Author Topic: Time for Doc to go.  (Read 32911 times)

Time for Doc to go.
« on: December 19, 2012, 02:45:28 AM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
This team isnt getting it done and its not the players fault. We have many talented players. Those players need to be put in a posistion to succeed.

This is from Simmons 07 for espn some excerpts.

"Boston blows a 22-point lead at MSG and the Knicks rally by running the same high screen with Nate Robinson and Channing Frye 27 consecutive times without the Celtics making a single defensive adjustment, followed by Doc blaming the players after the game for "having to get better defensively"

"If we're gunning for Oden next spring, either we could be blatant about this quest, fire Doc and hire Joe the Alcoholic Counter Guy from the Charlestown Store 24 … or we could keep Doc and guarantee six more months of close losses, defensive breakdowns, stagnant offense, convoluted excuses and an NBA coach substituting players every 90 seconds like he's coaching a hockey team."

"we surged ahead in the final three minutes before the "everyone stand around and watch Paul" offense killed the momentum. Eventually, Orlando regained the lead and clinched the game on one of those "team grabs an offensive rebound off a missed free throw, then gets the backbreaking layup off a bad defensive switch" sequences that have defined the Doc era."

The article is here. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/061115

The new Doc is the same as the old Doc. stagnant offense, questionable rotations, excuses. Oh wait its mental fatigue. We need a new voice in the locker room.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 02:54:48 AM by FatjohnReturns »

Re: Time for Doc to go.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 02:55:43 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Goofy. The primary aim of the new NBA coach is to coddle.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 03:14:00 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I never was a big doc fan. Always thought he was a decent coach at best.

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 03:22:54 AM »

Offline dunisho

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
bring in Phil Jackson!!

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 04:01:16 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
nah.  Doc's a great coach.  This team's lack of success doesn't have to do with coaching.  It's an issue of talent.  Even with Ray Allen we struggled for most of last year. Our best players are old.  Our days of being a contender are probably over unless we luck into a young superstar or two. 

We basically stopped being legitimate contenders on April 3rd 2011... any mild success we've had since then over the past 20 months has just been an aftershock of what we once were.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 04:08:00 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 04:10:30 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
lol Doc aint goin nowhere dis year if he does bout half da team is leavin wit him nd we turn into da Bobcats. I was a celtics fan when we went on dat 18 game losin streak in 06 iont wanna see filth like dat again so yall blow it up people gotta chill

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 04:13:13 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Even if it is "all Doc's fault," and I don't think the answer is that simple -- KG and Terry basically signed here this summer to play for Doc.  Pierce signed a couple years ago in part for the same reason.

Firing Doc at this point, unless the players are totally fed up with him, would only make things a lot worse, I think.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 05:44:41 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
This is an immensely stupid thread and rather than write a 15-page post about it I'm just going to say that I'm very happy with Doc and wouldn't take any coach over him at this point. Give the team time to learn our defensive rotations and this team will be better than last year and a contender in the Spring.

While other teams have already learned their rotations?  Tired of mediocre efforts, coaching, playing, etc.  Nets, knicks, sixers, have all put it together.  Lakers and c's haven't cause coaches have no idea how to manage the teams

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 06:17:56 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
This is an immensely stupid thread and rather than write a 15-page post about it I'm just going to say that I'm very happy with Doc and wouldn't take any coach over him at this point. Give the team time to learn our defensive rotations and this team will be better than last year and a contender in the Spring.

The Nets, Knicks, and Sixers have the same teams they had last year.  The Nets added Joe Johnson who, up to this point, has been pretty bad.  Sixers are the same team minus Iggy.  Same with the Knicks.

The Celtics have added Terry, Lee, Green, Sullinger, and to a smaller extent Wilcox to their rotation.  Our starting 5 is mostly the same excluding Ray Allen, but he wasn't even our full-time starter last year when AB was here.

While other teams have already learned their rotations?  Tired of mediocre efforts, coaching, playing, etc.  Nets, knicks, sixers, have all put it together.  Lakers and c's haven't cause coaches have no idea how to manage the teams

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 07:40:57 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I somewhat agree with the premise of this thread. Though I don't think you can solely pin the team's problems on Doc, I will say that Doc isn't exactly helping the problem

I think he's got an archaic, ineffective method of coaching and/or I just don't think he's getting through to his players

I also don't think he's motivating them properly.

Finally, I will also say that I didn't really like when Doc threw Rondo and his team under the bus by not defending them and calling them soft following the Humphries incident

Can't help but wonder if that also caused at least a subtle rift between the players and Doc.

Doc gets so much praise for coaching the '08 championship team. What people don't realize is that team had so much talent, even I could've coached the team and they still would've won the title.

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 07:47:36 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Our days of being a contender are probably over unless we luck into a young superstar or two. 

I'm old.  And have too hard of time forgetting when the NBA was about who could build the best team.  The Celtics were very powerful in the 50-60-70's ,  if they needed a player , they BOUGHT or traded for who they needed.

Now with the cap controled so low,  teams pretty much have to tank and hope there are good players in the draft.

In the old days , the Celtics would have bought a few players and returned to the top . Now it takes alot of luck and 10 years  :-X

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 08:39:56 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I love Doc, but I do think he's done a less than stellar job this season. The juggling of Terry and Lee have been puzzling. Terry is better suited to bring offense off the bench and to use him as a starter for so many games probably stunted the continuity with the second unit.

I also think we need a new approach offensively. Having the ball in Rondo's hands for the majority of the shot clock, where it's basically one pass (from Rondo), followed by a perimeter jumper has grown stale. This makes it way too easy for the defense. I've always felt we were much better as a team when we were moving the ball collectively. This made us much harder to defend, had everyone involved offensively, and created better looks.

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 08:54:40 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
...its not the players fault.

I don't understand this sentiment.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 09:05:49 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Me either.  While Doc is absolutely culpable for not getting his team playing to the best of their abilities, the players are absolutely responsible as well.

Personally, I think the players are much more responsible, because I am not sure what else Doc, or any other coach could do right now to get them on the same page...but that is still Doc's job description, so he needs to share the blame. 

Either way, it is still way too early to panic to the extent of firing Doc.  We have seen this team pull together too many times to not give them the chance to make that happen...and I don't think another coach is going to come in and turn it around.

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 09:29:14 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Me neither. It's absolutely the players' fault. The a virtually identical core of the team who played so great last season is now unable to defend the proverbial chair.

Are we exposed by the fact that the rest of the league is no longer out of shape due to a lengthy lockout?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."