Author Topic: Keep KG at center, get Paul Millsap NOW! (Sully or Bradley must go)  (Read 8468 times)

Re: Keep KG at center, get Paul Millsap NOW! (Sully or Bradley must go)
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 10:23:36 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Millsap was who I wanted to try and trade Perk (plus sweetners) for back in 2010 when the Celtics were struggling and Utah's lack of size and interior defense was a major issue for them. I wanted to move Garnett to the five full time and play quicker lineups. Anyway, they made the Finals that year so things worked out alright in the end.

Back to today, I am still a big fan of putting Millsap (PF) alongside Garnett (C). I think that would be a very strong combination and a great fit throughout the lineup and many other lineup variations. Millsap is one of the most well rounded PFs in the league. Shooting ability, shot-creation, can play off of others as well, passing ability, rebounding ability, very good quickness on team defense and the ability to matchup against many quick fours or stretch fours. That versatility will make so many things work for Boston.

I am not sure Boston has anything to offer Utah though.
  • I don't think Jeff Green has much value there due to Marvin Williams.
  • They don't need a $7 million per year fourth big like Brandon Bass.
  • I don't think Courtney Lee's multi-year contract will be looked upon positively either.
  • I don't think Sully has much value either since they already have two young bigs to develop in Favors and Kanter.
  • Avery Bradley is the only real hope I see here but I am not sold on Utah taking that trade package either. They need more offense from their starting PG than Bradley offers. They are not strong enough on the wings to get away with someone like Bradley as a full time PG. Plus, they have their SG of the future in Gordon Hayward already who is a very talented player.

So I don't think Boston has anything to offer to Utah for Millsap. I doubt they can put together a three team deal either. I mean, if Millsap is in the offing, why take Boston's package over Millsap? Hardly any teams in the league do that.

It looks like an impossible deal to make. 

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 11:23:55 AM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85
We definitely need an upgrade at starting PF, and the solution isn't moving KG back. He is an all-star caliber starting C. The good thing about Bass, is he's going to give us 10ppg and 5reb off the bench or starting. He's consistent.

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 11:38:23 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Millsap was who I wanted to try and trade Perk (plus sweetners) for back in 2010 when the Celtics were struggling and Utah's lack of size and interior defense was a major issue for them. I wanted to move Garnett to the five full time and play quicker lineups. Anyway, they made the Finals that year so things worked out alright in the end.

Back to today, I am still a big fan of putting Millsap (PF) alongside Garnett (C). I think that would be a very strong combination and a great fit throughout the lineup and many other lineup variations. Millsap is one of the most well rounded PFs in the league. Shooting ability, shot-creation, can play off of others as well, passing ability, rebounding ability, very good quickness on team defense and the ability to matchup against many quick fours or stretch fours. That versatility will make so many things work for Boston.

• I don't think Courtney Lee's multi-year contract will be looked upon positively either.
  • I don't think Sully has much value either since they already have two young bigs to develop in Favors and Kanter.
  • Avery Bradley is the only real hope I see here but I am not sold on Utah taking that trade package either. They need more offense from their starting PG than Bradley offers. They are not strong enough on the wings to get away with someone like Bradley as a full time PG. Plus, they have their SG of the future in Gordon Hayward already who is a very talented player.

So I don't think Boston has anything to offer to Utah for Millsap. I doubt they can put together a three team deal either. I mean, if Millsap is in the offing, why take Boston's package over Millsap? Hardly any teams in the league do that.

and yet AGAIN................where is our Big to defend the rim when KG is out? collins? wilcox?  :-[ :-[
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 11:43:27 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
wait, so who is the rim protector when KG is out? wilcox? Your trade still does not solve our glaring problem. a rim protector when KG is out!!

And hark, a voice of reason fought through the noise!

Our defense goes out the window when KG sits, and to my eyes that's the biggest problem with this team right now. That said, the D is getting better (it's already miles ahead of where it was the first few games), but we need a vocal, defensively minded big to spell KG for the 20 minutes he sits.

agreed 100%....we fix that and we are in business amigo! Our offense is better than last years. we do not have 4 minute droughts anymore that I have seen either. we have more scoring off the bench also. I do have issues with doc not telling those guys to attack the basket more with post ups, dribble drives, dribble and dishes and cutters. we still shoot way too many contested jumpers for my liking.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 11:58:22 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
All these trades are nice that include Verajao or Gortat.
Problem with both is that KG is then forced to guard the opposing team's power forward and I'm not sure if his body can handle the grind.

I don't see what "grind" is involved in guarding PFs.  I think guarding and bodying against centers is much more of a grind.  KG was very reluctant at first to move to center and wanted to stay at PF.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 12:05:11 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
All these trades are nice that include Verajao or Gortat.
Problem with both is that KG is then forced to guard the opposing team's power forward and I'm not sure if his body can handle the grind.

I don't see what "grind" is involved in guarding PFs.  I think guarding and bodying against centers is much more of a grind.  KG was very reluctant at first to move to center and wanted to stay at PF.
It's more on the knees. More bending. More changing directions. More distance to cover on help defense. More movement in general. 

There is a lot less pressure on a player's knees at the PF position than at center.

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 12:07:23 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

and yet AGAIN................where is our Big to defend the rim when KG is out? collins? wilcox?  :-[ :-[

A bigger big would be better, but if none are available for trade, this would still be an addition that would help the Celtics.

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 12:11:12 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

A bigger big would be better, but if none are available for trade, this would still be an addition that would help the Celtics.

Agreed.  I think people underestimate just how much talent the C's are missing by having an 8th man in the starting lineup (in fact, they currently have 2).  While Millsap isn't the ideal solution, he would be a massive talent upgrade in the frontcourt, which would make a huge difference, and allow them to get away a little better with some of the roleplayers they have. 

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 12:41:34 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I cant' believe that every team in the league isn't bending over backwards for Paul Milsap, who IMO, is a picture perfect addition for this team.

One thing with Lee, while his contract might be a little long: he'd still be a very significant upgrade to what Utah has in their lineup currently. So they may be open to something like Bradley and Lee ( I can't see them biting on Bass, though perhaps another team would be interested)

Mo Williams
Avery Bradley / Lee
Gordan Hayward / Williams
Derrick Favors / Kanter
Al Jefferson

My one concern in being able to get Milsap is that I kind of feel like Houston will be in the hunt for him. He'd be a really nice fit there.

EDIT: I'd also be willing to throw Sullinger into that trade to make it happen

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2012, 12:47:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
wait, so who is the rim protector when KG is out? wilcox? Your trade still does not solve our glaring problem. a rim protector when KG is out!!
Boston's glaring problem is a lack of talent.  The team just doesn't have good enough and consistent enough players.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2012, 12:48:58 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Boston's glaring problem is a lack of talent.  The team just doesn't have good enough and consistent enough players.

Also, the Birdman

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2012, 03:39:48 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I see a lot of people are worried about a rim protector when KG is out of the game. I'd say Millsap is a slight upgrade over Bass defensively, and if you kept him in the game, whilst going after someone like K Mart or another cheap rim protector we'd probably get away with it because of the upgrade to our starting unit that Millsap brings.
We're talking about a guy who could average 20/8 as our starting power forward. He's averaging around 16 ppg this season but any PF with Rondo dishing him easy looks all night is going to get a point per game boost. Think about that extra 10 points and 3 rebounds a night over what Bass currently brings.
Best part is if we could make the deal without moving Bass, we could have Millsap and Bass out there when KG is off, with Bass coming in off the bench.

Do we need to spend 5-8 million on a rim protector or do we want someone who can give us scoring as well?

1 million on Chris Anderson or Kenyon Martin (or cut Joseph and get BOTH) might do us enough with the bench defense when we add this much scoring, rebounding and interior toughness.

Millsap just seems a whole lot easier to get than Smith at this stage and he keeps KG at center on offense and defense.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2012, 03:50:43 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

The glaring problem for this team is our defense when KG's on the bench. Fix that problem and we'll be fine.

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2012, 04:43:27 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Millsap would be a definite upgrade over Bass, but if the chief problem is lack of a rim protector, the target should be Gortat. He had 6 blocks last night, and is averaging better than 2 a game. He also had 14 points and 13 rebounds, and is averaging 11 and 8 in those categories. Plus he's a great pick-and-roll player, and shooting better than 52% from the field.

In fact, there isn't much he doesn't do well for a center.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2012, 04:58:12 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Biggest hole is absolutely C behind KG.

Secondary issue is to address in trade would be consolidating a couple of our depth guys at PF (Sully, Bass, Wilcox, ~Green) and SG (Lee, Terry, ~AB, Barbosa) into a better player.