Author Topic: What is wrong with the Celtics?  (Read 1204 times)

What is wrong with the Celtics?
« on: December 19, 2012, 03:40:43 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
Why are they struggling so bad?

With all this purported talent they have, why are they only a 500 club with the more difficult part of the schedule ahead of them. Rondo, Kg, and Pierce are playing great. I am not willin tocall this  Red Sox II because they have a strong management team in place but watching this team struggle is not making me feel good and I could use a little Christmas cheer right now from the Celtics  :-[
The beatings will continue until morale improves

Re: What is wrong with the Celtics?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 04:05:34 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

With all this purported talent they have, why are they only a 500 club with the more difficult part of the schedule ahead of them. Rondo, Kg, and Pierce are playing great. I am not willin tocall this  Red Sox II because they have a strong management team in place but watching this team struggle is not making me feel good and I could use a little Christmas cheer right now from the Celtics  :-[

It would be quicker to list what they're doing right;D

I wouldn't say that the Big Three are playing great. Rondo has struggled with turnovers, Pierce has struggled with turnovers and shooting consistency, and KG has lately been struggling to rebound well.

The rest of the team has struggled even more. To sum up Boston's problems in a few quick bullet points:

* Bad defensive rotations
* Too much Rondo dribbling / lack of ball movement
* Using Terry like he's Ray
* No rim protection outside of KG
* As usual, too many turnovers
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 04:37:21 PM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42

Talent? It's a myth. Some Celtic fans are stuck in past euphoria. This is a ordinary team with an ordinary Coach. Looks like the Celts are in for another decade of gloom.The organization tripped over the KG Ray Ray deal but that bomb was ticking the minute they got here. That was a short lived surge. My bet is LA wins another Championship before the Celts finish in the upper tier of the Playoffs.

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 04:44:45 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
They were doing better until this road trip.

Probably just a blip. It's a long season. Peaks and valleys.

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 04:46:29 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Except our peaks have been like anthills and our valleys have been like the Grand Canyon.  ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 05:26:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Talent? It's a myth. Some Celtic fans are stuck in past euphoria. This is a ordinary team with an ordinary Coach. Looks like the Celts are in for another decade of gloom.The organization tripped over the KG Ray Ray deal but that bomb was ticking the minute they got here. That was a short lived surge. My bet is LA wins another Championship before the Celts finish in the upper tier of the Playoffs.
this is exactly correct.  Boston just isn't that good.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

this is exactly correct.  Boston just isn't that good.
I won't make bold negative predictions because there is no sense in it.  It isn't true that we are in for another decade of gloom. It may turn out to be true, but I'm not thinking about that for more than a second.  LA probably wins before the C's, but that's an easy bet given that they have a more talented roster right now.  If LA doesn't win in the next 2 years, that bet becomes much less solid.  The KG/Ray comment is as negative a spin as possible. How about this reframing: Danny did a great job getting Ray and KG and produced a team that won a championship, went to Finals Game 7, and went to an ECF Game 7.  This team produced thrills and memories and a far better result than anything else Danny could have done.

This team looked worse last year.  Not sure they will turn this around by any means, but giving up seems senseless and predictions of gloom bum me -- I'd rather hope for a boost from Avery,  team chemistry progress, and perhaps a season changing trade.  All just as possible as 10 years of gloom.

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 06:20:42 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
This team looked worse last year.  Not sure they will turn this around by any means, but giving up seems senseless and predictions of gloom bum me -- I'd rather hope for a boost from Avery,  team chemistry progress, and perhaps a season changing trade.  All just as possible as 10 years of gloom.

it is indeed and I am hopefull as the next guy
but chemistry progress its up to coach and rotations a lot, Avery is a one man task and Season changing trade is all about Danny. We will really need a BIG BAKTUN to change things around here
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 06:30:55 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Except our peaks have been like anthills and our valleys have been like the Grand Canyon.  ;D

Nah, it just feels like the Grand Canyon if you have been reading too much Celtics Blog.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 06:33:43 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

Nah, it just feels like the Grand Canyon if you have been reading too much Celtics Blog.

I will agree after all we are a .500 not the Los Angeles Lakers. But still have to find who for gods sake is the River (ohhh i didnt do on purpose....) that form the valleys
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 06:42:58 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we will turn it on next year but I do not know about looking worse last year.  Some of our guys look their age.