Author Topic: Pau Gasol - We need to make a move for him.  (Read 12946 times)

Re: Pau Gasol - We need to make a move for him.
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2012, 09:29:25 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
The Cs trade for Gasol and his outsized contract if they want to go all in on the last two years of KG's career.  IF the Lakers would bite on Green, Lee and Bass for Gasol and Clark, and the Cs then sign a decent buyout vet to fill out the back of the rotation, they'd have a punchers' chance at the Finals again.

I don't see Bargnani and a half year rental of Calderon as much value for Gasol.  At least with the Cs package you get three young athletic guys who can either take a role on the Lakers or be moved in the summer for better fitting pieces.

The way Pekovic is playing for the Wolves, they'd be crazy to move him for the aging, expensive Gasol. Atlanta is not trading Smith or Horford for him.  Houston doesn't have any big contracts to match money with the Lakers even if they wanted Gasol still.   

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2012, 10:45:40 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The Cs trade for Gasol and his outsized contract if they want to go all in on the last two years of KG's career.  IF the Lakers would bite on Green, Lee and Bass for Gasol and Clark, and the Cs then sign a decent buyout vet to fill out the back of the rotation, they'd have a punchers' chance at the Finals again.

I don't see Bargnani and a half year rental of Calderon as much value for Gasol.  At least with the Cs package you get three young athletic guys who can either take a role on the Lakers or be moved in the summer for better fitting pieces.

The way Pekovic is playing for the Wolves, they'd be crazy to move him for the aging, expensive Gasol. Atlanta is not trading Smith or Horford for him.  Houston doesn't have any big contracts to match money with the Lakers even if they wanted Gasol still.   
Bargnani is a better player by himself than Green, Lee, or Bass and he is a much better fit in the Lakers system.  He is also pretty young and his contract isn't much different than Green's.  Nash is hurt right now and will probably miss more time.  Calderon is a pretty good backup and I certainly think the Lakers would consider re-signing him in the off season, to be the back-up/part time starter.  I also think in Dantoni's system, Calderon and Nash could play together at times, especially with the league's penchant for playing smaller.  You don't take on less talent because it fits better, especially when you are giving up a player as good as Gasol still is.  It is just silly.  Green, Lee, Bass is a horrible trade for the Lakers, now if Boston started adding assets like Sullinger, Bradley, draft picks, then the Lakers may bite, of course then it isn't worth it for Boston.

Pekovic is a good player, but he isn't good enough to get Minny over the hump, Gasol is.  So Minnesota would absolutely trade Pekovic, Williams, and Barea for Gasol and that would leave them with a starting 5 of Gasol, Love, AK 47, Lee, and Rubio with Shved, Budinger, Roy, Ridnour, Howard, and Cunningham not to mention Stiemer and Amundson on the bench.  That would be a top 4 team in the West and would pose a lot of problems for every single team in the league including Miami.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2012, 11:47:54 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Bargnani is a better player by himself than Green, Lee, or Bass and he is a much better fit in the Lakers system.  He is also pretty young and his contract isn't much different than Green's.  Nash is hurt right now and will probably miss more time.  Calderon is a pretty good backup and I certainly think the Lakers would consider re-signing him in the off season, to be the back-up/part time starter.  I also think in Dantoni's system, Calderon and Nash could play together at times, especially with the league's penchant for playing smaller.  You don't take on less talent because it fits better, especially when you are giving up a player as good as Gasol still is.  It is just silly.  Green, Lee, Bass is a horrible trade for the Lakers, now if Boston started adding assets like Sullinger, Bradley, draft picks, then the Lakers may bite, of course then it isn't worth it for Boston.

Bargs is a pretty weak player. He's a fairly inefficient scorer and takes about 4 three pointers a game even though he's been hitting about 30% of them over the last 2 years. He'd be considered a pretty decent rebounder if he was a point guard and isn't really known for his defense. And a Nash/Calderon back court would be quite a defensive liability..

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2012, 11:56:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Bargs is a pretty weak player. He's a fairly inefficient scorer and takes about 4 three pointers a game even though he's been hitting about 30% of them over the last 2 years. He'd be considered a pretty decent rebounder if he was a point guard and isn't really known for his defense. And a Nash/Calderon back court would be quite a defensive liability..
When Bargs was playing with Bosh he was a pretty efficient scorer.  Since Bosh left, he has had to uptick his shots and has way more defense on him and his efficiency has suffered because of it.  You put him next to Dwight on a team with Kobe and he will go back to the 40% three point shooter and much closer to 50% overall.  His defense will also greatly improve as he won't be playing out of position.  Bargs is a better player than Jeff Green and would be a significantly better fit on L.A. and it really isn't close. 

Calderon and Nash you couldn't really start, but they could certainly play a few minutes here and there together.  Heck last game Boston started 6'2" Terry and 6'1" Rondo, not exactly a towering back court. 

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2012, 12:01:11 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

When Bargs was playing with Bosh he was a pretty efficient scorer.  Since Bosh left, he has had to uptick his shots and has way more defense on him and his efficiency has suffered because of it.  You put him next to Dwight on a team with Kobe and he will go back to the 40% three point shooter and much closer to 50% overall.  His defense will also greatly improve as he won't be playing out of position.  Bargs is a better player than Jeff Green and would be a significantly better fit on L.A. and it really isn't close. 

Calderon and Nash you couldn't really start, but they could certainly play a few minutes here and there together.  Heck last game Boston started 6'2" Terry and 6'1" Rondo, not exactly a towering back court.

Agreed. Bargniani is a much better player than Green and would thrive on both ends of the floor next to D12 and with Nash as a PG. Not even close. Calderon can certainly play together with Nash, and can take over once Nash retires. This is a much better deal for the lakers than what the celtics can offer unless we give up Bradley and Sullinger.

« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2012, 12:11:52 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
If Toronto wants to get rid of Bargs, I'd take him.  He is much better than what we have to offer in the front court now, and basically gives you what Jeff Green does, but with better shooting, a little shot blocking, and more at a position of need.

That would open up the floor even more for everyone else, and add someone other than Pierce and Terry, who you can count on as a 3 point threat. 

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2012, 12:27:37 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Bargs isn't really an efficient scorer and never really was. He's in his 7th season and he's only been over 40% on threes once. He's never come close to 50% overall, in fact he's only been over 45% once. I don't share your high hopes for any major defensive improvements. And the problem with Nash and Calderon on defense is their defense, not their size.

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2012, 01:14:01 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Quote from: CFAN38 on Yesterday at 02:51:28 PM

Lets say the Cs and LAL agree to the following trade

Green + Bass + Lee

for

Gasol + Ebanks

Then our rotation becomes

pg  Rondo
    sg  AB
    sf  Pierce
    pf  KG
    c   Gasol
    6th Terry
    7th Sully
    8th Ebanks

La's Cecomes

pg  Nash
    Sg  Lee/Meeks
    SF  Kobe
    PF  Green
    C   Howard
    6th Lee/Meeks
    7th Meta
    8th Bass

My worry is how this celtics team will match up with NY and miami. When both teams go small and play SFs at PF (james, melo) how do the Cs match up? Also how will rondo play with Gasol?

In the end i say this is a solid win now trade but leaves the Cs with little for the post KG/PP era.

So let me get this straight, Kobe starts at SF and Green starts at PF for the Lakers. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.... NOT.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-kobe-bryant-expected-to-play-small-forward/2012/12/20/

.. The lakers announced the other day that they where going to start Kobe at SF and move meeks into the starting lineup in order to spread the floor better. So kobe at SF and Lee at SG is totally possible.

In weeks past meta was moved to the bench to play the role of stretch 4 when gasol is on the bench. Ebanks replaced him as the starter.

Jeff Green as a Dantoni PF makes alot of sense. He would sprad the floor and let them run.

To me this makes a lot of sense
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2012, 01:46:38 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I wonder how fixated the Lakers are on 2014 cap space.  It's going to be difficult for them to upgrade the team in a Pau trade if they are dogmatic about not adding any contracts that run past that date.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2012, 02:06:44 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I wonder how fixated the Lakers are on 2014 cap space.  It's going to be difficult for them to upgrade the team in a Pau trade if they are dogmatic about not adding any contracts that run past that date.
I don't think it's going to be an important for LA. I can't see Kobe leaving in a year and half's time and I doubt the Lakers front office / ownership consider it a real possibility either.

They won't be willing to push Kobe aside to sign a different player either. They want Kobe to play his entire career there like Magic Johnson did. This isn't a Shaquille O'Neal type situation. This is a Magic Johnson type situation. Kobe isn't going anywhere.

Between Kobe and Dwight, they'll probably have $40 million tied up in those two alone. With other cap charges, they'll probably be up around $47-49 million so they'll have $8-12 million in cap space at most. And that is only if they cut their squad to the bare bones. Not enough upside there for LA.

I don't think cap space in 2014 has any importance in LA's decision making.

« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2012, 02:18:46 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I don't think it's going to be an important for LA. I can't see Kobe leaving in a year and half's time and I doubt the Lakers front office / ownership consider it a real possibility either.

They won't be willing to push Kobe aside to sign a different player either. They want Kobe to play his entire career there like Magic Johnson did. This isn't a Shaquille O'Neal type situation. This is a Magic Johnson type situation. Kobe isn't going anywhere.

Between Kobe and Dwight, they'll probably have $40 million tied up in those two alone. With other cap charges, they'll probably be up around $47-49 million so they'll have $8-12 million in cap space at most. And that is only if they cut their squad to the bare bones. Not enough upside there for LA.

I was thinking their plan might be to get Kobe to take a discount, i.e. something along the lines of the KG deal, to bring the Kobe + Dwight total to something like $33 mil, opening up a max slot.

2014 is potentially an incredible year for free agent small forwards: LeBron, Melo, Iguodala, Deng, Gay, Granger...
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2012, 02:37:49 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I was thinking their plan might be to get Kobe to take a discount, i.e. something along the lines of the KG deal, to bring the Kobe + Dwight total to something like $33 mil, opening up a max slot.

2014 is potentially an incredible year for free agent small forwards: LeBron, Melo, Iguodala, Deng, Gay, Granger...
I see 2 reasons why Kobe won't take a cut for a FA. 
1) kobe will always see himself as the alpha dog and therefore see himself as deserving the biggest paycheck. 
2) all of those names would outshine Kobe and he can't have that--especially if they were to win a title and Kobe would be back to hearing how he's owes yet another title win to riding someone else's coattails (like when he played with Shaq and to a lesser-extent Gasol)

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2012, 02:40:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Bargs isn't really an efficient scorer and never really was. He's in his 7th season and he's only been over 40% on threes once. He's never come close to 50% overall, in fact he's only been over 45% once. I don't share your high hopes for any major defensive improvements. And the problem with Nash and Calderon on defense is their defense, not their size.
His TS% was over 55% twice.  His last two years with Bosh.  That is plenty efficient for a big guy that shoots as many outside shots as he does. 

« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2012, 02:41:59 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Bargnani is a very efficient when he has someone who can help create shots for him. When asked to create his shots for himself, his scoring efficiency is mediocre to sub-par.

In LA, alongside Nash + Dwight + Kobe, Bargnani would have lots of efficient scoring opportunities due to the attention they draw. He'd probably have a 17 points per 36 on around a 57-58% TS%.

I don't like Calderon playing off the ball in a two guard role alongside Nash. Calderon would just be a spot up shooter offensively and a defensive liability on the other end at that position. A Jodie Meeks is the superior player in that role. Meeks' defense is better and he is more aggressive looking for his shot attempts.

Jose Calderon needs the ball in his hands and to run the offense to get that extra offensive value. He can't do that while playing alongside Steve Nash in the same backcourt. I think you can play a scorer like Barbosa (or even a midget like Aaron Brooks) alongside Calderon in the backcourt but not another playmaker / floor general type PG. Especially not someone who needs the ball as much as Nash. Not a good fit.

Nash is only a 28-30mpg a player at this point so Calderon will have around 20 minutes a game backing up Nash. In terms of bench players, there is no position / role that is more important to LA than it's backup PG due to (1) Nash's lack of minutes (2) D'Antoni's offense. Calderon would be a very valuable substitute for LA. And his value would grow next year and the year after as Nash continues to age.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 02:48:39 PM by Who »

« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2012, 02:48:52 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I actually think the deal that makes the most sense for the Lakers if its with Toronto, is more like

Gasol and Blake

for

Bargnani, Calderon, and Fields

Get the stretch 4 that they need to play next to Howard.  Get the defensive/3 point shooting wing, who has thrived in a D'Antoni system before, and get the Nash backup/insurance in Calderon.

If they are determined to try to save this season, to convince Howard to stay, it would be hard to do too much better than that.