Author Topic: Pau Gasol - We need to make a move for him.  (Read 12943 times)

Re: Pau Gasol - We need to make a move for him.
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 04:48:37 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Proposed trade is no where near enough.

Minnesota has reportedly offered Pekovic and Williams (plus other players have to be included just to get to the salary).

Toronto has also reportedly offered Bargnani and Calderon.

Both of those trades are far better packages than anything Boston can offer short of Rondo.  So no trade for Pau will be possible.  A total and utter pipe dream.

Those trades are pretty weak. Bargnani and Calderon are pretty weak players, Williams is pretty underwhelming and Pekovic (not exactly a star) plays the same position as Dwight Howard.

I don't know, I see those as both very good offers for Gasol. Do you honestly consider some combo of Bass, Lee, Green any better?

I don't think it's clearly worse. Lee and Bass aren't playing that great this year but both played better last year, and you could argue that their issues are team issues (like undefined roles) this year.

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 04:51:23 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Hpantazo,

Yes, I think that Green, Bass, and Lee is a better trade this year than Bargnani and Calderon, even though I am a HUGE Calderon fan.  Calderon and Nash are redundant and Calderon is a free agent at the end of this year and LA would likely lose him and only have a joke named Bargnani.

As for Minny, Peko is pretty solid, but they already have Howard.  And Williams is terrible and a LONG term project.  He will NOT be a player until Kobe is a commentator after retiring.

Smitty77

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 05:08:39 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Lets say the Cs and LAL agree to the following trade

Green + Bass + Lee

for

Gasol + Ebanks

Then our rotation becomes

pg  Rondo
sg  AB
sf  Pierce
pf  KG
c   Gasol
6th Terry
7th Sully
8th Ebanks

La's Cecomes

pg  Nash
Sg  Lee/Meeks
SF  Kobe
PF  Green
C   Howard
6th Lee/Meeks
7th Meta
8th Bass

My worry is how this celtics team will match up with NY and miami. When both teams go small and play SFs at PF (james, melo) how do the Cs match up? Also how will rondo play with Gasol?

In the end i say this is a solid win now trade but leaves the Cs with little for the post KG/PP era.
So let me get this straight, Kobe starts at SF and Green starts at PF for the Lakers. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.... NOT.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 05:12:33 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Koz,

If anyone can cover for Green being a soft PF, it would be Superman!!!!  It does make sense when you consider that Dwight is maybe 75-80% back from his back surgery.  He could cover for Green now and will be MORE than able to toward the end of the season.

Smitty77

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 05:17:47 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Hpantazo,

Yes, I think that Green, Bass, and Lee is a better trade this year than Bargnani and Calderon, even though I am a HUGE Calderon fan.  Calderon and Nash are redundant and Calderon is a free agent at the end of this year and LA would likely lose him and only have a joke named Bargnani.

As for Minny, Peko is pretty solid, but they already have Howard.  And Williams is terrible and a LONG term project.  He will NOT be a player until Kobe is a commentator after retiring.

Smitty77

You may be right, I just don't see Bass, Green, and Lee having too much value to the lakers, but I could be wrong. I love Calderon, and if it was my team I would much prefer to have him and a 7 footer who can spread the floor like Bargniani instead.

Wow, I almost threw up at the thought of Kobe the commentator!!! I really hope that once he retires I never see him on live TV again.

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 05:23:22 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Hpantazo,

Smitty77

You may be right, I just don't see Bass, Green, and Lee having too much value to the lakers, but I could be wrong. I love Calderon, and if it was my team I would much prefer to have him and a 7 footer who can spread the floor like Bargniani instead.

Wow, I almost threw up at the thought of Kobe the commentator!!! I really hope that once he retires I never see him on live TV again.
No you are correct.  Bass, Green, Lee is a horrible trade as compared to either the Minnesota or Toronto packages.  Anyone that says otherwise is just drinking green kool aid.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 05:57:04 PM »

Offline Big_Dave31

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37
Hpantazo,

Smitty77

No you are correct.  Bass, Green, Lee is a horrible trade as compared to either the Minnesota or Toronto packages.  Anyone that says otherwise is just drinking green kool aid.

Talent wise, it seems that Sota & Toronto's packages are better, but, do they fit with what the Lakers have already? Also, do they fit D'Antoni's system?
Toronto's package in that sense does fit the system, but, Calderon would be redundant behind Nash & Blake, so it just leaves them with Bargani...
Sota's package is no good for them as previously stated. If they could maybe get AK47 in there, it could be much better for them rather than Pekovic.

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 05:57:55 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Why don't we try to trade Green and something for Bargnani and Pietrus?

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 06:42:14 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Because we don't need another big man who is a mediocre rebounder, doesn't block shots, and likes to shoot jumpers?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 06:47:18 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Hpantazo,

Smitty77

I'm not really big on Bass, Green or Lee but you're crazy if you think the Raptors offer is tremendously better. I guess you load up on the purple kool aid.

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 06:47:50 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Hpantazo,

Smitty77

Talent wise, it seems that Sota & Toronto's packages are better, but, do they fit with what the Lakers have already? Also, do they fit D'Antoni's system?
Toronto's package in that sense does fit the system, but, Calderon would be redundant behind Nash & Blake, so it just leaves them with Bargani...
Sota's package is no good for them as previously stated. If they could maybe get AK47 in there, it could be much better for them rather than Pekovic.

Nash is old and unreliable, there is no guarantee he holds up very long and he can't play major minutes anyway. There is no way, on any team, that Blake plays over Calderon. Calderon is 100x the player that Blake is, and would add a lot to the lakers. I really hope they don't get him. Bargniani, if he recovers in time from his torn elbow ligament, is the perfect complement to D12. A 7 footer with a great jumper who can spread the floor.

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2012, 06:48:13 PM »

Offline Big_Dave31

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37
Because we don't need another big man who is a mediocre rebounder, doesn't block shots, and likes to shoot jumpers?
Couldn't have said it better myself.

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2012, 06:54:13 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Hpantazo,

Smitty77

I'm not really big on Bass, Green or Lee but you're crazy if you think the Raptors offer is tremendously better. I guess you load up on the purple kool aid.

I totally agree. We would be giving up three players signed to [about] market value contracts who have proven to be major rotational players on good teams. I know they aren't necessarily currently playing up to expectations,  but they aren't trash, either. They were all just signed to their current contracts this past off-season!!

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2012, 06:56:26 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Hpantazo,

Smitty77

I totally agree. We would be giving up three players signed to [about] market value contracts who have proven to be major rotational players on good teams. I know they aren't necessarily currently playing up to expectations,  but they aren't trash, either. They were all just signed to their current contracts this past off-season!!

Green's contract is "market value"? Really? Bass is a decent bench player on a fair contract. Lee is an average SG signed to an average deal, but why would teams trade an all-star for these guys?

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2012, 07:01:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Knowing Danny Ainge, he'll find some way to trade for Tyreke Evans and Andrea Bargnani and our team will make no sense and somehow be better.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain