Author Topic: What Happened to Bass  (Read 2385 times)

Re: What Happened to Bass
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 07:46:15 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
he finally reverted back to the player he was when he  couldn't get regular minutes with the mavericks and magic? last year was  more the aberration unfortunately.

This generally happens in a contract year.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 08:17:31 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Has any of the offense worked as well this year? 

Is anyone drawing a lot of double teams leaving him as open? 

Are the outside shooters really stretching the floor as well this year?

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 08:46:12 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Bass isn't that good.  He had a bump last year, whether it was a new system and new team, whether it was a contract year bump, whether it was he caught people by surprise, or some combination thereof, the Bass of this year is the player he has been throughout his career.  A solid backup PF who shouldn't be starting and shouldn't be paid like a starter.  Just more proof Ainge had a horrible off season.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 09:47:43 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Bass isn't that good.  He had a bump last year, whether it was a new system and new team, whether it was a contract year bump, whether it was he caught people by surprise, or some combination thereof, the Bass of this year is the player he has been throughout his career.  A solid backup PF who shouldn't be starting and shouldn't be paid like a starter.  Just more proof Ainge had a horrible off season.

Yeah, he is not that far off from where he was most of his career.  And honestly, he wasn't that great last year.

I am not going to say necessarily that it was a bad signing, because I still think it was a reasonable deal for a quality backup PF.  It just looks horrible, when he is your starter. 

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 11:06:41 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Two things: as pointed out already, his numbers from last year were closer to his career than the numbers for this year, on a per-minute basis; also, he isn't paid like a starter, he's paid like a top-end rotation big man, which he is.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 12:20:35 PM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
Trade Bass. Please.

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 05:59:18 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Here are Bass' per 36 minute stats from basketball reference, this year and last year:

11-12:  Points = 14.2, O-Reb = 1.8, D-Reb = 5.2, Asst = 1.1, Blck = 1.0, Stl = 0.7, TrnOvr = 1.3, Fouls = 2.6

12-13:   Points = 11.3, O-Reb = 2.2, D-Reb = 4.9, Asst = 1.0, Blck = 1.0, Stl = 0.7, TrnOvr = 1.1, Fouls = 3.6

So he is basically the same player, scoring less and fouling a lot more.

His points are the lowest he's had in 5 years, and his PER is also at its lowest in 5 years.

He is definitely playing poorly.

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 06:11:25 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Here are Bass' per 36 minute stats from basketball reference, this year and last year:

11-12:  Points = 14.2, O-Reb = 1.8, D-Reb = 5.2, Asst = 1.1, Blck = 1.0, Stl = 0.7, TrnOvr = 1.3, Fouls = 2.6

12-13:   Points = 11.3, O-Reb = 2.2, D-Reb = 4.9, Asst = 1.0, Blck = 1.0, Stl = 0.7, TrnOvr = 1.1, Fouls = 3.6

So he is basically the same player, scoring less and fouling a lot more.

His points are the lowest he's had in 5 years, and his PER is also at its lowest in 5 years.

He is definitely playing poorly.
I don't think there's a discussion whether he's playing poorly or not. The issue is that based on historical record, the poor play is  the aberration -- not the good season before this.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 06:18:15 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
He has a feeling he's going to get traded. Either its in the back of his head, or he's trying to play like crap so he doesn't.

If he's being affected psychologically, it may be more that he is concerned about losing his starting job to Sullinger and/or losing his crunch time lineup spot to Jeff Green.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference