Poll

What kind of return, could the C's get for Jeff Green on Jan 15

He has negative value, and the C's would have to give up another asset for someone to take his contract
7 (29.2%)
He has even value, and could be traded straight up for an expiring contract
7 (29.2%)
He is worth an expiring contract and 1 first round pick
8 (33.3%)
He is worth an expiring contract and 2 first round picks
2 (8.3%)
He is worth an expiring contract and 3 or more first round picks
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: What is Jeff Green's trade value?  (Read 2552 times)

Re: What is Jeff Green's trade value?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 03:47:39 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Despite my feeling that he's still slightly negative, I also voted even. Basically due to his deal it takes a very specific team to want him, particularly one with a risk taking Gm. It's a very short list, though I think he's an appealing commodity based on his age, size and potential.

One team I wonder about: New Orleans. They have no starting caliber SF, and Green could be an interesting part of their rebuilding project there.

Lopez and Aminu works for Green.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 04:14:21 PM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 05:52:10 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
If Danny was forced to give J.Green $9 million a year for 4 years, it's gotta pretty good.

There was no reason for Danny to pay J.Green that kind of money if other teams weren't strongly in pursuit of him and offering something in the same neighbourhood or slightly below.

I think it was more the years than the money.  We did have Jeff on a $9M deal for one year before his heart surgery.  I think that is about what he is worth on the market.  He's only 25.

I think the years is what makes trading him hard.  If he was on a 2-year or less, teams would jump all over him.  But there has to be a concern about what kind of impact he will have on cap space with the long deal.  That's why we'd probably have to take back a really crappy contract, which I definitely don't want.

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 08:28:33 PM »

Offline mrpoundforpound

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
DC wants to build almost completely through the draft right now (it worked for the owner with the Caps)
Their owner is fed up of rebuilding. Fed up of losing 60 games a season.

Ted Leonsis wants to win now. He wants to Wizards in the playoffs. He has said this and he has backed it up with actions by bringing through the Ariza + Okafor trade. That was supposed to push Washington into the playoff picture. That was why they did that deal and they did it at their owner's beck and call.

I think jeff green is the final piece the wizards need to transform into a playoff team.

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 08:31:19 PM »

Offline mrpoundforpound

• Payton Pritchard
To teams who have no quality SF, he has tremendous value. It doesn't matter if he's struggling right now, he's a proven commodity, at worst maybe a 15 points, 5-6 rebounds a game guy. Teams with no legit starting 3 would love to have him.

Orlando and Washington would like to have Jeff Green, trust me. Heck if the Hawks plays Josh Smith at PF, they would like Jeff Green at the 3 spot too. Phoenix is probably another team, I think their Beasley experiment didn't work and if they can move him, and Green is available for them, they won't hesitate.

Atlanta just got rid of Williams who is the same age, similar in size and similar in stats.  Why would they want Green?

DC wants to build almost completely through the draft right now (it worked for the owner with the Caps)

Phoenix doesn't want a 9 million dollar role player.  They are always looking to be below the cap.

a.) Because Jeff Green is a much better player than Marvin Williams. Better defender than Marvin, a better offensive player.

b.) That's true, but they still don' have a legit SF. Ariza has been a disaster. If the price is right for them, I believe they would not hesitate on pulling the gun on a trade. Trust me, Commish.

c.) Jeff Green is NOT a role player. He's starter quality who right now is struggling and playing behind Paul because he's Paul Pierce. I believe he will start in Phoenix and they won't mind swallowing 9 million dollars if they can get rid of Beasley first.

Let's not forget what Jeff is capable off. He's having an off year as of now, but we saw some games where he looked like OKC Jeff Green, that's a starting SF in most teams.
I'm sorry Yoki, but Jeff Green is not significantly better than Marvin Williams.  Williams might in fact be better.

I really don't know where this notion came from that Jeff Green is this potential superstar or a great player.  He has been virtually the same player since he entered the league, which is nothing more than mediocre. 

Per 36 minute career stats

Player A - 14.9 p, 5.9 r, 1.7 a, 0.9 s, 0.6 b, 1.8 t, 2.6 f, 44.4 FG, 33.9 3PT, 77.4 FT, 108 DRTG
Player B - 13.6 p, 6.2 r, 1.6 a, 0.9 s, 0.5 b, 1.4 t, 2.7 f, 45.0 FG, 33.1 3PT, 80.6 FT, 108 DRTG

One of these players is Jeff Green, the other is Marvin Williams.  They are both 6'9" and more of a tweener as well.  In other words, they are nearly identical players.

Marvin is way overrated people still hang on to hope because he was a number 2 pick but theres no way he will live up to his contract. Jeff is way more athletic and has much higher bball iq and toughness than marvin williams which is something this team needs.

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 09:00:20 PM »

Offline mrpoundforpound

• Payton Pritchard
Here are some of the other fans assessments of JGs value.
http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=222765

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 09:22:40 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
To teams who have no quality SF, he has tremendous value. It doesn't matter if he's struggling right now, he's a proven commodity, at worst maybe a 15 points, 5-6 rebounds a game guy. Teams with no legit starting 3 would love to have him.

Orlando and Washington would like to have Jeff Green, trust me. Heck if the Hawks plays Josh Smith at PF, they would like Jeff Green at the 3 spot too. Phoenix is probably another team, I think their Beasley experiment didn't work and if they can move him, and Green is available for them, they won't hesitate.

Atlanta just got rid of Williams who is the same age, similar in size and similar in stats.  Why would they want Green?

Phoenix doesn't want a 9 million dollar role player.  They are always looking to be below the cap.

a.) Because Jeff Green is a much better player than Marvin Williams. Better defender than Marvin, a better offensive player.

b.) That's true, but they still don' have a legit SF. Ariza has been a disaster. If the price is right for them, I believe they would not hesitate on pulling the gun on a trade. Trust me, Commish.

c.) Jeff Green is NOT a role player. He's starter quality who right now is struggling and playing behind Paul because he's Paul Pierce. I believe he will start in Phoenix and they won't mind swallowing 9 million dollars if they can get rid of Beasley first.

Let's not forget what Jeff is capable off. He's having an off year as of now, but we saw some games where he looked like OKC Jeff Green, that's a starting SF in most teams.
I'm sorry Yoki, but Jeff Green is not significantly better than Marvin Williams.  Williams might in fact be better.

I really don't know where this notion came from that Jeff Green is this potential superstar or a great player.  He has been virtually the same player since he entered the league, which is nothing more than mediocre. 

Per 36 minute career stats

Player A - 14.9 p, 5.9 r, 1.7 a, 0.9 s, 0.6 b, 1.8 t, 2.6 f, 44.4 FG, 33.9 3PT, 77.4 FT, 108 DRTG
Player B - 13.6 p, 6.2 r, 1.6 a, 0.9 s, 0.5 b, 1.4 t, 2.7 f, 45.0 FG, 33.1 3PT, 80.6 FT, 108 DRTG

One of these players is Jeff Green, the other is Marvin Williams.  They are both 6'9" and more of a tweener as well.  In other words, they are nearly identical players.

Marvin is way overrated people still hang on to hope because he was a number 2 pick but theres no way he will live up to his contract. Jeff is way more athletic and has much higher bball iq and toughness than marvin williams which is something this team needs.

Based on what? 

Their numbers are almost the exact same.