Author Topic: I am really worried now.  (Read 5914 times)

I am really worried now.
« on: December 18, 2012, 10:41:36 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
We are twenty four games in and I am not seeing a thing that gives me hope that there will be anything but a first round playoff exit. Being a mediocre team in the NBA is the worst place to be. Just ask the Houston Rockets.

For starters, Jason Terry has been awful. Has not fit in at all here. Frankly another questionable signing by Danny Ainge. For a guy who drafts so well, his free agent signings leave much to be desired.

Can Jeff Green be made to wear a ski mask when he plays? Cause he is robbing the Celtics of nine million dollars this year. His line tonight: one for six for three points, one rebound and two steals. Can someone please tell me how I can suck at my job so much yet get paid so well? My Christmas will be perfect.

Look everybody, another small forward made Paul Pierce look like he played defense in a rocking chair. Deng murdered him. Pierce looks like he is 45, not 35. Not his fault. Sometimes athletes just drop off a cliff age wise.

I am a passionate fan and will never stop rooting for my Celtics but I must admit my outlook as just crashed from training camp. If you told me that this team would be 12 and 12 a week before Christmas and only Bradley would be hurt I would have laughed you out of the room. Now they are 12 and 12 and I am not laughing one bit.

Re: I am really worried now.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 10:44:49 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Jeff Green has actually been playing pretty well up until this game.

you cant expect any NBA player to make a huge impact playing 10 minutes

Jason terry has been underutilized. he isnt Ray allen running of screens. he is a player who excels with the ball in his hands running pick & rolls...but the C's are intent on only Rondo running the pick & roll.

I'm still interested to see what the team looks like with Bradley back before jumping ship...I know a million people are going to jump on me and say "hes not a difference maker!" but based on how he helped turn the team around last year I believe he possibly can be. his Defense/Effort had an extreme effect on this team and how they played.

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 10:45:43 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466
I agree 100% with your post.  I think it is time that Danny and Doc start earning their big bucks and find some new ways to utilize the talent they have, and find a way to turn that talent into what we need.  This team isn't gelling together at all right now.

A lot of talent on the team right now, but not a lot of inspiring play.  Our team leaders need to lead and right the ship.

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 10:55:31 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
All is not lost.  KG sits we lose.  He needs Help from a younger center who can play as many minutes as doc can throw at him, just like spliter does for TIm Duncan.

We need a SPLITTER or ASIK , quality Center to help and everybody else will pick up. 

Until Danny trades who ever , for a CENTER, this team will stay average at best.
We have lots of GOOD players , but no energy young stars , except Rondo , AB and Sully and Joseph.

Can't play ball without some really good big men. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 11:13:44 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 11:08:40 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
T/S i wouldnt throw a lot of blame on Pierce he wasnt too bad out there tonight Green nd Terry tho smh.........

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 11:36:59 PM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
Pierce played really well tonight.  He didn't take over,  but he was efficient and didn't dominate the flow of the offense. The team has no big man depth after kg

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 11:41:43 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I'm worried. All reports were that kg and pierce came in in good shape. The only thing we can hope for is AB at the moment. I think he will really help, but the other role players have to play up to expectations.

The schedule is gonna get tougher.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 11:43:26 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'm not.

I'm more worried if we are playing like this in Apr or May of next yr. However, I expect the team to right itself sooner than later.

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 11:49:08 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I don't think Doc has a clue what to do.

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 01:21:55 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I'm not.

I'm more worried if we are playing like this in Apr or May of next yr. However, I expect the team to right itself sooner than later.
Exactly.

I'm honestly surprised by people who expected this team to be playing as a cohesive unit this early in the season.

This is an almost entirely new team, with different roles and new priorities.

We also haven't even got one of our key players back yet, who will add a very important dimension to this lineup, and solidify others' roles.

Before this season even started I had it in my mind to not expect too much until after the break, but that we should be tightened up appropriately by April.

There's just a bit too much over-expectation going on here, and folks need to take a deep breath and a step back from the edge.

There's a long way to go, and a lot to be done ... let's give the competent coach who brought us the O'Brien the benefit of the doubt.

Believe it or not we're getting there, and even tonight's game had some positive moments.

We've been here many times before, folks, and the mortar is hardening.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 01:27:34 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm not.

Exactly.

I'm honestly surprised by people who expected this team to be playing as a cohesive unit this early in the season.

We also haven't even got one of our key players back yet, who will add a very important dimension to this lineup, and solidify others' roles.

Before this season even started I had it in my mind to not expect too much until after the break, but that we should be tightened up appropriately by April.

There's just a bit too much over-expectation going on here, and folks need to take a deep breath and a step back from the edge.

There's a long way to go, and a lot to be done ... let's give the competent coach who brought us the O'Brien the benefit of the doubt.

Believe it or not we're getting there, and even tonight's game had some positive moments.

I appreciate your faith.

But the "they have a bunch of new guys, it's going to take time!" argument is getting tired.

Plenty of other teams made very serious changes to their rosters, including changing out key players.

The Celtics have been playing with 4 of the same players in the starting lineup as last year, and the same three core guys -- Rondo, Pierce, Garnett.  Jeff Green is not an entirely new piece, nor is Chris Wilcox.  Bass should know his role. 

Slotting Courtney Lee into Avery Bradley's role until Bradley returned and having the starting 5 operate in pretty much exactly the same way should not have been that difficult. 

Jason Terry is way too talented for it to be so difficult to find a role for him.  Guys like Jamal Crawford, Carl Landry, OJ Mayo -- all quick-offense types, like Terry, who settled into their new surroundings pretty much immediately.

So talking about this team like it's a bunch of new guys who have never seen each other before is overstating things. 

Other teams with new guys playing major roles have already figured out how to put together 30-40 minutes of solid basketball more nights than not.  It's not taking them the majority of the season to do it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 01:48:11 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I'm not.

Exactly.

I appreciate your faith.

But the "they have a bunch of new guys, it's going to take time!" argument is getting tired.

Plenty of other teams made very serious changes to their rosters, including changing out key players.

The Celtics have been playing with 4 of the same players in the starting lineup as last year, and the same three core guys -- Rondo, Pierce, Garnett.  Jeff Green is not an entirely new piece, nor is Chris Wilcox.  Bass should know his role. 

Slotting Courtney Lee into Avery Bradley's role until Bradley returned and having the starting 5 operate in pretty much exactly the same way should not have been that difficult. 

Jason Terry is way too talented for it to be so difficult to find a role for him.  Guys like Jamal Crawford, Carl Landry, OJ Mayo -- all quick-offense types, like Terry, who settled into their new surroundings pretty much immediately.

So talking about this team like it's a bunch of new guys who have never seen each other before is overstating things. 

Other teams with new guys playing major roles have already figured out how to put together 30-40 minutes of solid basketball more nights than not.  It's not taking them the majority of the season to do it.
Actually, it's not faith, it'a just common sense.

Jeff played very little before, with a largely different lineup and rotation ... same with Chris. Bass, with the new players, has a different role, but I agree that he's been a bit disapponting as yet.

The loss of Bradley, and in turn his re-insertion into the lineup, did and will make a huge impact on solidifying the rotation and expected roles of the new guys.

There are other teams in the NBA who have added new players, certainly, but few that have changed things up as drastically and are playing with fluidity and chemistry.

"It takes time" only gets old if you have some unrealistic expectations, cuz this game ain't easy, and it will take more time, especially with Avery's return.

Twenty-four games is very little time in NBA terms, and I think things will look much differently at the halfway point.

I guess we'll find out one way or another, but my glass is still half-full at this point.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 01:48:20 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Pierce actually looked really lively tonight, maybe as lively as he's look all season.  That lefthanded layup when he caught a bounce pass in the paint and exploded over Noah was like his younger days.  The Celtics may even have scored more had he taken more than 3 shots in the second half. 

I don't get this team.  When Pierce is struggling, sometimes he gets all the shots he wants.  When he's really fresh and lively like he was tonight, he's hardly involved.  It's not like this team was rolling or has an incredible wealth of options.  I wish this team could be like others and sometimes just ride the freaking hot hand.  They used to do that a lot. 

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 02:04:32 AM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
What really concerns me is the fact we are going to end up being a 5,6,7 or 8 seed. The dreaded middle of the road basketball team. A team stuck in the middle. Never bad enough to get a top 3 pick in the draft to turn things around, not good enough to win.

Does anyone here really think that we can make such great strides and improvements that this team can win a title this year? I know, I know, defenders of this team will say: "Look at last year, they were awful and then nearly made it." That is correct. You know what is also correct: They were awful then nearly made it. Nearly. Miami got the ring, not Boston. End of story.

There is a part of me that says we would have been better off finishing with a worse record and getting a higher draft pick in a very deep draft. Heaven knows Fab Melo looks light years away from helping. Think about it. We are paper mache thin up front and this kid is still in the D league. Averaging 7 points and 5 boards in 22 minutes. Wowzah. Great pick there.

I will never give up. I will always cheer and hope for the best. Sometimes however you have to think big picture. The teams ahead of us, particularly the Knicks and Heat play a style that we are awful at defending: Up and down with lots of shooters. Frankly we are just not all that great defensively period these days. I wonder if letting Green and Sullinger start is not a bad idea. Trading Bass for some help. I know the knee jerk reaction is to look for inside help. I tend to think we need go to scoring more. This whole Tyreke Evans kerfuffle intrigues me. I would like to see what he would be like in a better culture and alongside Rondo.

Look, I may be wrong, but I doubt it. I hope we get better. I just do not see the seeds of it so far at all. Sorry.

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 02:57:16 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Frankly we are just not all that great defensively period these days. I wonder if letting Green and Sullinger start is not a bad idea.

I don't follow this.  If the goal is to improve defensively, moving Green and Sullinger into the starting lineup if it comes at the expense of Pierce and Bass will make it worse.  If the goal is to improve offensively, the same deal.  Green's been better than his awful start, although he's tailed off lately but not to the point where playing him more than Pierce will make this team better.  Playing a guy who scores less efficiently, creates less for his teammates and plays worse defense is not a recipe for team improvement.