Author Topic: Time for Doc to go.  (Read 33026 times)

Re: Time for Doc to go.
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 09:31:47 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
I like Doc and think theres 0 chance he gets fired...but I wouldnt weep if he did...most overrated coach in the game. and one of the more overrated coaches of all time

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 09:36:39 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
...its not the players fault.

I don't understand this sentiment.

Well it was because of the players  when we win too, we've never won because of coaching....Doc is just a  cheerleader. he gets all this credit for great plays after timeouts like hes a mastermind....uhh a high school dropout could draw up these plays.

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 09:38:21 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
How many times over the past half decade or so have I seen a "Time for Doc to go" thread?  A lot.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 09:39:59 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
How many times over the past half decade or so have I seen a "Time for Doc to go" thread?  A lot.

How many times over the past half decade have we won a game because of coaching?

When Thibodeau was here?

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 09:58:57 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Doc sort of reminds me of KC Jones a bit:  Figurehead.

The team will be as good as it's best few players.  Rondo has 'it' and so does KG for sure.  Pierce, for all his talent and honorary 'captain' status, has never been the leader of this team for real.  Early on, it was Antione, then during the real crap years, it was nobody, then KG showed up and defered to Pierce publicly, but KG is the real leader.

Rondo/KG are the heart of the team and it's leaders.  Doc clearly is not.

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 10:01:03 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
As long as this is a vet team, Doc as the coach works. 

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 10:14:15 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
It's absolutely the players' fault. The a virtually identical core of the team who played so great last season is now unable to defend the proverbial chair.

And the players all got visited by the "Can't Play Defense Fairy" in the offseason?  Let's review.

1.  KG.  Been here for years.
2.  Pierce.  Been here for years.
3.  Rondo.  Been here for years.
4.  Bass.  With the team all last season.
5.  Terry and Lee.  Signed in the offseason.  Had full training camp.  Veteran players who've never been known as a truly atrocious defender before.
6.  Green and Wilcox.  With the team for the start of last season.  Around the team during the year.  Had full training camp.  Again, never known before for being truly atrocious defenders.
7.  Sully.  Rookie.
8.  Barbosa.  Late signing.

There are only two players who should be having any trouble picking up the defense, unless they've been visited by the previously mentioned fairy.

Did the players force Doc to start Sully over Bass, thereby throwing away whatever chemistry they team had at the end of last season?

Are the players forcing Doc to keep calling those baseline screen plays which had become increasingly ineffective with Ray and which neither Terry nor Lee have ever really run before?

Are the other players forcing Doc to call play after play to get Pierce shots when he's shooting the ball worse than he has his entire career?

Are the players responsible for the state of this team?  Sure.  What the heck is Doc getting paid millions of dollars for, though, if he apparently has little to no influence on how the team performs?  Why not just save money and let Ed Lacerte coach?

Mike

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 10:36:27 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
The Celtics need one or two more elite players.  Right now they only have one.  That's the problem, imo.  You don't win championships without at least a couple of elite players.  Pierce and KG are no longer elite top tier players.  No knocking them, as it is understandable because of their ages.  The last team that won without top tier elite players is Detroit, and that was because the Lakers, with too many stars and egos, imploded that year.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 10:53:06 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
The Celtics need one or two more elite players.

Maybe they need that to win a title.  You don't need that to be competitive and what's most bothersome about this team is how non-competitive they look at times.

Mike

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 11:40:11 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

Well it was because of the players  when we win too, we've never won because of coaching....Doc is just a  cheerleader. he gets all this credit for great plays after timeouts like hes a mastermind....uhh a high school dropout could draw up these plays.

I dont think you really understanding what doc has done throughout his coaching career... remember that magical run to quarter 4 game 7 of the ECF last season? Pure coaching. Which is funny because at that moment nobody was calling for doc's head and everyone was praising him.

Threads like this are funny because he really is one of the best in the game and with the exception of teams like the Spurs, Sixers, Nuggets, and maybe OKC I guarantee any of the other teams in this league would jump at the chance to sign doc.

It's so easy to blame the coach, and I agree there are certain things he could do better this season (some small ball lineups have been flawed, etc). But he's not the main problem... the roster is. It's flawed to the max. We sat around pre-season thinking we had this great, deep team. Well its deep with a bunch of random pieces with no cohesion. Oh, and our biggest problem? KG is our ONLY big man with an ounce of talent. Wilcox is a good back up, but its not enough.

If you were coaching this team I guarantee you would have a ton of problems trying to create effective lineups. This roster needs a shakeup... ASAP. Thats going to happen before doc goes anywhere

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 11:48:26 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

I dont think you really understanding what doc has done throughout his coaching career... remember that magical run to quarter 4 game 7 of the ECF last season? Pure coaching. Which is funny because at that moment nobody was calling for doc's head and everyone was praising him.

Threads like this are funny because he really is one of the best in the game and with the exception of teams like the Spurs, Sixers, Nuggets, and maybe OKC I guarantee any of the other teams in this league would jump at the chance to sign doc.

It's so easy to blame the coach, and I agree there are certain things he could do better this season (some small ball lineups have been flawed, etc). But he's not the main problem... the roster is. It's flawed to the max. We sat around pre-season thinking we had this great, deep team. Well its deep with a bunch of random pieces with no cohesion. Oh, and our biggest problem? KG is our ONLY big man with an ounce of talent. Wilcox is a good back up, but its not enough.

If you were coaching this team I guarantee you would have a ton of problems trying to create effective lineups. This roster needs a shakeup... ASAP. Thats going to happen before doc goes anywhere

disagreed. doc was out coached in the Philadelphia series by Doug Collins and it was a reason among others that the series went 7 and came down to Rondo jumpers bailing US out... if the Miami series was about coaching doc didn't have his guys prepared in a closeout game at home and had his dumbest defensive game plan in the game 7 ....it's all about the players, as I said before we haven't won a game because of coaching since Tom Thibodeau walked out that door.

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2012, 12:08:25 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
As long as this is a vet team, Doc as the coach works.

i gave doc a pass last year due to almost making his 3rd finals in 5 years. however i now see where the criticisms of him come from and they are LEGIT!

he does not use the talent he has like he should. why do we rely on jumpers? should doc be telling them to get high% shots on dribble drives, dishes , cutters and post ups? It is almost suicidal how he does not correct these things. I'm not impressed at all with his offensive style or coaching and his defense sucks this year also. no more passes from me.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 12:10:50 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Oh and I am not impressed with our assistant coaches either. What do they do? They all sit there like useless zombies and give everybody a fist bump. grow some cojones and get in somebody's grill for GOD's sake and shake this team up.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2012, 12:13:57 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Oh and I am not impressed with our assistant coaches either. What do they do? They all sit there like useless zombies and give everybody a fist bump. grow some cojones and get in somebody's grill for GOD's sake and shake this team up.

Eh, assistant coaches job is on the practice court.  I have no problem with them sitting back during games.

With that said, they absolutely have some major culpability here for the lack of preparation of the players.  The head coach takes responsibility as any manager, however, generally the actual teaching is done by the assistants, and something appears to be lacking there.

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 12:19:40 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
every1 must take ownership for the short comings for the team, but saying doc has to go is crazy.  he is an outstanding coach, specifically with veterans.  virtually all teams would want him to coach their team if we dont want him, which tells you something.