Author Topic: Is anyone thoroughly disappointed with danny?  (Read 9376 times)

Re: Is anyone thoroughly disappointed with danny?
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 09:18:14 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I need to wait and see how this plays out. 

I can't be too disappointed, because I thought he did an incredible job at first, and if I am going to go against myself with hindsight, I am going to wait for REAL hindsight.  We are still relatively early in the season. 

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012, 09:18:38 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Outside of the Green contract, no. 

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 09:36:07 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'm disappointed that the players we have perform way worse than their track record indicates.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2012, 09:38:51 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
No.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2012, 09:39:21 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I have been saying for months I thought the entire off season was a disaster.  I didn't like any moves he made outside of drafting Sullinger since last season ended.  Sadly it appears I was correct.  Perhaps he can salvage some of it with some trades, but even then I'm not sure we have the pieces or the value to get players that will actually help this team or undo the vast majority of the moves made.

Horrid off season which has regulated Boston to mediocrity for at least the next 3 seasons.   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2012, 09:40:48 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I'm disappointed that the players we have perform way worse than their track record indicates.
which ones?  Bass is shooting a bit worse, but everyone else is pretty much the player they have always been. 

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2012, 09:44:04 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I have been saying for months I thought the entire off season was a disaster.  I didn't like any moves he made outside of drafting Sullinger since last season ended.  Sadly it appears I was correct.  Perhaps he can salvage some of it with some trades, but even then I'm not sure we have the pieces or the value to get players that will actually help this team or undo the vast majority of the moves made.

Horrid off season which has regulated Boston to mediocrity for at least the next 3 seasons.   

You probably posted this elsewhere, but what would your preferred off-season have looked like?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2012, 09:46:49 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
up until this game, Green has averaged around 13ppg the past few games.

IMO its kind of hard to dump on him when he only played 10minutes...its hard for ANY NBA player to make an impact in so few minutes.
With Green we can always take small samples to make him look better than he is.  We can't disregard games or groups of games.  And he played 20min, not 10.  I was impressed with his 1 rebound and tough defense that Doc was raving about.

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2012, 09:51:03 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

So far, you have a good case.  I was actually thrilled with this offseason.  We obviously needed a rugged big guy who rebounds and defends.  I wanted Reggie Evans or Birdman, but I figured Darko would play that role.

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2012, 09:58:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

You probably posted this elsewhere, but what would your preferred off-season have looked like?
Since we struck out with any big name free agents, I would have only offered 1 year contracts to our returning free agents (KG, Bass, Green) and would not have signed anyone past 1 year except for small money type deals.  I would have probably been ok with Terry or Lee, but not both (since the money in their deals isn't huge).  The team now has no cap space or wiggle room any time in the next 3 seasons and doesn't have the talent to be a true contender. 

I thought the C's would be better than they are this year, which is why I would have tried to bring everyone back on 1 year deals (plus the draft next summer is/was projected to be very weak so there was no point in tanking), with the possibility of utilizing Bradley and/or Sullinger to bring a big name in at the deadline to maybe put the team over the top (which is much easier if Jeff Green or Brandon Bass is an expiring contract).  Then even if no trades had been made Boston would have still had the flexibility next summer to be active in the free agent market, especially with Josh Smith and Dwight Howard being friends with Rondo and both being available (at least in theory).  Now Boston has no means to even pursue either in free agency (or Kevin Love the following summer) and has no real shot at trading for Josh Smith given the contracts they have on the team.  Next summer if we struck out again in free agency, then Boston could have again signed whomever they wanted to keep to 1 year deals and tried again the following summer or could have just gone into tank mode for a season or two to try and rebuild that way (since the 2014 draft appears to be much stronger).

EDIT:  Essentially Ainge has done what he said he would never do.  Hang on to players too long and surround them with role players signed to massive and long contracts all on a team that isn't a realistic contender, and now has no real means to improve. 

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2012, 10:08:08 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I think Green gets a lot of crap for his contract but I think it would be a reasonable contract for him on any other team. If he was starting and playing 30 to 35 minutes I think 9 mil a year for four years is fair. But for his role on this team it is a way over payment. Makes me wonder if Danny had financial numbers in mind for future trade bait.

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2012, 10:09:37 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
which ones?  Bass is shooting a bit worse, but everyone else is pretty much the player they have always been.

Well for starters Pierce is having one of his worst starts in his career. Without looking rondo deeply into it im sure the same could be said about Jason Terry as well. Let's not forget that Lee was also shooting 40% from 3 last year and is now below 30%.

Was this a serious comment?

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2012, 10:24:24 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Well for starters Pierce is having one of his worst starts in his career. Without looking rondo deeply into it im sure the same could be said about Jason Terry as well. Let's not forget that Lee was also shooting 40% from 3 last year and is now below 30%.

Was this a serious comment?
Terry is actually much more efficient than he was last year (though is shooting and playing less so his totals are down a bit). 

Lee's 3PT shooting is worse, but his overall FG% is better as are pretty much all of his other numbers over the prior season. 

Pierce's FG% is lower, but his 3PT and FT% are about the same as are his totals and per minutes in virtually every other category (i.e. rebounds, assists, steals, points).

Rondo has actually improved pretty much across the board both in efficiency and totals. 

Green per 36 is essentially the same across the board. 

KG per 36 is pretty much the same as last year.

So yeah, I was serious.  Apparently you just think because the team is worse it must mean the players are performing worse, which just isn't the case. 

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2012, 10:40:57 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I am not at all disappointed in Danny. He put together a great off season.

Turned

Ray Allan
Greg Steimsma
Marquis Daniels
Keyon Dooling
Ryan Hollins
JJJ
E Moore

into

Jeff Green
Jason Terry
Courtney Lee
Sullinger
Barbosa
Joseph
J Collins

out of last years group the only guy who i think would improve our current rotation is Steimsma. That is even a big stretch.

The team is under performing but Danny is not to blame. He built the deepest celtics team I have seen in my life time (29).
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2012, 10:43:11 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am not at all disappointed in Danny. He put together a great off season.

Turned

Ray Allan
Greg Steimsma
Marquis Daniels
Keyon Dooling
Ryan Hollins
JJJ
E Moore

into

Jeff Green
Jason Terry
Courtney Lee
Sullinger
Barbosa
Joseph
J Collins

out of last years group the only guy who i think would improve our current rotation is Steimsma. That is even a big stretch.

The team is under performing but Danny is not to blame. He built the deepest celtics team I have seen in my life time (29).

Ray would improve this team.  The offense is still tailored to his strengths.  He would effectively stretch the floor.

Dooling would help this team taking PG duties when Rondo is on the bench (and probably help defensively)

Pietrus could also have helped this team.