Author Topic: Time for Doc to go.  (Read 32999 times)

Re: Time for Doc to go.
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2012, 02:06:55 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
I think that statement is pretty ridiculous.  Bradley was forced in and so was steamer, while guys like jjj and Moore road the pine all year even during garbage time.  Holy crap does  anyone think spoelstra is a
great coach?  Prob not in his first year but they got to the finals.  Now do u think he woulda gotten anywhere without bron Wade and bosh?  The players make the team.
Bradley and Steamer both earned their playing time. JJJ isn't even in the NBA right now. I'll grant you E'Twaun, never understood that (maybe he was bad at team defense).

Fact is, Doc plays people who deserve to be played. Sullinger is getting a lot of burn this year, and it's not because we're riddled with injuries or because Bass sucks.

not that he doesnt...

p.s. Doc isnt a good x o coach nor a good rotation coach ive been saying this for years
yes hes the best at motivation and mentoring but that isnt what this teams need
I cant believe how many sub par coaches with lñesser players in paper outcoach him playing their strenghts while doc plays the same old book over and over again.

this is what doc rivers does regularly....................

LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2012, 02:58:58 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
it's also true that you can't point to any cases of Doc not playing players that were as good as Bradley.

What other example do you need besides Bradley?  At the start of last season, he was still playing the sort of very, very limited minutes he did as a rookie and he still looked like crap.  Bradley looked closer to a guy who'd be out of the league soon than he did the starter on a playoff team.

It wasn't until injured FORCED Doc to play Bradley well over 20 minutes a game, allowing Avery to just think about playing, that he transformed.  And if you go back and check, Doc's immediate response to guys getting healthy was to shrink Bradley's minutes back down to nearly nothing.

Mike

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2012, 02:59:52 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
The problem with Doc is Not, not playing the young guys or the old guys or the pgs, or small ball

Is coaching desitions and rotations overall.

Not adjusting and all the things related with during game basketball.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2012, 04:31:13 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
Oh and I am not impressed with our assistant coaches either. What do they do? They all sit there like useless zombies and give everybody a fist bump. grow some cojones and get in somebody's grill for GOD's sake and shake this team up.
;D rofl lol hahahhahaha

« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2012, 04:52:48 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
I think that statement is pretty ridiculous.  Bradley was forced in and so was steamer, while guys like jjj and Moore road the pine all year even during garbage time.  Holy crap does  anyone think spoelstra is a
great coach?  Prob not in his first year but they got to the finals.  Now do u think he woulda gotten anywhere without bron Wade and bosh?  The players make the team.
Bradley and Steamer both earned their playing time. JJJ isn't even in the NBA right now. I'll grant you E'Twaun, never understood that (maybe he was bad at team defense).

Fact is, Doc plays people who deserve to be played. Sullinger is getting a lot of burn this year, and it's not because we're riddled with injuries or because Bass sucks.

not that he doesnt...

p.s. Doc isnt a good x o coach nor a good rotation coach ive been saying this for years
yes hes the best at motivation and mentoring but that isnt what this teams need
I cant believe how many sub par coaches with lñesser players in paper outcoach him playing their strenghts while doc plays the same old book over and over again.

good anaylsis agree 100%.

« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2012, 04:55:39 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
The problem with Doc is Not, not playing the young guys or the old guys or the pgs, or small ball

so he is a terrible in game coach? wow. your postings are confirming my assumptions from the evidence presented this year so far. sad indeed.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2012, 05:08:55 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Doc didn't really have a ton of options with the team we had in the playoffs last year.

And if Doc had had options, we might still not know how good Avery Bradly could be or known whether Steamer could play or not.

Mike

I think the assumption that Doc never would have played Bradley is pretty ridiculous.

we'll never know now will we?

It true we'll never "know", it's also true that you can't point to any cases of Doc not playing players that were as good as Bradley. In fact I doubt you can come up with examples of players on Steimsma's level not getting chances under Doc.

In 06/07, Big Al's break out year, Jefferson was coming off the bench behind Paul Pierce and Theo Ratliff who were starting PF/C. He was doing well off the bench, but didn't start until Ratliff got injured. If I remember correctly the starting lineup for the first few games was Telfair, T.Allen, Szczerbiack, Pierce, Ratliff.

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2012, 06:07:47 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
it's also true that you can't point to any cases of Doc not playing players that were as good as Bradley.

What other example do you need besides Bradley?  At the start of last season, he was still playing the sort of very, very limited minutes he did as a rookie and he still looked like crap.  Bradley looked closer to a guy who'd be out of the league soon than he did the starter on a playoff team.

It wasn't until injured FORCED Doc to play Bradley well over 20 minutes a game, allowing Avery to just think about playing, that he transformed.  And if you go back and check, Doc's immediate response to guys getting healthy was to shrink Bradley's minutes back down to nearly nothing.

Mike

So your claim is basically that Bradley didn't get a ton of minutes when he played like crap. Remember, even when he was starting for Rondo he really did very little on the offensive end.

« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2012, 06:13:52 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Doc didn't really have a ton of options with the team we had in the playoffs last year.

And if Doc had had options, we might still not know how good Avery Bradly could be or known whether Steamer could play or not.

Mike

I think the assumption that Doc never would have played Bradley is pretty ridiculous.

we'll never know now will we?

It true we'll never "know", it's also true that you can't point to any cases of Doc not playing players that were as good as Bradley. In fact I doubt you can come up with examples of players on Steimsma's level not getting chances under Doc.

In 06/07, Big Al's break out year, Jefferson was coming off the bench behind Paul Pierce and Theo Ratliff who were starting PF/C. He was doing well off the bench, but didn't start until Ratliff got injured. If I remember correctly the starting lineup for the first few games was Telfair, T.Allen, Szczerbiack, Pierce, Ratliff.

Ratliff only played 2 games that year, it wasn't the problem. Also remember that Al was having ankle injuries over the summer that extended into the season. Also Al was starting to rack up big minutes the year before until he went down with an injury.

« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2012, 06:16:02 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Mike

Bradley was forced into the lineup earlier in the year and didn't look anywhere near as good on offense as he did in the spring.

« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2012, 06:17:15 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

so he is a terrible in game coach? wow. your postings are confirming my assumptions from the evidence presented this year so far. sad indeed.

Yes.... he pretty much stinked in that

p.s.
IF the good thing youre as a coach is mentoring and motivation and youre not mentoring and your players are not motivated.... then......

Nice to be back!

« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2012, 06:51:05 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Doc is only as good as his players most of the time.   He is good at the come from behind rallies but X and Os wise not so much.  He is a good leader but not a tactician on the court.

« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2012, 07:01:11 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Mike

Bradley was forced into the lineup earlier in the year and didn't look anywhere near as good on offense as he did in the spring.

I thought the main reason for Bradley's improved play in that second spell vs earlier in the year was because Bradley (SG) got to play alongside Rondo (PG) in that second spell.

A lot of those efficient scoring opportunities - the transition hoops, the off the ball cuts, the corner three pointers. They came when Rondo was alongside Bradley. That was what generated his improved offensive play.

Playing off the ball and off an elite playmaker like Rondo put Bradley in position to make / take advantage of those opportunities.

I think defensively Bradley was very strong early in the season (as a PG) and I think offensively his performance level was very similar to how he performed late on in the season when he was on the court without Rondo. When Rondo rested. Less efficient. More dribbling. Asked to make more decisions on the ball. More long twos at the top of the key instead of cuts to the rim and corner threes.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 07:27:13 PM by Who »

« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2012, 07:02:04 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
Rondo saying that its not on the coach is good
Doc saying theyre not a good team right now is right but wrong

>:(

I am even mad at Doc right now

And I agree with Tomy its difficult to find the rotations but hes paid to do that and supposed to be good at that
and blames the "team" not mention once that HE have to find a right rotation
To find a NEW WAY of winning (tommy)

Nice to be back!

« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2012, 07:23:37 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
Rondo saying that its not on the coach is good
Doc saying theyre not a good team right now is right but wrong

>:(

I am even mad at Doc right now

And I agree with Tomy its difficult to find the rotations but hes paid to do that and supposed to be good at that
and blames the "team" not mention once that HE have to find a right rotation
To find a NEW WAY of winning (tommy)

HOW ABOUT GLENN IS NOT A GOOD COACH RIGHT NOW? AND HIS OFFENSIVE STRATEGIES ARE GARBAGE.
LET'S GO CELTICS!