Author Topic: Hey, Remember How Pierce Almost Got Traded?  (Read 1621 times)

Hey, Remember How Pierce Almost Got Traded?
« on: December 20, 2012, 04:58:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
So, folks around here have been quick to bury Paul Pierce because he's had a bad month from the field.  Last night, I should think, has served as a reminder to those people that Pierce still has it, even if he rarely looks very quick or athletic.  This just in: Pierce has never been a particularly athletic player.  His schtick has for a long time been that he plays slow just long enough to fake out the defender and then can make a move just quick enough to score. 

Anyhow, last night when Paul blew up for 40 I couldn't help thinking of how, according to a number of reports, Danny Ainge almost traded Paul Pierce to the New Jersey Nets at the trade deadline for a top two protected pick and cap filler.  Of course, that deal didn't happen, and the Nets traded for Gerald Wallace instead.  But imagine how much better the Nets would be if they had traded for two or three years of Paul playing like a top scorer instead of however many years Crash remains healthy enough to give them 12 points and some top shelf defense every night.

But how about this -- what would the Celtics look like right now if Paul had been traded?

1. That Ray Allen for O.J. Mayo + pick trade that supposedly came really close to happening -- you know, the one we recently heard the Celtics players helped stop from actually going through?  The  almost-trade that was a major factor in Ray deciding to take his talents to south beach?  My guess is if Paul was traded, Ray would have been, too.  That means O.J. Mayo would have finished the season in Boston, and the Cs would have gotten first crack at signing him in the off-season.  That late first round pick would have been an asset too.

2. Kevin Garnett would have retired, or at least signed somewhere else.  No Pierce means no contending for titles, and no contending for titles mean KG would have hung 'em up -- or maybe signed with another team for close to the max, if somebody was willing to pony up. 

3. No Jason Terry.  JET came here to win, not rebuild.  No Pierce or KG means a rebuild.

4. The Celtics probably would have signed O.J. Mayo -- like I said, they would have had first crack at him, and could offer a starting spot, at least until Avery Bradley returned.  With or without a guaranteed starting spot, the Cs could have guaranteed Mayo a large role in an offense suddenly devoid of its top three options.  Not to mention they would have had plenty of cap space they needed to use.

5. Green still would have signed, for about the same money.  Most of the same important factors apply: the Celtics stuck with Green during his surgery and rehab, and they were thus first to the negotiating table.  Green would basically be guaranteed the starting small forward spot, too.  In this scenario I'm guessing he'd be on board.

6. Bass would probably have re-signed, too.  Same principle as Green.  He likes it here and there would have been a large role available for him.  Money to spend.

7. The Celtics would have had the #6 pick, along with a pick in the late teens (their own, higher than it ended up being because they would have lost more games to end the season), and another in the early twenties (the Clips' pick), and the late twenties (the Grizz pick).  Based on what we heard during the draft, I'm sure Danny would have tried like heck to move up in the draft, but ultimately would have stayed put and drafted the player he supposedly liked a lot: Harrison Barnes.

8. Ainge apparently liked Jared Sullinger, so even picking a few spots higher, I think he still would have taken Sully.  Same with Fab Melo -- a project like Fab makes even more sense during a rebuild.

9. The Grizz pick might have gotten traded for a future pick, or a couple of second rounders, or something else.  I'm not sure.  But let's just assume they took the guy the Grizz took, who the Celtics supposedly also gave some consideration -- Tony Wroten.  Kris Joseph probably would have been picked too.  Or not.  Who cares?  Unlikely to get a rotation guy back there in the draft.

10. For many of the same reasons as Green coming back, I think Wilcox probably would have signed on.  Collins and Barbosa -- probably not.  They signed here for low money to win, it seems to me.

11. The Courtney Lee trade probably wouldn't have happened.  Lee agreed to be signed and traded here to play for Doc on a winning team.  Especially with Mayo already on board, I doubt that happens.  That means that E'Twaun Moore and JaJuan would probably still be on the roster.

Where does that leave us so far?

Rondo / Moore / Wroten
Bradley / Mayo
Green / Barnes / Joseph
Bass / Sullinger / Johnson
Wilcox / Melo

Looks like the Celtics are still missing a starting center, and they probably would still have some money to spend, having only given significant deals to Bass, Green, and Mayo.

12. A name batted around close to the trade deadline last year was J.J. Hickson; he may still have signed with Portland, but it wouldn't surprise me if Ainge had exceeded the Blazers' offer of $4 million for a year.  He could have afforded to give Hickson $10-12 over 2 years without losing much flexibility.  Hickson would have the starting job without any competition from guys like LaMarcus Aldridge or lottery pick Meyers Leonard.

13. In this scenario I wouldn't be surprised to see Dooling stick around instead of retiring, seeing as the Celtics could pay him well and he'd pretty much just be a coach on the bench (or on the floor for short stretches) anyway.  Dooling seemed to relish his role as a mentor and enjoys player development, so he wouldn't be turned off by a rebuild.

So that leaves us, in this INCREDIBLY hypothetical scenario, with the following roster:

Rondo / Dooling / Wroten
Bradley / Mayo / Moore
Green / Barnes / Joseph
Bass / Sullinger / Johnson
Hickson / Wilcox / Melo

Bottom line:

You think the Celtics have underperformed so far this season?  You think they've been disappointing?  Played bad basketball?  Well, imagine how many games that team would be losing.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Hey, Remember How Pierce Almost Got Traded?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 05:12:20 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
Wouldn't we have gotten the 6th pick in the draft too?

Which for Portland turned out to be Lillard.

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 05:18:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Right, Portland picked Lillard.

My guess is that Ainge would have taken Barnes.  Taking Lillard wouldn't make much sense with Rondo and Bradley already on board.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 05:29:11 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Pierce has more value than Wallace, and the Nets would have had to sweeten that deal with something more than the sixth pick. If the Cs had decided to go the rebuilding road, the sixth pick and someone more useful, like Anthony Morrow.

Then trade Allen to the Griz for Mayo and a first round pick, and package two picks in the 20s to move up to get Meyers Leonard.  Pick Barnes, Leonard, and Sullinger. 

Convince KG not to retire, and do a S and T to a contender like Chicago (along with one of our lesser FAs like Bass to balance out the money) and sign Gibson and Asik.

Rondo, Barboza (or CJ Watson), Moore
Bradley, Mayo
Barnes, Morrow, cheapie FA like  CJ Miles
Gibson, Sully, JJJ
Asik, Leonard

That's not a bad roster for a rebuilding team.  Two of the best young rebounders.  Two rookie bigs with upside.  a bunch of athletic wing scorers.  And Rondo running the show. This team would also be able to sign a max FA the following summer. 

Rebuilding by trading two of the big 3 at the deadline could have gone well.  If KG decides to retire instead of chase another ring (and I have a feeling that he would have agreed to play for Thibs for two years in his second hometown), and the Cs pick a stiff at six and can't move up by packaging two of their three picks in the 20s, we could be rooting for a 32-50 team for a few years.   

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 05:55:30 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279

My guess is that Ainge would have taken Barnes.  Taking Lillard wouldn't make much sense with Rondo and Bradley already on board.
Yeah, no way Ainge would've taken Lillard.  But Barnes or Drummond could have definitely made a long term impact.

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 07:00:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Pierce has more value than Wallace, and the Nets would have had to sweeten that deal with something more than the sixth pick. If the Cs had decided to go the rebuilding road, the sixth pick and someone more useful, like Anthony Morrow.

Then trade Allen to the Griz for Mayo and a first round pick, and package two picks in the 20s to move up to get Meyers Leonard.  Pick Barnes, Leonard, and Sullinger. 

Convince KG not to retire, and do a S and T to a contender like Chicago (along with one of our lesser FAs like Bass to balance out the money) and sign Gibson and Asik.

Rondo, Barboza (or CJ Watson), Moore
Bradley, Mayo
Barnes, Morrow, cheapie FA like  CJ Miles
Gibson, Sully, JJJ
Asik, Leonard

That's not a bad roster for a rebuilding team.  Two of the best young rebounders.  Two rookie bigs with upside.  a bunch of athletic wing scorers.  And Rondo running the show. This team would also be able to sign a max FA the following summer. 

Rebuilding by trading two of the big 3 at the deadline could have gone well.  If KG decides to retire instead of chase another ring (and I have a feeling that he would have agreed to play for Thibs for two years in his second hometown), and the Cs pick a stiff at six and can't move up by packaging two of their three picks in the 20s, we could be rooting for a 32-50 team for a few years.   

With Rose out most of this year, I just don't see Chicago trading us Asik and Gibson for a couple years of KG. 
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 07:13:01 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
With Rose out most of this year, I just don't see Chicago trading us Asik and Gibson for a couple years of KG.
This is an old thread; Asik is starting for the Rockets at this point.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 07:18:07 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Yeah, no way Ainge would've taken Lillard.  But Barnes or Drummond could have definitely made a long term impact.

It would be beautiful to have Andre Drummond. So raw but so much physical talent.

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 07:23:34 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

It would be beautiful to have Andre Drummond. So raw but so much physical talent.

Agreed. It would be awesome to have Drummond in celtics green. Him and Rondo could be a force in a few years. Drummond has all the physical talent of Dwight Howard with potentially better attitude/work ethic.

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 07:33:07 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Agreed. It would be awesome to have Drummond in celtics green. Him and Rondo could be a force in a few years. Drummond has all the physical talent of Dwight Howard with potentially better attitude/work ethic.

I think Drummond, Lillard and Davis are the three guys in this draft that have tools to be truly dominant.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 05:16:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
This is an old thread; Asik is starting for the Rockets at this point.

Not an old thread, but a retrospective one.
- Mark Twain