Would Pierce or KG suck if they only played 20min?  Thats crazy.  If anything, Green should be able to play with more energy and coast way less.

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2012, 05:29:04 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
WHY do so many people care so much about what Green got paid???  If we was making $7M, would that be better?  What does that extra $2-3M get us?

Danny and the owners are so much better at running an NBA team than the members of Celticsblog. 

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2012, 05:38:28 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
WHY do so many people care so much about what Green got paid???  If we was making $7M, would that be better?  What does that extra $2-3M get us?

Danny and the owners are so much better at running an NBA team than the members of Celticsblog.

Are you trying to assert that in commenting about a league with a salary cap and restrictive trade rules, no one should focus on what individual players have for contracts?

Let's trade for Biedrins.  So what he's going to "earn" $21m the next two years. How about Amare and his uninsured $63m over the next three seasons?

It absolutely does matter that Player A makes $9m x 4 years when you can get the same production from a vetmin making 1/8th that with no long term commitment. It matters that his contract isn't $7m per, which would be a more trade-able slot for his production.