Author Topic: The Suprising History Of Gun Control  (Read 4423 times)

Re: The Suprising History Of Gun Control
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2013, 05:58:55 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
If it were do easy to rid an area of armed combatants why were those two wars such failures. It is not easy to occupy a country without committing mass murder of innocent people, and are you down with that?
I guess you support equipping the general population with Molotovs, landmines, and plastic explosives. Because handguns and hunting rifles surely ain't stopping a foreign invasion. Or government oppression for that matter. This is not hthe 18th century anymore.

I do not like the idea of unarmed citizenry. You can disagree, and that is fine. I just know I am surrounded by people who own multiple firearms all the time, and I have never felt threatened.
I don't feel threatened by the people I am surrounded by. I feel threatened of the loonie next door waving an semiautomatic.

Again, why should I not be allowed to protect my private property? Why do our politicians get ARMED bodyguards, but I shouldn't be allowed to protect myself with a firearm? (Speaking directly to those who are trying to push extremely restrictive and regulations)
For starters, because politicians face increased risks by virtue of being public figures. Ask the Kennedies.

Have you ever seen a loony waving a semi-automatic?

What about celebrities? Do they face increased risks? Should no poor people have an avenue to be protected, because they really face almost no risks of getting jacked?

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2013, 06:16:03 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 505
Are you implying that just because I haven't seen one, it's not a real issue?

What about celebrities? Do they face increased risks? Should no poor people have an avenue to be protected, because they really face almost no risks of getting jacked?
I'll be all for taxing celebrities a little more, so that what would be the salary of their armed guards turns into an extra teacher in the local public school. Unfortunately, I've found folks who are against gun controls bizarelly opposed to the idea. Quite frankly, this scizophrenic stance is incomprehensible to me.
Managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2013, 06:38:47 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• Brad Stevens

I'll be all for taxing celebrities a little more, so that what would be the salary of their armed guards turns into an extra teacher in the local public school. Unfortunately, I've found folks who are against gun controls bizarelly opposed to the idea. Quite frankly, this scizophrenic stance is incomprehensible to me.

I think a much more real issue is the violence stemming from drug prohibition (which I WILL NOT GET INTO IN ANY WAY) or from rampant gang activity.

So you do not think I should have the ability to protect my family with a gun even though it takes the local sheriff AT LEAST 23 minutes to get there (last summer had a big fire that they had to rush to, and they got there quicker than I had expected). One "loony" looking to rob our place would have no resistance. Why should I have to handicap myself by using nothing more than pepper spray when Criminal McRobber will no doubt use that .40 hes had for 10 years.

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2013, 06:55:30 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Bob Cousy
  • Tommy Points: 1994

I think a much more real issue is the violence stemming from drug prohibition (which I WILL NOT GET INTO IN ANY WAY) or from rampant gang activity.

So you do not think I should have the ability to protect my family with a gun even though it takes the local sheriff AT LEAST 23 minutes to get there (last summer had a big fire that they had to rush to, and they got there quicker than I had expected). One "loony" looking to rob our place would have no resistance. Why should I have to handicap myself by using nothing more than pepper spray when Criminal McRobber will no doubt use that .40 hes had for 10 years.
Because if your gun is traceable and hence, you must give it up, if Mr. McRobber has had his gun for 10 years, chances are his gun is also traceable and he will have to turn it in as well and hence, won't be taking it with him to your home invasion. Therefore, he has no gun, your's isn't necessary for protection.
2015 CB HISTORICAL DRAFT: COMING THIS OCTOBER
FORMAT:
3 players from 1960-73
3 players from 1974-86
3 players from 1987-00
3 players from 2001-Pres
1 player from any era

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2013, 07:02:21 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 505

I don't think anything like this. But you have to understand that the situation in urban areas, where the said loony with a gun can take out scores of people in a manner of minutes, is distinctly different.

Also, when Criminal McRobber shoots you five times in the back, it's kind of irrelevant whether you're defending yourself with pepper spray, hand gun, or a toothpick. Your best bet is making sure it's quite difficult for Criminal McRobber to lay his hands on anythign that's going to blow your brains out - at least that's how I see it.
Managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2013, 11:43:04 PM »

Online D.o.s.

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 603
Mandatory fingerprint safeties on firearms. The technology is out there, so employ it and make possession of a non-registered firearm a felony.

Or perhaps a capital crime. Punishable by (law abiding)firing squad?)
And when I'm rich and meet Bob Hope
We'll shoot some golf and shoot some dope

Can't read the entire thread but cone people.

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2013, 12:07:35 PM »

Offline action781

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 273
I feel that it was much more about guaranteeing that "the people" will always have a way to fight back.
Fight back against what?

Tell you what, you get a group of your buddies together and form a militia in North Dakota. When the US government decides it wants to oppress their people you take yourself and your buds in the North Dakota militia and put them against the combined strength of the Grand Forks, Minot, and Ellsworth Air Force Bases and the Camp Ridley Army Base.

Good luck fighting back.

I agree with this and this is why I feel that the 2nd amendment needs to be amended due to how our country has evolved.  I don't have a simple yes/no opinion on whether I think there should be guns or not, but I do think that the 2nd amendment itself is outdated and should be re-amended based on the needs and realities of the current world.
.................to the
Assistant ^ General Manager for the Pawnee Pacers

Tony Parker, Courtney Lee, Rudy Gay, Zach Randolph, Marc Gasol
Jeff Teague, Paul George, Trevor Ariza, Chuck Hayes, Channing Frye
Kemba Walker, Andres Nocioni, Jason Collins

« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2013, 12:16:54 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 631
Criminal McRobber

Is this the Hamburglar's brother or Ronald McDonald's evil twin?

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2013, 12:28:31 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 305
The opportunity for possession belongs with the vast majority of the responsible and law-bidding.

If we strip away this opportunity then the minority of the irresponsible and law breaking will win.

The concentration of deadly firearms will be within the hands of evil and tyrannical.

Good people will be even more at a disadvantage position.

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2013, 12:34:34 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 352

Because if your gun is traceable and hence, you must give it up, if Mr. McRobber has had his gun for 10 years, chances are his gun is also traceable and he will have to turn it in as well and hence, won't be taking it with him to your home invasion. Therefore, he has no gun, your's isn't necessary for protection.

We can't seem to stop drugs/people from coming across the boarder illegally, but we'll do a better job on keeping guns out?

There are so many guns in this country that a registry would do little to make the scenario you speak of become reality.

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2013, 01:52:21 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• Brad Stevens

I think you are 100% wrong. I know of almost no registered weapons here in ND. Most guns are not traceable. Complain about that all you want, but that is the way it is. I can go buy a gun from a private seller and not even show them an ID, so quit living in a dream world where the now-illegal guns will simply go away.

And the criminal will have to turn his gun in? People who are criminals tend to not care about illegal weapon possession (look at all the felons with them). They will just say "boy did the value of this piece sure go up".

Your ideas are simplistic, unrealistic, and don't address the mass amounts of unregistered guns already in this country that are not going anywhere.

I know no one who is a gun owner who will give up there guns for a "gun buy back", and many wouldn't even registered if it was a legal requirement (though many would) and if you think a massive police state, essentially martial law, will work to secure firearms I do not know what to think.

You tell me how well drug prohibition has went, and I will show you exactly how well gun prohibition will work.

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2013, 01:56:01 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1907
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
That's three comments now referencing drugs, a huge no-no topic. And, the thread was about the history of gun control, not everyone's independent theories on it. Since I started the topic, I hate all of you for making me lock it.

DKC Portland Trailblazers Team Card
Questions about the DKC? Ask here: LINK
Free Agency Tracker: [http://tinyurl.com/le7qem2]Link

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsBlog Forums.

Welcome to CelticsBlog