Author Topic: Prediction Time  (Read 1323 times)

Prediction Time
« on: December 20, 2012, 03:17:57 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Doc starting Collins will be a harbinger of things to come. Last year with Garnett moving to the five the Celtics took off. Before then the Celtics always put a good defensive center next to KG.

This year the defense has faltered, through no fault of Garnett. The team is noticeably better with him on the court but hen he comes off the court the defense takes a nose dive. Starting a quality defensive five allows the Celtics to set the tone defensively at the outset. Keeping this center in the game after Kg comes out of the game will allow the defense to continue even with KG out of the game.

Jason Collins is a good player and can fill this role for spot minutes but if this team is to emerge they need someone better. That is why my prediction is that the Celtics will 100% trade for an athletic defensive minded big to improve the defense.

As far as targets I think Varejao and Gortat will end up too expensive for the Celtics prospect wise. I expect the Celtics to go after the likes of Jason Thompson, Timofy Mosgov, Samuel Dalembert and Nene.

I think Nene is a dark horse but it would probably cost us Lee, Sullinger and Bass. If anyone has any other names that would be a good fit I'd love to hear them.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Re: Prediction Time
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 03:45:48 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Doc starting Collins will be a harbinger of things to come. Last year with Garnett moving to the five the Celtics took off. Before then the Celtics always put a good defensive center next to KG.

This year the defense has faltered, through no fault of Garnett. The team is noticeably better with him on the court but hen he comes off the court the defense takes a nose dive. Starting a quality defensive five allows the Celtics to set the tone defensively at the outset. Keeping this center in the game after Kg comes out of the game will allow the defense to continue even with KG out of the game.

Jason Collins is a good player and can fill this role for spot minutes but if this team is to emerge they need someone better. That is why my prediction is that the Celtics will 100% trade for an athletic defensive minded big to improve the defense.

As far as targets I think Varejao and Gortat will end up too expensive for the Celtics prospect wise. I expect the Celtics to go after the likes of Jason Thompson, Timofy Mosgov, Samuel Dalembert and Nene.

I think Nene is a dark horse but it would probably cost us Lee, Sullinger and Bass. If anyone has any other names that would be a good fit I'd love to hear them.

I think Gortat is obtainable. The Suns are wallowing in the relm of horrible rebuilding teams and they really have no use for him there. Their best bet is to get some young players back in return. Lee, Sullinger and Melo for Gortat is more than a fair trade for both sides in my mind. Lee is young and better than any other SG the Suns have right now, Sully has the potential to be a stud in this league and Melo, although he is quite raw, is an intriguing prospect to say the least. Gortat isn't great but is very good and would be a match up nightmare for the Heat. 

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 04:11:18 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324

I think Gortat is obtainable. The Suns are wallowing in the relm of horrible rebuilding teams and they really have no use for him there. Their best bet is to get some young players back in return. Lee, Sullinger and Melo for Gortat is more than a fair trade for both sides in my mind. Lee is young and better than any other SG the Suns have right now, Sully has the potential to be a stud in this league and Melo, although he is quite raw, is an intriguing prospect to say the least. Gortat isn't great but is very good and would be a match up nightmare for the Heat.

I concur. I've been beating the Gortat drum for a while, and a Lee/Sully/Melo package would give the Suns some good young pieces to help in their rebuild.

Edit: And I just got my first star! Woohoooooooooo!!!  ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 04:32:30 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I would be perfectly happy to give up those three (even more) to land Nene.

I could see Washington moving Nene.

Wrongly believing that Nene cannot fit alongside John Wall because they are using as a PF alongside a limited offensive threat like Okafor instead of as a pick and roll center playing off of Wall's dribble penetration and surrounded by shooters.

John Wall's injury might throw a wrench into that though. They may hold off on making a move until after Wall returns and they have a better idea of what they have.

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 05:13:18 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I would be perfectly happy to give up those three (even more) to land Nene.

I could see Washington moving Nene.

Wrongly believing that Nene cannot fit alongside John Wall because they are using as a PF alongside a limited offensive threat like Okafor instead of as a pick and roll center playing off of Wall's dribble penetration and surrounded by shooters.

John Wall's injury might throw a wrench into that though. They may hold off on making a move until after Wall returns and they have a better idea of what they have.
The problem with Nene is his contract and injury history. More his injury history because if he never got injured no one would complain about the contract.

As for Gortat I think his price is higher than that. The suns are really trying to get Beasley out of town, the price of getting Gortat might include taking on Beasley. Would you do a deal of Sullinger, Lee, Bass and a first for Beasley and Gortat?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 05:21:20 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Would you do a deal of Sullinger, Lee, Bass and a first for Beasley and Gortat?
Yes. A very quick yes at that.

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 05:25:57 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Beasley does not interest me at all.  He'd be on his 4th team in 4 years.  He is a terrible fit for this team, even though he is a flexible big.

I don't know about trading Sullinger either, though I am sure the Suns want cheap youth.  They will probably ask for Bradley.  Deal breaker IMO.

If you could swing Bass + Lee plus picks for Gortat, I'd do that.  I like Bass, but he is expendable with Jeff Green on our roster.  Courtney Lee just seems like a poor fit.

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 09:38:51 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

yup
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 09:43:49 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460

Beasley does not interest me at all.  He'd be on his 4th team in 4 years.  He is a terrible fit for this team, even though he is a flexible big.

I don't know about trading Sullinger either, though I am sure the Suns want cheap youth.  They will probably ask for Bradley.  Deal breaker IMO.

If you could swing Bass + Lee plus picks for Gortat, I'd do that.  I like Bass, but he is expendable with Jeff Green on our roster.  Courtney Lee just seems like a poor fit.

Beasley would be a fine fit here, I think. He would essentially take on Bass's ideal (at least by my standards) role on the team (the third-string big). And then Gortat would be our starting 5, which is the real prize... a HUGE upgrade alongside KG.

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 10:04:28 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Beasley would be a fine fit here, I think. He would essentially take on Bass's ideal (at least by my standards) role on the team (the third-string big). And then Gortat would be our starting 5, which is the real prize... a HUGE upgrade alongside KG.

I like Beasley here in Boston more as a starter than a reserve. Anywhere (on any team) for that matter. I don't think he'll handle being a reserve very well. Beasley is a guy who needs to feel needed / wanted. Needs big minutes, lots of touches and freedom to take a lot of shot attempts. 

I think he'll struggle in a bench role here in Boston.

But that's fine ... because Gortat will be here and that trade would still be a big upgrade for the team even with Beasley struggling.

Edit: I would be inclined to sign Kenyon Martin and Chris Andersen as well to play behind KG and Gortat. Let them play instead of Beasley if/when he becomes too undependable.