Author Topic: How the celtics players fit in  (Read 1909 times)

How the celtics players fit in
« on: December 18, 2012, 11:36:07 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
The celtics are stacked with talent.  If they weren't and were playing .500 ball I think the fans would be understanding, but this record despite the wealth of talent is what's frustrating celtics nation.

The biggest problem is that some of the talent fits with the team and some doesn't.  I'll go player by player and describe how I feel the player fits with the team.

Rondo, Pierce, and KG ARE the team.
Bass - not afraid to take the open shot which fits in with all of the passers on the team, hits at a good %, plays acceptable defense, and plays with toughness. Has certainly found his niche within the team.
Bradley - proved to fit in and have found his niche last season.
Green - has games when he shines, but the majority of the season has looked pretty lost on both ends of the floor.  Has not been able to fit in within the team as even most of his shining moments are him doing things by himself.  His natural position is the 3 and there just aren't enough minutes there for him.
Terry - hasn't found his role at all.  He is a great scorer, but a volume scorer and isn't getting those opportunities here.  Provides nothing on the defensive end.
Lee - has played good defense, has shown some of that athleticism, but hasn't been hitting the 3 ball as advertised.
Sullinger - doing some things right, still learning a lot of other aspects of the game.  Doesn't particularly fit in nor not fit in because he still is just learning the game.
Barbosa - has clearly shown an ability to provide an offensive spark when Rondo is out of the game against another team's bench.  Can create some turnovers on defense.
Wilcox - not a great defender, but gives us some high percentage offense in the paint when on the floor with Rondo and has clearly established great chemistry there.
Collins - not shown anything really.

Pierce said it well after the game tonight:  "We're supposed to be a defensive team, but we're giving up 100 points per night."  Donny and Tommy chimed in saying how we need a big man.

I think we need to get a big man, simplify our rotations, and put players in a position to fit in and succeed in our system.

I think the best thing we can do with our roster is a minute distribution of:

Rondo(38)/Barbosa(10)
Bradley(28)/Lee(20)
Pierce(30)/SF(18)
KG(20)/Bass(28)
Center(30)/KG(10)/Wilcox( 8 )

Then as the postseason rolls around:

Rondo(40)/Barbosa( 8 )
Bradley(28)/Lee(20)
Pierce(36)/SF(12)
KG(22)/Bass(26)
Center(30)/KG(14)/Wilcox(4)

We will be able to find offense.  But this kind of roster brings us that defense we've been missing and desperately need.  That is a rotation that I can be confident about going into the postseason.

What kind of defensive center + bench SF pairings can you guys bring back for me for Jeff Green + Jason Terry + Sullinger + draft picks?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Re: How the celtics players fit in
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 11:41:26 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
3 team idea I had:

Boston trades:  Jason Terry, Jeff Green, Sullinger
Boston gets:  Alonzo Gee, Varejao

Cleveland trades:  Alonzo Gee, Varejao
Cleveland gets:  Eric Maynor, Kevin Martin, PJIII, Sullinger

OKC trades:  Eric Maynor, Kevin Martin, PJIII
OKC gets:  Jason Terry, Jeff Green

Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 11:46:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
PG: Rondo (34mpg), Terry (14mpg)
OG: Bradley (30mpg), Terry (14mpg)
SF: Pierce (32mpg), J.Green (18mpg)
PF: Bass (22mpg), Kenyon Martin (18mpg)
C:  Garnett (29mpg), C.Andersen (19mpg)

A few extra minutes in the backcourt to be given out depending on situation. Extra minutes for Terry or Bradley. Barbosa for added offense. Lee for defense. Pierce + Green together on the wing to create matchup problems.

I am unsure how I'd distribute the PF minutes. I would like to stick Kenyon in there as a part-time starter playing 18-22 minutes a night with Bass behind him but I would want to see how each lineup works with Avery Bradley in it before committing to it. I like Bass' jump-shooting with Avery's cutting.

Sully would be the fifth big in the rotation and called upon for added rebounding and occasional scoring where needed. Jeff Green would also be a candidate for some PF minutes. He would be first choice PF against small ball lineups like Miami or New York.

I would also dump Wilcox and K.Joseph and sign Donte Greene with the other empty roster spot.

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 11:50:51 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
3 team idea I had:

OKC hangs up the phone.

1.) They traded Jeff, they know his flaws as well as anyone else. Why would they want him back?

2.) They're playing outstanding basketball right now and are looking like they're going to be a big player in the West. Why fix what's clearly not broken?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 12:00:39 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
PG: Rondo (34mpg), Terry (14mpg)
OG: Bradley (30mpg), Terry (14mpg)
SF: Pierce (32mpg), J.Green (18mpg)
PF: Bass (22mpg), Kenyon Martin (18mpg)
C:  Garnett (29mpg), C.Andersen (19mpg)

A few extra minutes in the backcourt to be given out depending on situation. Extra minutes for Terry or Bradley. Barbosa for added offense. Lee for defense. Pierce + Green together on the wing to create matchup problems.

I am unsure how I'd distribute the PF minutes. I would like to stick Kenyon in there as a part-time starter playing 18-22 minutes a night with Bass behind him but I would want to see how each lineup works with Avery Bradley in it before committing to it. I like Bass' jump-shooting with Avery's cutting.

Sully would be the fifth big in the rotation and called upon for added rebounding and occasional scoring where needed. Jeff Green would also be a candidate for some PF minutes. He would be first choice PF against small ball lineups like Miami or New York.

I would also dump Wilcox and K.Joseph and sign Donte Greene with the other empty roster spot.

This was very similar to what I wanted to see before the season began.  I guess I'd be down to try it to see if Terry can get going, but I don't know how much longer we can wait.  Being on the floor with Rondo just doesn't allow Terry to play to his strengths.

Hard for me to get on board with improving our team by giving 37mpg to 2 players that haven't played a game this season.

p.s. you only have 40 minutes given out at PF.

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 12:02:57 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
3 team idea I had:

OKC hangs up the phone.

1.) They traded Jeff, they know his flaws as well as anyone else. Why would they want him back?

2.) They're playing outstanding basketball right now and are looking like they're going to be a big player in the West. Why fix what's clearly not broken?

Very good point with #2.

On point #1, every player has flaws.  I think we see his flaws more in Boston than they did in OKC.  He played much better ball in OKC than he is here, so I think that might be reason why they could at least find him more valuable than we do.