Author Topic: The understated greatness of KG in terms of the all-star game  (Read 1811 times)

The understated greatness of KG in terms of the all-star game
« on: December 17, 2012, 09:13:29 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
He is currently the frontrunner for last starting big in the all-star voting for the eastern team. The part that amazes me is that he is in his 17th season in the NBA and is still currently voted above prime chris bosh. When you think about that, it should probably make you realize how great of a player KG is.

The other part that amazes me is that he transitioned gracefully to the center position, extending his career. Its not like every player can just easily adapt to a new position, but KG is dominating at the center position.

Re: The understated greatness of KG in terms of the all-star game
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 09:19:48 PM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85
B/R did an article on shot charts (I know many people hate B/R, but this was just stats, not an article) and KG's was VERY impressive

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1447176-shot-charts-for-10-nba-superstars

There's the link for anyone interested. KG is the last slide.

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 09:20:50 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
He is currently the frontrunner for last starting big in the all-star voting for the eastern team. The part that amazes me is that he is in his 17th season in the NBA and is still currently voted above prime chris bosh. When you think about that, it should probably make you realize how great of a player KG is.

The other part that amazes me is that he transitioned gracefully to the center position, extending his career. Its not like every player can just easily adapt to a new position, but KG is dominating at the center position.

He's incredible.  Let's not forget that he suffered that knee injury four years ago that caused many to postulate that maybe it was time for him to hang up the sneakers.

He keeps defying age, and playing like a warrior and a champion.  Truly, one of the greatest to ever play the game.  We are so lucky that he is a Celtic, and will now be considered among our pantheon of legends. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 09:30:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
KG is an amazing player, especially for his age.

However, I don't think fan voting is a good indicator of greatness.  It has more to do with popularity and name recognition than anything else.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 09:34:10 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
His play this year has been outstanding, considering his age, but Bosh should really be starting over him this year. Bosh's PER is 22.3 compared to KG's is 20.5. Bosh has a better TS%, rebounding rate, block percentage and a better WS/48. And his team is much better (so far).

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 09:36:01 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
His play this year has been outstanding, considering his age, but Bosh should really be starting over him this year. Bosh's PER is 22.3 compared to KG's is 20.5. Bosh has a better TS%, rebounding rate, block percentage and a better WS/48. And his team is much better (so far).
Bosh plays with lebron though, so PER cant be the all-decisive factor.

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 09:37:02 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Bosh is soft defensively, whereas KG is elite.  Shaq was right on when he labeled Bosh the Ru Paul of big men.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 11:04:53 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney

Bosh is soft defensively, whereas KG is elite.  Shaq was right on when he labeled Bosh the Ru Paul of big men.

Agree to disagree, I suppose. I think Bosh is an good-to-excellent defender.

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 11:05:50 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
Bosh plays with lebron though, so PER cant be the all-decisive factor.

That's why I listed a bunch of other numbers too. And KG plays with Rondo, which certainly helps him out quite a bit.

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 11:48:11 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Starters for allstar games are fan voted. I always was more impressed with Pierce getting voted in as a sub than a starter.

But the main point is true, KG is/has been pretty amazing.

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 11:52:39 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Iverson, mcgrady, etc. Fans love some of these guys to the end.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 12:56:06 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
KG is very popular in China(Anta),my guess is most of his votes come from there.

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 05:10:51 AM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle

A player is not determined by PER, win shares and stuff like that. This is sports, not math class.
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 08:44:10 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

He's certainly not excellent when defending the post. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ixly0Yg5g0

In terms of points allowed per possession, Bosh currently ranks 284th.  That's not excellent.

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 10:19:34 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
If KG isn't a top contender and probably winner of DPOY I will just not pay attention to awards any more.

Look at the +/-.  Case closed.

The best post defender in the league to me all around.

I don't think he's a bad one via the eye test but good to excellent?  NO way.   Especially not excellent, that's crazy talk.

His defense impressed me in the Finals I'll say that much for sure.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford