Author Topic: I am really worried now.  (Read 5917 times)

Re: I am really worried now.
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 03:17:58 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm not worried at all.  This season is going exactly like I expected it.  We are playing .500 ball.  Shouldn't be a surprise.

Somehow after beating the mighty Horford-less Hawks and sneaking by the 8th seed 76ers in 7 games some fans seemed to forget that we struggled for most of last season.  We were below .500 until KG flipped a switch.  We lost our 4th best player and replaced him with a handful of mediocre free agents.  I'm not on board with the idea that quantity equals quality in this league.  It's great that we have "depth", but I'd gladly take one star player playing 40 minutes over 4 average players splitting minutes on the same position.

All of this is expected.  I think it was slightly naive to assume this team was World Beaters.  We still have some issues with this roster.  I refuse to panic until after the trade deadline.  Let's see what we do when Bradley comes back... clearly we aren't going to have 4 shooting guards splitting 50 minutes in the playoffs.  No sense in that.  I fully expect a trade.   

That said, I fully expected a trade last deadline as well... and Ainge apparently tried hard to trade both Ray and Pierce and both deals fell apart.  That didn't turn out totally dreadful... we had an improbable playoff run and made the ECF.  So you can't panic either way.

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 04:20:19 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm not worried at all.  This season is going exactly like I expected it.  We are playing .500 ball.  Shouldn't be a surprise.

Somehow after beating the mighty Horford-less Hawks and sneaking by the 8th seed 76ers in 7 games some fans seemed to forget that we struggled for most of last season.  We were below .500 until KG flipped a switch.  We lost our 4th best player and replaced him with a handful of mediocre free agents.  I'm not on board with the idea that quantity equals quality in this league.  It's great that we have "depth", but I'd gladly take one star player playing 40 minutes over 4 average players splitting minutes on the same position.

All of this is expected.  I think it was slightly naive to assume this team was World Beaters.  We still have some issues with this roster.  I refuse to panic until after the trade deadline.  Let's see what we do when Bradley comes back... clearly we aren't going to have 4 shooting guards splitting 50 minutes in the playoffs.  No sense in that.  I fully expect a trade.   

That said, I fully expected a trade last deadline as well... and Ainge apparently tried hard to trade both Ray and Pierce and both deals fell apart.  That didn't turn out totally dreadful... we had an improbable playoff run and made the ECF.  So you can't panic either way.

Even ignoring the playoffs, where the Celtics played pretty darn good basketball even if their opponents were banged up, the starting 5 from the second half of last season was pretty great.

With Rondo - Bradley - Pierce - Bass - Garnett starting last season, the Celtics were very efficient on both ends, and played close to .700 ball.

We started the season with basically the same starting five, only with Courtney Lee in Bradley's role (which shouldn't have been a stretch).  It's ridiculous to suggest that expecting the team to build on the success they had in the second half of last year was "naive."

Though I will admit, with the way they've been playing, I'm starting to wonder if the improvement in the second half of last year was just because other teams were packing it in for the playoffs or something . . . still, I think there was ample evidence that this basic group could and would succeed.  They just haven't even come close to playing like the team last year.

I guess there really was something to all the talk of intangibles and great chemistry they had last year with guys like Pietrus, Dooling, and Stiemsma.  Something that transcended the box score.  I don't know how else to explain it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 06:07:38 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
We'll be fine.
This team has a habit of playing poorly in long stretches.
They just know they can turn it on come playoff time. We just have to get the new guys acclimated to the system by then.

Avery will be a boost for our perimeter defense and his defense is infectious to the team. Wouldn't be surprised to see us go on a nice run when he's back and everyone's clicking.

I'm still worried about Green. He's just got a problem with switching it on when we need it. He'll beat up on scrubs and 2nd unit small forwards but I want to see him do more on the defensive end and attack the basket.

If we move Bass and Lee, I just hope we get equal value in return. At this stage I'm hoping we can get Gortat or Millsap without giving up both Bradley and Sully.
Keeping Bradley would be huge for our perimeter defense come playoff time.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 06:11:51 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
We are twenty four games in and I am not seeing a thing that gives me hope that there will be anything but a first round playoff exit. Being a mediocre team in the NBA is the worst place to be. Just ask the Houston Rockets.

Just wanted to quote this like the other 1000 posts similar to it last year.

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 06:32:38 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
We are twenty four games in and I am not seeing a thing that gives me hope that there will be anything but a first round playoff exit. Being a mediocre team in the NBA is the worst place to be. Just ask the Houston Rockets.

Just wanted to quote this like the other 1000 posts similar to it last year.

I was thinking the exact same thing.
It's like groundhog day.

We are 24 games into an 82 game season. We've gotten better. We have so much room ro improve further.
Look how far Green has come in 10 games. Look at Wilcox's production. Lee can only get better. Bradley is coming back. We have the pieces to make a very positive trade without losing depth.

So annoying reading the same thing every year lol.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 07:33:26 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we could be more dangerous in playoffs than regular season.  Last year we were, I hope it's just an old team waiting until it counts.

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 08:05:25 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I hoped this team was a playoff team as built this year. I'm beginning to have doubts.   

I can't help but think Danny is burning up the phone and mid night oil trying to figure this thing out.

We just can't win with KG sitting on the bench. I was very worried this would be the problem early on .

Lack of a young star center who can play big minutes night in and night out is killing us.  Its got DOc trying to play all kinds of screwed up rotations., to make up for lack of a true center , tons of small guys and no defensive CENTER to anchor the team .  Its a losing situtation.

Ab is only going to slow our spiral to the bottom , by the time he plays , the situation is going to be dire.

THis team is low energy, too small and can't stop any dribble penetration into the paint when KG sits.

It may take a TRADE just to stop the decline and then it might be too late for this year . >:(

Wow ...who thought up this small ball should be fired and dumped in the ocean.

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 08:21:38 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

For starters, Jason Terry has been awful. Has not fit in at all here. Frankly another questionable signing by Danny Ainge. For a guy who drafts so well, his free agent signings leave much to be desired.

Can Jeff Green be made to wear a ski mask when he plays? Cause he is robbing the Celtics of nine million dollars this year. His line tonight: one for six for three points, one rebound and two steals. Can someone please tell me how I can suck at my job so much yet get paid so well? My Christmas will be perfect.

Look everybody, another small forward made Paul Pierce look like he played defense in a rocking chair. Deng murdered him. Pierce looks like he is 45, not 35. Not his fault. Sometimes athletes just drop off a cliff age wise.

I am a passionate fan and will never stop rooting for my Celtics but I must admit my outlook as just crashed from training camp. If you told me that this team would be 12 and 12 a week before Christmas and only Bradley would be hurt I would have laughed you out of the room. Now they are 12 and 12 and I am not laughing one bit.

Over react much?

How is Terry not fitting in? He is shooting 45% from the field and hitting 38% from behind the three line. He is averaging 11 points a game, 5 below his career average, but he is also taking 5 less shots per game. There really isnt much difference in his play other than he isnt getting as many shots as he is used to. Defense he could use some help for sure but thats not what he was brought here to do.

Green has shown glimpses of being a good player but he is inconsistent. He is not a bench guy unfortunately and needs a lot of minutes to make himself productive. This is why I think the Perk trade was poor because Green might be a great starter on a lot of teams but as a back up playing 15 minutes a game his game is just non existent.

And Deng is a good defender. He has always defended Pierce well. But I mean did Pierce even play all that bad? I mena in 31 minutes of play he was 6 for 10 from the field and 2 of 3 from three point range with ZERO turnovers. That really isnt much to complain about.

Relax. Wait til after the all star break and asses this team, not when we've played a measily meaningless 24 games.

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 08:31:20 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 627
  • MASTER OF PANIC
highly disappointed in this team. i didn't expect 24-0 but to be .500 at this point is pathetic

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 08:52:01 AM »

Offline snowball

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
well, if Danny is going to tweak the lineup,
he better do it by January, because this team
has enough on-court chemistry problems.
Doc is as clueless as the rest of them
concerning what is the rotation.

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 08:52:59 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
i hope coach mchale can help us by trading asik for collins. ;D this team stinks just like the coach.

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2012, 09:11:15 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
We were 23-21 after 44 games last year.  CALM DOWN.

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 10:47:53 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
We were 23-21 after 44 games last year.  CALM DOWN.

The knicks sixers and nets all sucked last year too

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2012, 11:46:09 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Only 58 more games to go in the 82 game pre-season.  We'll be in the mix once the real season starts. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 12:00:58 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
not a bit more worried now then before the bulls game....sorry