Author Topic: What Does This Season Say About Rondo?  (Read 6360 times)

Re: What Does This Season Say About Rondo?
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2012, 01:26:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

When I read these "Rondo can't lead the team to a title" posts, I always wonder, "who can?"

Outside of Lebron James and Kevin Durant what players out there ensure, by simple virtue of being on the team--pretty much regardless of who is around them, that their teams will be in title contention?

. . .

Rondo's a top ten player.  Surround him with the right talent and you've got a championship caliber team.  I'm not saying that's an easy task.  That's why only one in thirty teams wins the title each year. 

But, if there's one guy on this team who is an absolute keeper, it's Rajon Rondo.  We should consider ourselves very lucky to have a legitimate superstar caliber player making about $11million per year.

I don't disagree with much of what you said.

1. Rondo is a very good player, one of the best 15-20 in the league during the regular season, and probably better than that in the playoffs.

2. Rondo is not good enough to single handedly lead a team to a championship, but most players not named LeBron James and Kevin Durant aren't, either.

3. Rondo is a great bargain at $11 million per year.

However:

a) It's going to take more than one top 15-20 player to build an elite team.  How are the Celtics going to surround Rondo with a better supporting cast than he's got this year?  That's the question I'm asking that nobody is even trying to answer.

b) Rondo isn't going to be a bargain after his current deal ends, which isn't that far off.  He'll get a max deal from somebody.  Once he's eating up a quarter of the cap, it'll be even harder to surround him with the talent we need to really go far.

Again, I'm not saying this because I think we definitely need to trade Rondo.  But I think there needs to be a conversation about this because it's worth asking -- how do we improve this team moving forward? 

If you think that more or less maintaining the status quo will be enough, then I can respect that.  Perhaps you think the sample size so far this year is too small, or you think the pieces just don't quite fit and a better arranged supporting cast would have more success.

I'm not convinced, though, and that's why I'm concerned. 
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2012, 01:29:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
The conclusion is that Rondo is not one of this guy who you can surround with half a dozen of "solid players" and expect a great season. And that's not necessarily bad -- Rondo is part of the solution, but the solution is to bring another all-star caliber player. Otherwise, you'll be the Orlando Magic with Dwight Howard for years to come.

I agree, you can't surround Rondo with a half dozen solid players and have a great season.

However, you CAN surround Rondo with a half dozen solid players (actually, the C's have more than a half dozen), and beat ANY team in the league on a given night, if Rondo is healthy and focussed.  And that could be enough to make some real noise in the playoffs.

But that's exactly the point of this post, which some people seem to be missing.

Danny has surrounded Rondo with a collection of solid talent.  This should be enough to be a more than adequate supporting cast.  Rondo is having one of his best years yet, if not his best.

Yet the team looks decidedly mediocre.  Where's the disconnect?  That's all I'm asking.

And what I am saying is that I believe Rondo is not the type of player who can carry a team through a long season.  But, that doesn't mean he can't carry them in the playoffs. 

So, if you are looking for a guy to lead your team to win 60 games, we are looking at some evidence that Rondo might not be your guy.  But that might not translate to the same lack of success in the playoffs.

Okay, I see what you're saying.  And it's legitimate.  There's no doubt that Rondo is a different player in the playoffs.

But right now, this team doesn't look like it's going to get to 50 wins, let alone 60.

And how many teams go far in the playoffs without having home court advantage . . . ever?  Because even in the weak Eastern Conference you usually need to win at least 50 games to have a shot at home court in the first round, let alone beyond that. 

Indeed, in some more competitive years winning fewer than 48-50 games might see you missing the playoffs.

Currently the C's are 1 game out of the 4th spot in the East.

Last year they were the 4 seed and went to the conference finals.  Last year they were on pace to win 48 games, had it been a 62 game season.  In 2010, they won 50 games, had the 4th seed, and went to the finals.

Boston needs to play better, but they are right in the thick of it.

I guess we'll see, Chris.

I understand that they started out poorly last year and turned things around.  The 2009-2010 team obviously was a picture of mediocrity most of the regular season.

But I tend to think that both of those situations were different.  I don't know that there's as much reason to think that this team can go to another level.

But I've been wrong before.  Hopefully what we see is not what we get with this team. 
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2012, 01:30:36 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
What does the Lakers and Howard have to do with the Celtics and Rondo?

He said that the Celts are playing poorly with Rondo so we should trade him. I suggested trading him for Howard since the Lakers are doing even worse. Shockingly, he decided that the Lakers trading Howard because the team is off to a slow start was a bad idea.

Woah. When did we have this conversation?  Because unless the "he" you're referring to was you talking to yourself, I never said any of those things that you're attributing to me.

So are you claiming that you said the Lakers should consider trading Howard because the Lakers are off to a bad start or that you didn't respond to my post?

Different situations.

Howard was just traded to the team.

Rondo has been here

Howard is a FA at the end of the season which will effect his trade value.

Rondo is locked up with a good contract.

Lakers have said they are committed to rebuilding around Howard.

Celtics have not said that about Rondo.

« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2012, 01:32:36 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
The conclusion is that Rondo is not one of this guy who you can surround with half a dozen of "solid players" and expect a great season. And that's not necessarily bad -- Rondo is part of the solution, but the solution is to bring another all-star caliber player. Otherwise, you'll be the Orlando Magic with Dwight Howard for years to come.

I agree, you can't surround Rondo with a half dozen solid players and have a great season.

However, you CAN surround Rondo with a half dozen solid players (actually, the C's have more than a half dozen), and beat ANY team in the league on a given night, if Rondo is healthy and focussed.  And that could be enough to make some real noise in the playoffs.

But that's exactly the point of this post, which some people seem to be missing.

Danny has surrounded Rondo with a collection of solid talent.  This should be enough to be a more than adequate supporting cast.  Rondo is having one of his best years yet, if not his best.

Yet the team looks decidedly mediocre.  Where's the disconnect?  That's all I'm asking.

Maybe the disconnect is that you expect the team to play better than it is later in the season and you expect Rondo to play better than he is during the playoffs but you still posed this question like where we are now is the best we can expect with Rondo on the team.

By a number of metrics, Rondo is having his best season yet. 

I don't agree with this at all.  His production this season is similar to his other seasons.  His assists are up, but so are his turnovers.  His steals are down.  Granted, he is shooting MUCH better than he did last year, but his overall FG% is slightly better than some of his other seasons.

If he gets his PER over 20, I will give him the nod.

Well I guess the point is, do you think this season more or less represents the best we can expect from Rondo during the regular season? 

Rondo is definitely a different player in the post-season, but as far as leading the team to wins in the regular season, I think we pretty much know what to expect at this point.

I don't see why one of the worst seasons we've had with Rondo here (when even you are expecting improvement) is "the best we can expect". That's kind of like saying the more mediocre teams we've seen Paul or KG on is the best we can expect from them in terms of wins.

I guess it's like those mediocre seasons we've seen from teams with Paul and KG if you think this supporting cast is analogous to those supporting casts.  Is this team on par with those Celtics and T-Wolves teams featuring guys like Wally Z, Sam Cassell, Antoine Walker, etc?  That may be so.

But if it is so, can we really expect Danny to put much more talent than this around Rondo?  When and how is that going to happen? 

If not, is "above average to pretty good" the best we can expect of teams built around Rondo? 

No, we probably have a better (although not very cohesive) team tis year than many of the teams PP and KG had, but that still doesn't explain why you think that some of the worst play we've had on Rondo's team is the best we can expect from him. Do you generally think that the worst teams play with a given player leading them is the best they can do?

Or do you think that Rondo is going to take another step and become a guy who plays like a superstar almost every night, rather than just in nationally televised games, or two out of every three games in the playoffs?

So you're saying that I could go back and look at the Celts games over the last couple of years and see markedly better play from Rondo on any nationally televised game?

« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2012, 01:35:50 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

And what I am saying is that I believe Rondo is not the type of player who can carry a team through a long season.  But, that doesn't mean he can't carry them in the playoffs. 

So, if you are looking for a guy to lead your team to win 60 games, we are looking at some evidence that Rondo might not be your guy.  But that might not translate to the same lack of success in the playoffs.

Okay, I see what you're saying.  And it's legitimate.  There's no doubt that Rondo is a different player in the playoffs.

But right now, this team doesn't look like it's going to get to 50 wins, let alone 60.

And how many teams go far in the playoffs without having home court advantage . . . ever?  Because even in the weak Eastern Conference you usually need to win at least 50 games to have a shot at home court in the first round, let alone beyond that. 

Indeed, in some more competitive years winning fewer than 48-50 games might see you missing the playoffs.

Currently the C's are 1 game out of the 4th spot in the East.

Last year they were the 4 seed and went to the conference finals.  Last year they were on pace to win 48 games, had it been a 62 game season.  In 2010, they won 50 games, had the 4th seed, and went to the finals.

Boston needs to play better, but they are right in the thick of it.

I guess we'll see, Chris.

I understand that they started out poorly last year and turned things around.  The 2009-2010 team obviously was a picture of mediocrity most of the regular season.

But I tend to think that both of those situations were different.  I don't know that there's as much reason to think that this team can go to another level.

But I've been wrong before.  Hopefully what we see is not what we get with this team.

See, I think it would be less of a surprise for this team to turn it around than it was for last years team.  Last years team had significantly less talent, after the injury bug hit them.  They came together, despite the fact that they were really piecing it together with their secondary pieces.

This year, they have a ton more talent, outside their core, which gives them a lot more room to grow.  Green, Sully, Lee, etc. are all guys they would have killed to have last year. 

Now, they still have to come together, and figure out their identity.  But, the talent is there, every bit as much as it was last season.

« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2012, 01:36:55 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

He said that the Celts are playing poorly with Rondo so we should trade him. I suggested trading him for Howard since the Lakers are doing even worse. Shockingly, he decided that the Lakers trading Howard because the team is off to a slow start was a bad idea.

Woah. When did we have this conversation?  Because unless the "he" you're referring to was you talking to yourself, I never said any of those things that you're attributing to me.

So are you claiming that you said the Lakers should consider trading Howard because the Lakers are off to a bad start or that you didn't respond to my post?

Different situations.

Rondo has been here

True, but both teams have made significant changes to their rotations.

« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2012, 01:40:16 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Different situations.

Rondo has been here

True.

But the key players for the Celtics have stayed the same. 

I don' t think the Celtics will move Rondo but I would not to be surprised to hear rumors of shopping Rondo if the team doesn't pick up it's play. 

« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2012, 01:46:44 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

When I read these "Rondo can't lead the team to a title" posts, I always wonder, "who can?"

Outside of Lebron James and Kevin Durant what players out there ensure, by simple virtue of being on the team--pretty much regardless of who is around them, that their teams will be in title contention?

. . .

Rondo's a top ten player.  Surround him with the right talent and you've got a championship caliber team.  I'm not saying that's an easy task.  That's why only one in thirty teams wins the title each year. 

But, if there's one guy on this team who is an absolute keeper, it's Rajon Rondo.  We should consider ourselves very lucky to have a legitimate superstar caliber player making about $11million per year.

I don't disagree with much of what you said.

1. Rondo is a very good player, one of the best 15-20 in the league during the regular season, and probably better than that in the playoffs.

2. Rondo is not good enough to single handedly lead a team to a championship, but most players not named LeBron James and Kevin Durant aren't, either.

3. Rondo is a great bargain at $11 million per year.

However:

a) It's going to take more than one top 15-20 player to build an elite team.  How are the Celtics going to surround Rondo with a better supporting cast than he's got this year?  That's the question I'm asking that nobody is even trying to answer.

b) Rondo isn't going to be a bargain after his current deal ends, which isn't that far off.  He'll get a max deal from somebody.  Once he's eating up a quarter of the cap, it'll be even harder to surround him with the talent we need to really go far.

Again, I'm not saying this because I think we definitely need to trade Rondo.  But I think there needs to be a conversation about this because it's worth asking -- how do we improve this team moving forward? 

If you think that more or less maintaining the status quo will be enough, then I can respect that.  Perhaps you think the sample size so far this year is too small, or you think the pieces just don't quite fit and a better arranged supporting cast would have more success.

I'm not convinced, though, and that's why I'm concerned.

Good questions:

a)  I don't know the specific answers to that question.  I don't even think that Danny Ainge does at this point.  But, I do think we are in a fairly good place going forward with this team.  We've got more young assets than in the recent past; ergo, all the trade ideas and rumors involving guys like Lee, Bradley, Green, Bass, Sullinger, Melo, all our non essential players who might actually fetch us a player or two that make sense for the present as well as the future.  Or, some of those guys may end up having even more value as keepers. 

Also, we can finally (and sadly) start to see the end of the line for our aging stars.  Their leaving will free up money to make deals to bring in better players.

And, of course, we have one of the best players in the league on one of the best contracts in the league.  That's a good place to start.

b)Rondo is signed through the end of the 2014-2015 season.  Show me an elite level player that you think we can get for him that isn't already making substantially more money than Rondo or won't be sooner than by the end of the 2014-2015 season. 

I can't think of any. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2012, 01:47:30 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Maybe the disconnect is that you expect the team to play better than it is later in the season and you expect Rondo to play better than he is during the playoffs but you still posed this question like where we are now is the best we can expect with Rondo on the team.

Improving over the course of the season is one thing.

Going from a decidedly average team in every phase of the game except rebounding, where they are well below average, to an elite unit, is another.

We seem to agree that it's reasonable to expect this team to improve.  We clearly disagree about the room that there is for improvement.

No, we probably have a better (although not very cohesive) team tis year than many of the teams PP and KG had, but that still doesn't explain why you think that some of the worst play we've had on Rondo's team is the best we can expect from him. Do you generally think that the worst teams play with a given player leading them is the best they can do?

See above.  It seems that we both agree that the team is drastically underperforming right now.  We disagree about how much improvement we can expect moving forward.

I gather that you don't really blame Rondo for that at all, and I understand that.  I don't blame him either, per se, but my point is that despite Rondo playing at a pretty high level, his play hasn't elevated the guys who are around him. 

Yet the value of a floor general like Rondo (in the tradition of players like Stockton or Kidd), one would think, is that he makes the guys around him better. 

Look, coming into this year I felt great about this team's chances.  For the first time, it seemed that Danny was building the roster with Rondo in mind, surrounding him with guys who better fit his style.  Yet if anything the team looks more disjointed than it ever has before.

From my perspective, the major selling point of building around a point guard like Rondo is that with a great passer captaining your ship the team can be much greater than the sum of its parts.  So far, this team is doing a fantastic job of getting less out of more -- and that's the case even though Rondo is playing at a high level more consistently than ever before.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2012, 01:50:48 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

This year, they have a ton more talent, outside their core, which gives them a lot more room to grow.  Green, Sully, Lee, etc. are all guys they would have killed to have last year. 

Now, they still have to come together, and figure out their identity.  But, the talent is there, every bit as much as it was last season.

I tend to think so too, hence my concern, as I've already explained here in previous posts.

I guess I'm just not sure where the drastic improvement is going to come from.  Rondo is our most important player, but I can't imagine him elevating his play much higher than it already is, except in the playoffs where he takes on more of a scoring load and rebounds the ball more. 

That will help, but it won't give us the interior presence we so desperately lack, and it won't make the other guys more cohesive or their games more complementary.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2012, 01:51:02 PM »

Offline edwardjkasche

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
I never expected Rondo to LEAD a team to a title - PGs rarely do.

What I've learned from this season is something I already believed but that Rondo's play has made clear as day: Rondo cannot stay focused for 48 minutes a night, 82 games a year.

Not many players can, I know, but transcendent ones can (or can come close).  Rondo is not a transcendent player. 

Too often he disappears on offense or defense for stretches at a time, and when he disappears, others disappear with him (especially KG and Bass). 

A few years back, when Rondo would disappear, Doc simply gave the ball to Pierce or Allen and had them facilitate plays, but Allen is now gone, Pierce isn't the player he was, and Terry and Lee are still learning (or not fitting in). 

More is on Rondo's shoulders, and he doesn't seem to be able to carry the weight.  To be transcendent, you need to carry the weight when those around you cannot.  You actually need to want to carry the weight.  Rondo talks the talk but does not walk the walk.

« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2012, 01:59:09 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Different situations.

Rondo has been here

True.

But the key players for the Celtics have stayed the same.

They have but they haven't. If you could choos the biggest issue with the Celts this year I don't see why you'd pick anything other than defense when KG's on the bench. So Steamer leaving wasn't a "key loss", but it really was. It's also true that much of our defensive issues are due to the newer players missing their rotations. So I'd say that the turnover has effected our defense more than our offense and our offense is better than last year's.

I don' t think the Celtics will move Rondo but I would not to be surprised to hear rumors of shopping Rondo if the team doesn't pick up it's play.

That's an interesting issue. Do they dump Rondo and stick with KG and PP? I don't think that's very wise. Do they look at trading KG and PP and see how the new players look with Rondo? Do they keep all of the big three and try and flip the other players for another big?

« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2012, 02:00:50 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I tend to think so too, hence my concern, as I've already explained here in previous posts.

I guess I'm just not sure where the drastic improvement is going to come from.  Rondo is our most important player, but I can't imagine him elevating his play much higher than it already is, except in the playoffs where he takes on more of a scoring load and rebounds the ball more. 

That will help, but it won't give us the interior presence we so desperately lack, and it won't make the other guys more cohesive or their games more complementary.

I think it comes from a couple things.

Overall improvement by the team defense.  It is still work in progress.

Rondo playing defense again (hopefully with the help of Bradley).

Some shots starting to fall down the stretch by someone other than Jeff Green and Kevin Garnett.

Sully showing more consistent effort, so that he can take more of Bass' minutes.

And so on, and so forth.  Not only does this team have room to grow, but more importantly, they are not that far from being better in the first place. 

Yeah, they have a ways to go before they are competing with teams like the Heat, but they are not far off from being back in that second tier.

« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2012, 02:06:26 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Going from a decidedly average team in every phase of the game except rebounding, where they are well below average, to an elite unit, is another.

I would disagree with this. Last year we were 20th in defensive rebounding, this year we're 7th. That's not well below average. Also, we score very efficiently (as Who pointed out). We also play very good defense when KG's in the game, if we can get somewhat better when he's on the bench we'll be back among the top defensive teams.

« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2012, 02:31:10 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

We seem to agree that it's reasonable to expect this team to improve.  We clearly disagree about the room that there is for improvement.

See above.  It seems that we both agree that the team is drastically underperforming right now.  We disagree about how much improvement we can expect moving forward.

I gather that you don't really blame Rondo for that at all, and I understand that.  I don't blame him either, per se, but my point is that despite Rondo playing at a pretty high level, his play hasn't elevated the guys who are around him. 

Yet the value of a floor general like Rondo (in the tradition of players like Stockton or Kidd), one would think, is that he makes the guys around him better. 

Look, coming into this year I felt great about this team's chances.  For the first time, it seemed that Danny was building the roster with Rondo in mind, surrounding him with guys who better fit his style.  Yet if anything the team looks more disjointed than it ever has before.

From my perspective, the major selling point of building around a point guard like Rondo is that with a great passer captaining your ship the team can be much greater than the sum of its parts.  So far, this team is doing a fantastic job of getting less out of more -- and that's the case even though Rondo is playing at a high level more consistently than ever before.

I think you've hit on a truth about this team here, but at the same time slightly missed the mark.  Where I agree is that I do think that Danny has started to build a roster around Rondo.  However, at the same time, we still are a team that relies heavily on the play of Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett.  Those two are 35 and 36 respectively, and have grown to rely on playing a grind it out, defensive type game.

Doc's task is to incorporate the likes of Lee, Green, Bradley (when he returns), and Wilcox, the tempo guys--the guys who fit a Rondo style--in with the style of the older guys.  I don't think it's an easy task, but I also don't think it's an impossible task. 

We've got talent, but it's going to be a tricky thing to find the right balance, to get the most out of Pierce and Garnett this season, while getting the most out of Rondo and the more up-tempo players.

I think it'll happen.  And, when it does, I think we can be scary good.  When we turn that corner, a lot of folks might think that the transformation happened magically, but I won't think so.  I expect it. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson