Author Topic: Is Boston's offensive system a problem?  (Read 3496 times)

Re: Is Boston's offensive system a problem?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 06:32:56 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
We are long overdue for an some tweaking, or an outright overhaul of the system. Question remains, Can Doc put his ego aside and try something different? Pop did it with the Spurs, and Doc needs to do the same thing here. Opening up the offense will go a long way. Give players not named Rondo, Pierce, and Garnett opportunity to find their game rather than forcing them into box i.e Jason Terry. With all the firepower on this squad, Celtics must eclipse the century point mark every game. Anything short of that is a bad night.

Doc is not Pop.

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 06:45:37 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Yes. Ball sits for too long in one guys hands. Advance the ball, attack the rim, take SMART three pointers... don't slowly dribble so that Rondo can run one play in 14 seconds, or pass it to KG or Paul just to attack a single matchup. Push it up the floor, get it inside, see what develops, cut to the rim, kick it back out off double teams... BE SMART BASKETBALL PLAYERS.

The best teams don't have the ball in one man's hands for the entire game, regardless of wether or not that man passes for assists or shoots from isolation sets... it's just not good when the entire defense isn't being forced to move their feet.

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 06:49:02 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
Yes. Ball sits for too long in one guys hands. Advance the ball, attack the rim, take SMART three pointers... don't slowly dribble so that Rondo can run one play in 14 seconds, or pass it to KG or Paul just to attack a single matchup. Push it up the floor, get it inside, see what develops, cut to the rim, kick it back out off double teams... BE SMART BASKETBALL PLAYERS.

The best teams don't have the ball in one man's hands for the entire game, regardless of wether or not that man passes for assists or shoots from isolation sets... it's just not good when the entire defense isn't being forced to move their feet.

agree tp.

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 08:42:57 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Yup, our players are being handcuffed all the way to having one of the top FG%s in the league every season ::)

Shooting percentage isn't the end all, be all of offense.  Number of shots, turnovers, offensive production in clutch situations and not having long scoring droughts also matter.  Point differential is also not just about defending.  If you play great defense but can't score yourself, you make every game tougher than it needs to be.  And there's also "blowout-ability".  Being able to get 15 to 20 points up and stay there against bad teams is a valuable offensive benefit in being able to rest players.

But perhaps I am blaspheming against the Holy Doc.

Mike

I don't think it's the team has big problems with long scoring droughts, no clutch scoring or too many turnovers. We don't need to change our offense to fix problems from previous seasons.

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 08:43:42 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Yes

It has always been a problem under Doc. This is not a new situation.

Go back and watch the offense Jim Obrien ran when he had a young Pierce and Antoine. Doc is clueless.

Haha. *That* was a juggernaut offense.

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 09:31:09 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
It is a bit concerning that over the past few years a lot of players were better offensive basketball players before they came to Boston.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 09:40:46 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
It is a bit concerning that over the past few years a lot of players were better offensive basketball players before they came to Boston.

And many players improved when they came here.

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 10:09:16 PM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5

That and doc's substitution patterns this year are awful

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 10:36:10 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

such as?  you might actually have an example but I'm struggling to come up with one player that played better offense under Doc than the team they played for previously.

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2012, 10:39:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
In a word, yes.

Way too much firepower on this team for it to be a middling team in terms of offensive efficiency.  The terrible offensive rebounding is a part of the "offensive system," so that's not an adequate excuse.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 11:39:50 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

such as?  you might actually have an example but I'm struggling to come up with one player that played better offense under Doc than the team they played for previously.

I'd start with players like Shaq, Krstic and Green (the year he was traded).

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2012, 11:43:57 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
In a word, yes.

Way too much firepower on this team for it to be a middling team in terms of offensive efficiency.  The terrible offensive rebounding is a part of the "offensive system," so that's not an adequate excuse.

First of all we have a decent offense but not "way too much firepower to be a middling team". Secondly, the team scores pretty efficiently and takes decent care of the ball. The offense will only be so good with our OReb "system". Declaring that it's not an adequate excuse doesn't change the reality of the situation.

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 11:46:13 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
My biggest problem with the C's offense is that they are still running Ray's plays way too often, but Terry and Lee are not Ray Allen.  Even with Ray, the offense stagnated the last couple years as they waited for him to come off picks, but with these new guys, it not only stagnates, but when they get open, they can't finish like Ray could.

It is still early enough that I am going to give them more time.  But they really need to do more to adjust to the talent they have. 

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2012, 11:52:47 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I'd start with players like Shaq

Shaq with the C's was a thing of beauty in the short time he was here.  Shaq stays healthy, we win the chip that year.

Part of it was just Shaq's pure size and elite skill  (while diminished) around the basket.  Part of it was playing off of KG and Pierce, and part of it was Rondo's passing.

Point it, this team needs a big who can score in the post.  A big you can go to, even when the team is offensively struggling, and count on for a bucket, is huge.  Rondo needs a guy who can pick and roll, not just pick and pop.  Currently, we just don't have anyone who excels in the "roll" part of a pick and roll.  Wilcox is about the closest.

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 11:54:27 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I will keep repeating until someone hears me.  The offense is stagnant because the players are.  If movement occurs, the offense will pick up.  People "pay" to watch, they "get paid" to move!  Someone please explain it to the players.  Rondo getting down the floor and then dribbling for 15 seconds while he waits for the offensive to set up is not working.  The only thing setting up is the defense, causing turnovers and bad shots.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!