Author Topic: Boston Celtics 18th best team in the league.  (Read 1871 times)

Re: Boston Celtics 18th best team in the league.
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 03:52:26 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Chris Mullin said tonight We play small, and slow. We have poor spacing we took nine three's tonight. While the Knicks shoot 30 sometimes 40 threes  a night playing small.

"they are asking Pierce and Garnett to do the same things they were doing four years ago, and haven't really surrounded them with any talent. Mullin is a simple man. But correct here.
Man you know who would really help with our spacing issues and three point shooting? 

Ray Allen.  Dude is averaging 12 points in 26 minutes while shooting 48% FG, 47% from three, and 87% from the line.  It's a shame we undervalued him, tried to trade him multiple times, benched him for a unproven role player, signed his replacement before he had even decided on a team... and essentially drove him out of town.

Lol

I do have to admit I'm surprised Rondo has been able to actually increase his assists despite not having Ray as a weapon.  I didn't expect that.

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 11:15:40 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Chris Mullin said tonight We play small, and slow. We have poor spacing we took nine three's tonight. While the Knicks shoot 30 sometimes 40 threes  a night playing small.

"they are asking Pierce and Garnett to do the same things they were doing four years ago, and haven't really surrounded them with any talent. Mullin is a simple man. But correct here.
Man you know who would really help with our spacing issues and three point shooting? 

Ray Allen.  Dude is averaging 12 points in 26 minutes while shooting 48% FG, 47% from three, and 87% from the line.  It's a shame we undervalued him, tried to trade him multiple times, benched him for a unproven role player, signed his replacement before he had even decided on a team... and essentially drove him out of town.

Lol

I do have to admit I'm surprised Rondo has been able to actually increase his assists despite not having Ray as a weapon.  I didn't expect that.

If he had stayed, Ray Allen would not be getting any of the looks he's getting down in Miami.  No way would he be nearly as efficient.  He would be struggling exactly as much as Terry, only we'd be paying more for him and he's 2 years older.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 11:21:26 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

We didn't undervalue him. The Heat aren't exactly killing people when Ray's playing, despite those gaudy numbers.

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 12:03:06 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I was looking up the team stats the other day and I was shocked to see how low Boston ranked on three point attempts. They have taken the third fewest three point attempts in the league.

With long distance shooters like Pierce, Terry and Lee ... I expected them be much higher.

New York lead the league in three point attempts with double as many as Boston have. Against the league average, Boston has about 34% less three point attempts than that league average.

They are taking very few three pointers.

Yeah, I read not long ago that the Celtics took many, many more 3 pointers in 2008 and 2010.  No coincidence that those were the years that the team had the most success.

If you're going to rely on jumpshots to succeed, it's way more efficient to take a lot of threes than to take a lot of mid-range shots, like the Celtics do this year.

It's more efficient to take shots you're going to make. KG, Bass and Rondo tend to take a lot of long 2s, moving them beyond their range won't help their efficiency.

Well sure, but the point is, you'd rather base your offense around guys who can take and make threes around 38-40+ percent of the time rather than hitting two pointers 45-50 percent of the time.

Right now, the offense centers around taking long twos.  Even hitting a good percentage of those -- for long twos -- you're still hitting less than 50%.

The Celtics have shooters who can take and make threes, but we're not maximizing those attempts.

You'd rather be attacking the rim than shooting threes. But beyond that, we've got a couple of three point shooters (Pierce and Terry) that are both averaging almost 5 attempts a game, which is a reasonable amount. I suppose Green could take more threes but again if it comes at the expense of taking the ball to the hoop it's a bad tradeoff. While it's true the offense takes a lot of long twos, the players that take the most (KG, Bass, Rondo) aren't really 3 point shooters.

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 12:43:34 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

"they are asking Pierce and Garnett to do the same things they were doing four years ago, and haven't really surrounded them with any talent.

I think the team has talent.  Maybe not championship level talent, but better than 8th seed in the East talent.  But this is still an offense that's almost entirely built on...

1.  Running plays to get Pierce a shot.
2.  Running plays to get KG a shot.
3.  Rondo getting himself a shot or driving and dishing.
4.  Those baseline pick plays that were becoming less and less effective when Ray was here.
5.   ?

Mike

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 01:21:37 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
I like it. The 18th best team winning its 18th championship.

Great. Let's do it

Go Celtics!

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 01:47:32 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I like it. The 18th best team winning its 18th championship.

Great. Let's do it

Go Celtics!

Er, if they are the 18th best team in the league they won't be getting into the playoffs. Not what I believe, but just saying.

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 01:52:37 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Asked to do

By Doc Rivers....
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 01:59:31 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
I don't think this is the "18" we were shooting for ...  :-\
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis