Author Topic: Rumor: Celtics May Make Run at Tyreke Evans  (Read 11202 times)

Re: Rumor: Celtics May Make Run at Tyreke Evans
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 05:04:30 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
There is no chance they move Cousins for anything we're offering including Rondo.

If Danny could get Cousins/Evans for Green/Bradley that deal would have been done yesterday.

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012, 05:37:13 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
I think Varejao is the best option out there if we want to keep this team together. But he has become a fan favorite in Cleveland, so not so sure they would move him.

Cousins and Evans I'm sure are both available for the right price. You could probably even get them both if you offered an athletic yet underachieving sf originally out of Georgetown and Bradley.

DONE!!!!!

My thought was, 'IMPOSSIBLE!'

DeMarcus would require Rondo be involved.

Obviously I was kidding.

Seriously, back onto this thread, if we could flip CLee, Bass and picks for Tyreke and Jason Thompson then definitely.

Tyreke gives us penetration, potential, someone who can create shots and an actual ballhandler behind Rondo. Tyreke would allow AB to play semi-off-ball which he seems to excel at.

I would not give up AB for Tyreke, however.

Lee and Bass are solid bench players and have friendlier contracts than the Kings' outgoing players (if I recall correctly). They'd be able to invest in Robinson and Thornton fully. Plus they'd get picks.

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 06:03:51 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Tyreke can stay in SAC Town. No thanks.

I'd take him for Lee+ a pick or something, but they'll get more for him elsewhere. Guys got the IQ of a lamp post.

Someone said that SAC wouldn't give up Cousins even if Rondo was involved. I don't agree. They'd do that deal in an instant.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2012, 08:09:46 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Speculation. Why would we want Evans and how would he fit into an already overcrowded backcourt with a ball dominant point guard?

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2012, 08:45:52 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Don't see how Tyreke would be an improvement over Bradley. When healthy, Avery's looked like the perfect 2 to play with Rondo.

I wouldn't hesitate to move Avery in a trade, but certainly not this one.

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2012, 08:46:23 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Speculation. Why would we want Evans and how would he fit into an already overcrowded backcourt with a ball dominant point guard?

For me, it's all about adding talent. And Evans' talent can't be denied. The guy has tremendous upside (all NBA team type upside) and is only 1 year younger than Bradley. The Heat figured it out with two ball dominant players, so I'm of the mindset that talent will find a way. Rondo and Evans are just too good to not figure things out.

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2012, 08:47:25 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

For me, it's all about adding talent. And Evans' talent can't be denied. The guy has tremendous upside (all NBA team type upside) and is only 1 year younger than Bradley. The Heat figured it out with two ball dominant players, so I'm of the mindset that talent will find a way. Rondo and Evans are just too good to not figure things out.

How much better are they of a 1-2 combo than the Bucks' Monta Ellis & Brandon Jennings?

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2012, 08:47:31 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
This isn't a rumor, this is speculation based on a 3 or 4 year old rumor. 

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2012, 08:49:42 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I just don't see him fitting well. His ball dominate style goes against what Rondo brings to the team. Say the Cs trade for him in package build around Green. The Cs would then be using Evans as there 6th man and primary back up for all 3 wing positions. This would be great for the 11 min a game that rondo isn't on the floor, but the 20min that they would share would be problematic. The only way this work is if evans learns to be an effective cutter off the ball. This is the one skill offensively that made AB effective playing with rondo last year. Cutting along with continuing to improve his 3pt shot up to 30% this year from 25% and maybe this works.... but i doubt it

for the sake of discussion

To Sac Green, Lee, and 1st (or Melo)

To Cs  Evans, Thompson , Garcia

Sac, gets a young vet (high character) SF to play along side Cousins. Moving thompson opens up minutes for robinson. Lee pairs with Thorton to form there SG rotation and take up evans minutes, adds defense on the perimeter for sac.

Boston, thompson becomes the starting PF. The Cs eight man rotation becomes the following.

PG  Rondo
SG  Avery
SF  Pierce
PF  Thompson
C   KG
6th Evans
7th Terry
8th Bass

When rondo sits Evans becomes primary ball handler with terry or AB at the 2  (this potential is great defensively with the small 2 guarding the point). The big thing becomes can a lineup of Rondo, AB/Terry, and Evans spread the floor enough to be effective? Can the Cs compete with the knicks and heat without a big SF? Also building chemistry for this year goes out the window. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2012, 08:52:52 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

How much better are they of a 1-2 combo than the Bucks' Monta Ellis & Brandon Jennings?

Potentially speaking, I would say a lot. Jennings and Ellis are a very small backcourt and I'm not very fond of how their collective lack of size compliments each other. Evans is 6-6 220 and has legit 2 guard size, where Ellis is a 2 guard stuck in a 1's body.

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2012, 08:53:54 AM »

Offline snowball

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
Evans is probably one of those guys
the malcontent, chip-on-shoulder type
who would respond well to the pressures
and obsession in Boston for the Celtics.

I'd have to say go for it.

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2012, 09:40:31 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

I do wonder - how much of this is based on how badly Danny wanted Tyreke before the 09 draft versus any current interest.

My guess is "a lot"
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2012, 09:48:33 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This isn't a rumor, this is speculation based on a 3 or 4 year old rumor.

I wonder if the Kings fans are all excited at the rumor that "Ainge willing to move Rondo for Evans"?  (it was that same rumor we are talking about)

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2012, 10:19:34 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Ford reading the Celtics boards I guess. Tyreke makes sense if we didn't already have rondo. Two ball dominant players can co-exist if one them can shoot, and in this case neither one can.

This by no stretch means Danny won't trade for him. While there's clear risk considering he doesn't fit well with Rondo, 1) he can score, 2) the Kings want to be rid of him and will sell low, 3) he does fit well with Bradley.

Evans is in a restricted contract year, which i presume the Cs see as a plus. If the Kings would be dumb enough to take Green for him -- especially if we would take Outlaw or some other light luggage from them -- I think it's a no-brainer.

Looking down the road a bit, if Evans did pan out and improve, the Cs have more options around trading Rondo -- their most valuable asset. 

More importantly, Cs management want to win a ring this year. I expect them to be bold and take some chances considering the slim chances they have as currently constituted. That includes buying low on established talent where they can. 

« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:25:18 AM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2012, 10:24:20 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

I do wonder - how much of this is based on how badly Danny wanted Tyreke before the 09 draft versus any current interest.

My guess is "a lot"

It's all based on that. Ford calls them a team to watch out for based on his knowledge of draft interest -- where Ford focuses, and the clear divide amongst pundits (including his doubt) about Evans ability to improve.

That said, does anyone really doubt that Ainge is kicking tires on Evans, when he does so on virtually any and every player? He's famous for it...

Mike

(My name is not Mike)