Author Topic: I think less of the NBA after Stern suspended the Spurs for sitting their guys.  (Read 950 times)

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Coaches should be able to make a strategic decision regarding the health and rest of their players without repercussions from the league office. This fine tells me they are more concerned about ratings than allowing teams naturally compete with their own strategies. I cannot help but wonder the length they've gone to protect or manufacture ratings in the past after this…

The only color that matters is GREEN

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think more of it.  I am more likely to buy tickets, knowing that Stern has at least sent the message that sitting healthy stars will not be tolerated.  They still have a long ways to go, but it is progress IMO. 

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I think more of it.  I am more likely to buy tickets, knowing that Stern has at least sent the message that sitting healthy stars will not be tolerated.  They still have a long ways to go, but it is progress IMO.

But what kind of precendent does this set? So the Celtics won't be able to rest KG and Pierce down the stretch of the season now if we're in position?
The only color that matters is GREEN

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

But what kind of precendent does this set? So the Celtics won't be able to rest KG and Pierce down the stretch of the season now if we're in position?

Ultimately, its not really setting any real precedent, other than to tell teams that there needs to be a limit to this.

Strategically sit a star here or there, to get them healthy, thats one thing.  Sit your 4 best players in a premier game (that many fans payed a LOT of money to see), when they are all (presumably) healthy...and even send them home early?  Too extreme.

I would prefer the NBA would take an even stronger stance, and not allow teams to sit any healthy players (at least lie to me and tell me they are injured!), but thats not going to happen.  But its a step in the right direction.

The idea that healthy players can't play 82 games and be effective in the playoffs is a bad culture change IMO. 

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Ultimately, its not really setting any real precedent, other than to tell teams that there needs to be a limit to this.

Strategically sit a star here or there, to get them healthy, thats one thing.  Sit your 4 best players in a premier game (that many fans payed a LOT of money to see), when they are all (presumably) healthy...and even send them home early?  Too extreme.

I would prefer the NBA would take an even stronger stance, and not allow teams to sit any healthy players (at least lie to me and tell me they are injured!), but thats not going to happen.  But its a step in the right direction.

The idea that healthy players can't play 82 games and be effective in the playoffs is a bad culture change IMO.

Its not really a good argument to make when you are talking about Tim Duncan who has played 1000 games. I mean Tim Duncan is "healthy" but not really. Its actually kind of ridiculous to think that cause he is "healthy" he should play 100 games in a season.

I also think this whole "buy tickets to see stars/ not fair tonthe fans thing is a little ridiculous". I mean should he have played duncan 5 minutes or is it like a 20 minute minimum?

It sets a terrible precedent and a precedent that all true NBA fans fear. The NBA is worried about ratings and stars more than the product. So they manipulate match ups? What do they tell the referees to do? I mean its pretty obvious that some sketchy stuff goes on just the less we have of it the better.

What I would like is for them to call the travels I used to get called for in middle school, or to call fouls on the most physical defender in the league more than once every 5other games.

Truthfully there are a lot of terrible things in the league this is just adding another notch to the belt.

Oh hey remember when Stern vetoed a trade and vetoed Stan Van Gundy from the ESPN broadcast?