Author Topic: Is anyone thoroughly disappointed with danny?  (Read 9383 times)

Re: Is anyone thoroughly disappointed with danny?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 11:31:28 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'm more disappointed in Doc and his stupid rotations, yeah I said it.

I believe Danny did a fine job landing solid players, drafted well from where our position is. But Doc is misusing these pieces. Two off the bench, sixth man type guys who flourish in that role are starting. We had solid 7 footer has not even played more than 15 minutes, to the point that he had to leave the team.

I don't blame Danny at all. Dare I say, it's Doc and he should be put in the hot seat?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 11:41:44 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Doc is TOO soft , to be a coach.... he is all the time worried about egos...and divas ....either they play ball or bench ..trade em and get more guys who want to play defense.

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 11:42:12 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I simply cut and pasted this from the "Is anyone ready to fire Danny?" Thread:

So, let's recap the last few yrs:

Danny acquires KG and Ray Ray, even AFTER our attempt to land the number 1 or 2 pick in the 07-08 draft falls through.

We subsequently win Banner 17.

Absolutely BRILLIANT move by Danny, because neither Durant or Oden would've brought us Banner 17.

We then go 62-20, but fall to ORL in the playoffs due to KG's injury. Not Danny's fault. We retool the roster a bit, minus Posey, add Micky Moore and Marbury, but STILL have a fine season.

If KG was healthy, we'd have Banner 18 that yr, and the Lakers would still have only 15.

Next season 09-10, we have a miraculous run to the finals, Rondo establishes himself as a star, LeBron, frustrated by BOS once again, bolts. We frustrate DH again, Danny adds Nate and Sheed. Sheed proves big in the playoffs, but we still lose.

Basically, if KG was recovered AND Perk was healthy, we'd have banner 19.

10-11? Shaq proves HUGE for us while healthy. We have perhaps our best run in several yrs, going 40-11 with Shaqtus manning the middle. JO proves helpful while healthy. Thanks to a DWade takedown of Rondo, any shot we have at beating MIA is for nought.

Again - not Danny's fault.

11-12? Another awesome run...AB (Danny's pick) proves HUGE. We basically falter once again due to injuries.

So are we still rdy to can Danny? I'm not.

So..based off of my post, and the fact that - even though we are 12-12 after 24 games..have been playing a bit erratic, etc, etc...

I am STILL not disappointed with Danny or this team. If we are playing like this in late April or May, then of course we will have a quick playoff exit. But I expect this team to right itself before long.

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 11:50:52 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
woulda rather had Jamal Crawford instead of Terry mainly cuz of size Terry's defense is worse then expected nd Crawford is leadin da Clippers in scorin smh

As much as I like Jason Terry, I think that was Danny's biggest mistake. 

I just honestly think is isn't a great match for our team.  In hindsight it would have been better to go after a younger player that was a better defender.  Jet is too much of a liability on D when we are in tight games down the stretch.  His shooting ability don't make up for the bad d.

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 12:04:32 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
woulda rather had Jamal Crawford instead of Terry mainly cuz of size Terry's defense is worse then expected nd Crawford is leadin da Clippers in scorin smh

Why? he cant play off ball... With the way the offense is built we need guys who can play well and efficiently off ball.

Terry was supposed to be the man off the bench. With AB out and lee playing poorly he had to start. He's not an ideal fit with rondo right now. Too small and slow on defense. Needs the rock to get in a rhythm on offense.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 12:12:21 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122

Why? he cant play off ball... With the way the offense is built we need guys who can play well and efficiently off ball.

Terry was supposed to be the man off the bench. With AB out and lee playing poorly he had to start. He's not an ideal fit with rondo right now. Too small and slow on defense. Needs the rock to get in a rhythm on offense.
Crawford can create his own shot nd woulda took some scorin load off Pierce plus his defense is betta then Terry's

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 12:16:53 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton

As much as I like Jason Terry, I think that was Danny's biggest mistake. 

I just honestly think is isn't a great match for our team.  In hindsight it would have been better to go after a younger player that was a better defender.  Jet is too much of a liability on D when we are in tight games down the stretch.  His shooting ability don't make up for the bad d.
yea man when it was rumored we was lookin at Crawford, Terry, nd Nick Young i wanted crawford mainly cuz of size nd his shot makin ability Terry's peremiter D was way worse then expected

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 12:21:27 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
up until this game, Green has averaged around 13ppg the past few games.

IMO its kind of hard to dump on him when he only played 10minutes...its hard for ANY NBA player to make an impact in so few minutes.

I missed tonight's game, but NBA.Com has Green listed as playing twenty minutes tonight.  Did they get it wrong?  You've posted this numerous times. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 12:29:01 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I wished he hadn't resigned Wilcox and Bass.  It's impossible to have a good team when the second and third bigs possess basketball IQs as low as any in the league. The problem is compounded because Doc insists on going to them for LONG stretches against first unit bigs because KG is unfit to play longer than five minute stretches, if even that. Both routinely make terrible defensive decisions that lead to wide open shots everywhere on the court.  There was a solid reason why Bass and Wilcox were 7th or lower guys before coming to the Celtics. 

A guy I would have loved and who signed for the minimum was Kurt Thomas.  He's still played at an effective level this year.  The defense and rebounding to go along with shooting would've provided things this team miserably fails at.

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 12:34:13 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Sign Joey Dorsey.

I still think he'd combine brilliantly well with Garnett as a physical power forward who does the dirty work in the paint defensively and on the backboards for the Celtics.

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 12:35:32 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
I wished he hadn't resigned Wilcox and Bass.  It's impossible to have a good team when the second and third bigs possess basketball IQs as low as any in the league. The problem is compounded because Doc insists on going to them for LONG stretches against first unit bigs because KG is unfit to play longer than five minute stretches, if even that. Both routinely make terrible defensive decisions that lead to wide open shots everywhere on the court.  There was a solid reason why Bass and Wilcox were 7th or lower guys before coming to the Celtics. 

A guy I would have loved and who signed for the minimum was Kurt Thomas.  He's still played at an effective level this year.  The defense and rebounding to go along with shooting would've provided things this team miserably fails at.
co-sign dont kno how Bass got a 4 year deal nd Wilcox has 0 shotblockin or rebounding ability

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2012, 02:51:47 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Yes. To reiterate, Ainge is a clown. See all previous posts for my explanation.

I'd love to know what Ainge did (independently of McHale) to stage himself as a "good"... even "above average" GM in some eyes. Please share a single success (late first-round, no-brainer draft picks that had the benefit of playing behind legends do not count..)
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 03:38:16 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
not disappointed in Danny at all.  He's done his best.

First of all, we had a string of horrible luck.  I STILL would trade Perk for Jeff Green.  Perk wasn't worth the money.  Still isn't.  Shaq came back for about 5 minutes and hobbled off the court.  That was a blow.  The lockout hurt us a bit... Kristik never came back from Europe.  That was a bit of a blow.   We thought we had David West signed and that deal fell apart... that was a bit of a blow.  Jeff Green's heart condition came out of nowhere.  That was a blow. 

The smart play last deadline was to blow it up.  We were below .500 and struggling.  Danny made a wise decision and traded Ray to Memphis and Pierce to the Nets.  Both deals fell apart for one reason or another.  I've heard it said that both Ray and Pierce killed the deals.  Regardless, Ainge tried to do the smart thing and it got shot down.

We went on a bit of a surprise run after the deadline.  KG was playing vintage ball and dropping 20 and 10s nightly.  We played well towards the end of the season mainly because of vintage KG and also a little bit because of the "unknown factor" of a streaking Bradleysanity at the tail end of a lockout shortened season.  In the playoffs we really couldn't have gotten luckier.  We beat the Hawks without HOrford and then snuck by the 8th seed 76ers in 7 games.  The Bulls with or without Rose probably would have beat us.  I also think any time with a dominant big (like Orlando had Dwight been around) would have given us nightmares.   Facing Atlanta and Philly was basically a best-case-scenario path to the ECF.  We gave Miami a little headache, Bosh came back and then LeBron took over and closed us out. 

Ray obviously left us empty handed and Ainge scrambled to fill the void with whatever crap he could get his hands on... Jason Terry, Courtney Lee and Barbosa.  All solid bench guards, but none of that solves our issues from last season.  I think we got lucky in the draft with Sully falling to us.   We might have some assets to try and throw a bandaid on this roster, but with KG and Pierce aging, it's unlikely we'll ever be in position to contend for a title in the near future.  We might get lucky and make a run at it, but I wouldn't hold your breath on us being a "favorite" with this roster.  Still, if we stockpile some assets and bring in another big, we could theoretically start to look a lot like the Spurs and make as much noise as them.

Ainge has done right by this team.  I've very confident in his ability and very comfortable with the decisions he's made.  He's not going to trade anyone just for the sake of trading them, but he absolutely will do anything possible to improve this team.  Sometimes it's out of his control, though.  As last year clearly showed... Luck plays a significant factor... both good and bad. 

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2012, 09:13:07 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
for signing jeff green more than anything else, or is it just me? 

i just need to know im not alone in this   :)

What else would you have done?  You do realize that we were up against the cap, right?  The $9M we gave Green was going nowhere else.  We could not sign any Free Agents for that sum. 

Jeff Green is not the reason this team is .500 right now.

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 09:17:56 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I almost fully approved of Danny's off-season, so I'm not going to bash him now.  The areas where I disagreed with him -- Green's contract, taking Melo over PJ3, and not signing Chris Andersen -- are all relatively minor.

I think Danny put together a good roster.  Now, the players and Doc need to make it happen.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes