Author Topic: Collins To Start At Center Moves KG Back To The 4.  (Read 4981 times)

Re: Collins To Start At Center Moves KG Back To The 4.
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 06:36:43 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Darko has never panned out as a player though, I don't get the fascination with him are you related?

Team defense was vastly improved but it was the Cavs.   I want to see it against a better team.

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2012, 07:17:37 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Darko has never panned out as a player though, I don't get the fascination with him are you related?

Team defense was vastly improved but it was the Cavs.   I want to see it against a better team.

He has never panned out from the hype he got. But outside of that he's a solid Center. He blocks shots, physical and a good enough post defender.  He's obviously quicker, more agile, and a much more better offensive player than Collins.

All I'm saying is, I'd rather have him there than Collins. I don't expect #2 overall talent and production from him, we are all way passed that, we all know he was taken WAY too high. But he is a better option than Collins is at C. If Doc would have just done this (KG at 4 and a Center), we would still have Darko.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2012, 07:42:46 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
A little weird definitely but something to look out for tonight. Also forgot to mention terry is in the starting lineup again.

IIRC we started losing consecutive games the second took Terry out of the starting lineup.

Likewise at the start of the season, as soon as Terry got moved in to the starting 5 we started winning games.

Maybe I'm just imagining things - is there anyone have access to these stats and can post them up here?  To me it just feels like we are a winning team with Terry starting and a losing team with him on the bench.

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2012, 08:21:59 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2012, 11:09:05 AM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5

He has never panned out from the hype he got. But outside of that he's a solid Center. He blocks shots, physical and a good enough post defender.  He's obviously quicker, more agile, and a much more better offensive player than Collins.

All I'm saying is, I'd rather have him there than Collins. I don't expect #2 overall talent and production from him, we are all way passed that, we all know he was taken WAY too high. But he is a better option than Collins is at C. If Doc would have just done this (KG at 4 and a Center), we would still have Darko.

Great point.... darko is much better than Collins.  They should have gone to that lineup after the first week of the season instead of this fascination with small ball. Team would have a much better record now

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2012, 11:27:33 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
On the one hand, it's nice to see Doc responding to the team's bad play.  On the other hand, for Collins to go from being superglued to the bench at the beginning of the season to starting lineup, it indicates that Doc is just flailing right now.  He doesn't really know what's wrong with the team.  He doesn't have an idea how to fix it.  He's just guessing.

Mike

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2012, 11:33:22 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
On the one hand, it's nice to see Doc responding to the team's bad play.  On the other hand, for Collins to go from being superglued to the bench at the beginning of the season to starting lineup, it indicates that Doc is just flailing right now.  He doesn't really know what's wrong with the team.  He doesn't have an idea how to fix it.  He's just guessing.

Mike

I don't think he's guessing, I think he is sending a message.  He doesn't WANT to play Collins, but he realized he needed to stop rewarding the other bigs for not playing defense. 

Last night (and I think it will continue for at least a few more games) was a big, flashing sign to Bass, Sully, and Wilcox, saying, if you want to start, you WILL play defense.

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2012, 11:49:03 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I Ainge had a talk with him.   I can't prove it but it was a 100% move from what he believes in small ball.  Someone upstairs had to have said something to him.

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2012, 12:05:41 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I Ainge had a talk with him.   I can't prove it but it was a 100% move from what he believes in small ball.  Someone upstairs had to have said something to him.

Or, maybe its the other way around.  Maybe this was Doc's message to Danny saying that he is tired of only having guys 6'8" and under, and that he is going to play the big man, even if he isn't very good. 

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2012, 12:12:15 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Mike

I don't think he's guessing, I think he is sending a message.  He doesn't WANT to play Collins, but he realized he needed to stop rewarding the other bigs for not playing defense. 

Last night (and I think it will continue for at least a few more games) was a big, flashing sign to Bass, Sully, and Wilcox, saying, if you want to start, you WILL play defense.
Yeah, I think so too.

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2012, 12:15:30 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Or, maybe its the other way around.  Maybe this was Doc's message to Danny saying that he is tired of only having guys 6'8" and under, and that he is going to play the big man, even if he isn't very good.

I don't know about that. Ainge gave him some people to work with(Darko 7'0", Collins 7'0", Melo 7'0" Wilcox 6'10").  Now they are not the ones that Doc probably wanted, but they were certainly there, but Doc never really used them.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2012, 12:27:15 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Melo can play as well as Collins right now . 

Collins helped KG , I thought,  he stood in there to clog the dribble penetration.

Varejao would be Sooooooooooooooooo useful to this team. We need his rebounds, interior defense and garbage buckets when Sully isn't in there.

Danny ...PLEASE TRADE for Varejao   ;D

Co signed
if we had Verejao and were able to somehow keep Avery forgetaboutit

"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2012, 12:39:13 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I don't know about that. Ainge gave him some people to work with(Darko 7'0", Collins 7'0", Melo 7'0" Wilcox 6'10").  Now they are not the ones that Doc probably wanted, but they were certainly there, but Doc never really used them.

Darko was hurt, and very uneven, and then left the team before his chance really came around.  Melo is a project who shouldnt be anywhere near an NBA floor anytime soon.  Wilcox has been playing, but he doesn't play defense. 

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2012, 12:46:13 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I think this is one of those things people consider to be realistic because they see enough people saying on places like this blog. When he's had decent/good bigs (Perk, Shaq, Krstic, Sheed) he's played them. When he hasn't he's gone with talent over size. Not that he doesn't try and shake things up *occasionally* with small-ball lineups, but it's extremely unlikely that Danny had a talk with Doc about playing less small ball.

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2012, 12:48:02 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i'd rather see doc himself suit up b4 collins.