Author Topic: Danny Has Made His Bed  (Read 4991 times)

Re: Danny Has Made His Bed
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 01:41:26 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Doc is scared to yell at people and bench them , and start other people instead.

I'd sit LEE down on the END OF THE BENCH and put in Joseph.

I would Bench Pierce , for be old and slow and make Green earn is money , by starting and playing about 35 minutes a game to whip him into shape.

I would play Barbosa every time ROndo walks the ball up court , ROndo sits.

They would hate me , but I wouldn't care.

So your get tough program would have Lee sitting because he's not earning his keep but playing Green for even more minutes to make him earn his keep nevermind that Green's play is only slightly down from his career standard.  This is who Green is.  His shooting's a little down, like it is with many of the Celtics but all his other numbers are similar on a per minute basis.  He was never worth 9 million and playing him 35 minutes a night like he's never played that much before isn't going to miraculously make him into someone he's not.

Green looks the part but he's not a top-tier or second-tier talented player.  He's not overly quick, more mid-tempo, one speed, rarely able to cleanly and explosively beat his defender off the dribble; has no left hand; is an average and at times soft finisher around the basket; defensive IQ looks low and his motor is so-so.  I don't know what Ainge saw in him.

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 03:46:42 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Having debated with some fellow CEltic fans about how "untouchable" Sullinger is... I can confidently say that some Celtic fans would rather hang onto Sully (who they see as "basically" a late lotto pick) than bring in a fringe star like Al jefferson and Josh Smith.

So based on that logic... I guess our most valuable asset outside of Rajon Rondo... is our 2013 1st rounder.  It's closer to a legit lotto pick than Sullinger. 

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 04:12:51 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

There are only around 10 players in the league you consider trading Rondo for and none of them are on the market right now. No trade.

I disagree strongly. If you consider projects and draft picks, there are quite a lot of reasonable packages I would trade Rondo for.

If we´re not contending, we are rebuilding, and what exactly is Rondo doing here, then?
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 06:05:16 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Danny made a pretty good bed if you ask me.

I think it's Doc, he's not using the bed correctly. Starting two off the bench guys who flourish in that kind of role. Insisting on small ball. Not giving a green light for Jet to create for himself. Not playing Darko. Not giving Jeff Green some Iso when we saw that he can beat other SF's one on one.

I think Danny did a good job making the bed. But, and I love Doc, we need to make him accountable now. Most of this is his fault I believe.

this +1

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 06:21:12 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
you can package Bass/Lee together and try to bring in a big

im of the opinion that Doc is totally misusing Jeff Green...I mean you give a guy 10minutes one night and 30minutes another and expect him to produce consistently? I just dont get what the deal is with that.

Doc has been known to fidget with rotations.  Danny may have given him too many options.  Last year we were had no depth, but that may have actually helped us because Doc just kept going back to the well over and over again.

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 07:18:48 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I am very thankful for Danny without him no banner in 08.   I think this team looked ok on paper but for whatever reason it hasn't worked on the court.

I love Doc as a person, but I too think he is a so so coach.  Great with the guys but X and Os wise he is a meddler who tinkers too much for my taste.  Small ball has failed, enough of it.  People have adjusted to our style and exploit it.  This means it is time to change how we play to get them off guard.

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 08:27:53 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Doc is scared to yell at people and bench them , and start other people instead.

I would Bench Pierce , for be old and slow and make Green earn is money , by starting and playing about 35 minutes a game to whip him into shape.

Why? Lee is playing good basketball. Its not his fault Doc cant place him into a role correctly. 7 for 11 in the bulls game with 14 points in 23 minutes. Shooting 49% from the field in the month of December and 39% from three point range. Plays solid D and has turned the ball over ONCE in the last 7 games.

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 08:33:21 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

There are only around 10 players in the league you consider trading Rondo for and none of them are on the market right now. No trade.

I disagree strongly. If you consider projects and draft picks, there are quite a lot of reasonable packages I would trade Rondo for.

If we´re not contending, we are rebuilding, and what exactly is Rondo doing here, then?

If we are rebuilding Rondo is the guy to keep. You dont trade the best point guard in the league who is only 26, and hasnt hit his prime yet. You would get rid of the Garnetts and the Pierces of the world and let Rondo lead the young team.

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 09:19:31 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Why? Lee is playing good basketball. Its not his fault Doc cant place him into a role correctly. 7 for 11 in the bulls game with 14 points in 23 minutes. Shooting 49% from the field in the month of December and 39% from three point range. Plays solid D and has turned the ball over ONCE in the last 7 games.

This.

The fact that Lee is playing good defense is warranted playing time already. He's picking up his offensive game too. Problem is, he really doesn't have an offensive role. Is he a back up PG? Does he come off the screen? Does he wait in a corner and shoot? He's lost out there, and I think some of it is on coaching.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 09:20:34 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 09:24:46 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I respect that Danny committed to a plan -- "win now" -- and went all in.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2012, 09:32:02 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Me too.  And now, he has his work cut out for him to either see it through, or change course midstream.  I don't envy his job.

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 09:33:35 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
It may still work if Sullinger develops into a respectable starter next season, and Bradley is healthy. Garnett, Pierce, Terry, and Bass would be nice pieces to round up the roster in diminished roles.

Of course, that's a huge gamble, and I'm a little worried that a guard that mostly scores on defensive breakdowns from the other team, and an undersized PF who looks terribly overmatched on most nights are not the best assets to gamble on.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2012, 09:37:46 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Nice and thoughtful analysis by the OP. TP for that.
I'm pretty much in agreement. Celtics are underwhelming at this point, and don't really have any trade assets, other than Rondo.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 09:45:08 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
you can package Bass/Lee together and try to bring in a big

im of the opinion that Doc is totally misusing Jeff Green...I mean you give a guy 10minutes one night and 30minutes another and expect him to produce consistently? I just dont get what the deal is with that.

Doc has been known to fidget with rotations.  Danny may have given him too many options.  Last year we were had no depth, but that may have actually helped us because Doc just kept going back to the well over and over again.

This is exactly it:  one of Doc's biggest faults.

When we had the most success, we had a short bench, and questionable, unproven starters.  Rajon and Perk were the unproven guys, and if Doc had another choice, he probably would've went in another direction.  IF he had a lot of choices, he would have went in all sorts of directions.

Danny did an awesome job gathering talent this offseason with little to work with.  Doc spent the early season figuring out who was who and what worked.  That's what preseason and camp are for.

We need a solid, consistent, 8-9 player rotation.  We shoudl have it together by around the allstar break, and we should finish the season strong.  That's Doc's MO, and why he is generally considered to be a good coach.

Danny did too good a job.  He got the best players possible, I think, and Doc is, as usual, taking his time getting it organized.

That said, some of the parts don't fit what Doc wants to do.  He wants players to adjust to the system, which is necessary of course, but seems to focus on that rather than taking max advantage of the individual talents of the players.

Danny had a heck of an offseason, though.  GMOY worthy, IMO.