Author Topic: Pointers for Doc - Lets help him out  (Read 2107 times)

Pointers for Doc - Lets help him out
« on: December 17, 2012, 11:55:07 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146

My displeasure for Doc rotations has been well documented thru out the years. So, I'll go to the point, without picking on Doc.

Just a couple of pointers for Doc:

1)JTerry has to be treated like EHouse.  Ride him when he is hot, bench him when he is not.

2)Depending on rule 1(see above), Your closing 5 should include: RR,PP,JG,KG,CLee.   

Feel free adding pointers.....

Re: Pointers for Doc - Lets help him out
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 01:51:24 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Don't take coaching advice from an online message board.

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 01:59:29 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
My only advice would be play Sully more. And when I say more I mean give him close to 30 minutes a game and start him. I'm done with Bass. Lets atleast put Sully's development on a fast track.

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 02:31:37 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
1. Play Fab Melo. I don't care of he's still figuring out the rotations, we NEED a shot blocking presence and at worse, he is one.

2. Slide KG back to the 4, let Fab challenge shots and get KG to position for rebounds.

3. Play Jeff Green more minutes and give him Iso plays. I've seen him do damage on Iso's. It boosts his confidence too.

4. Bring Jet and Bass back off the bench. I doesnt matter if we see a Sully/Bass frontcourt, as long as they are both coming off the bench and not playing together a lot. They are both comfortable in those roles, and thrive in those roles.

5. Call Darko, apologize to him, ask him to bring him back here.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 04:30:19 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Maybe my old high school coach has some films he can borrow

some films on  "HOW TO BOXOUT".  HOW TO REBOUND...and then     Take him to shrink , and get this stupid notion of small ball out of his head.

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 04:46:52 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
dont start Bass no more. no i aint sayin he should get Darko treatment nd get no more burn at all but he cant be our starter anymore. when he aint hittin his shot he's pretty much subpar out there. especially when he aint crashin boards lookin like a powerless forward gettin muscled on da court

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 05:08:33 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
more Barbosa!

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 05:09:57 PM »

Offline jbaerg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
players need more movement. and my god, move the freaking ball.

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 05:15:01 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Had a random thought the other day that's a little out there-

Start Chris Wilcox.

Does a few things - Adds more height and defense to the starting lineup, allows Jeff Green to check into the game as the first big off the bench.

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 05:34:53 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
Play KG and Wilcox together more.

Let Jason Terry be Jason Terry, not Ray Allen.

Give Sully more minutes, maybe even start him.

Play Rondo less minutes.

Don't have Rondo and Pierce handle the ball so much.

Post up Jeff more.

Run Pierce on the 5-5-5 plan.

Run Ray Allen plays for Lee.

Play Barbosa when the team needs energy and scoring.

Put more emphasis on rebounding.

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 05:39:22 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Start Chris Wilcox.

Does a few things - Adds more height and defense to the starting lineup, allows Jeff Green to check into the game as the first big off the bench.

How do you think Wilcox would do when Avery Bradley returns?

I thought Wilcox was the best man for the job last year when Ray Allen was still starting (instead of Bass and instead of J.O'Neal). I like Wilcox starting over Bass this year too when playing alongside Courtney Lee or Jason Terry also.

I am a bit uneasy about Wilcox and Bradley though. I am worried about the spacing offensively with those two and Rondo together. That is a lot less jump-shooting on the floor.

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 05:58:29 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
1)JTerry has to be treated like EHouse.  Ride him when he is hot, bench him when he is not.

I was thinking about how much I do not want Doc to do this when I started thinking ...

How much more is Jason Terry really giving the team than Eddie House did when he was at his best in Boston?

Terry is a limited defender and rebounder. He is not being put in positions to create offensively for himself or others. Terry is mostly being used as a spot-up shooter or catch and shoot opportunities coming off of screens. Nor is Terry really adding with his ball-handling and/or passing skills. That is a pretty similar job description to what Eddie House (in terms of role) gave the team albeit in more minutes.

In 2009 (his best year here), House averaged 8.5ppg in 18mpg on 44.5% shooting from the floor (6.9 FGA per game) and 44.4% shooting from three (4.2 3FGAs per game). A true shooting percentage of 59.2%. House also gave 1.9rpg, 1.1apg and 0.8spg.

This season, Jason Terry is playing a lot more minutes at 30.3mpg and is supplying 11.7ppg on 9.0 FGA per game on 44.9% shooting from the floor and 38% from three point range (4.7 3FGAs). A true shooting percentage of 58.8%. Terry also provides 2.3rpg, 2.5apg and 1.2spg.

There really isn't a whole lot of pluses there for Terry. Terry's scoring is down from past seasons. He is getting less field goal attempts. House played a lot less minutes and was more trigger happy on the floor. So on a per minute basis, he scored more often. In 12 minutes more per game, Terry only takes 2 more shots per game and scores an additional 3 points.

House was a much better rebounder. Similar assist and steal numbers. Similar turnover numbers. Not much difference defensively contribution wise. House took a larger proportion of his shot attempts from three point range but Terry offsets that by getting more FTAs (2.1 to 0.7 per game). Similar overall scoring efficiency.

It's not a crazy comparison.

We really aren't getting that much more out of Jason Terry than what Eddie House was giving the Celtics a few years ago. And that is bitterly disappointing.

Hopefully, Doc will increase Terry's role offensively and give him more opportunities to make his mark. Limiting Terry to mostly spot up + catch and shoot opportunities is a waste of a gifted player.

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 06:05:24 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

I was thinking about how much I do not want Doc to do this when I started thinking ...

How much more is Jason Terry really giving the team than Eddie House did when he was at his best in Boston?

Terry is a limited defender and rebounder. He is not being put in positions to create offensively for himself or others. Terry is mostly being used as a spot-up shooter or catch and shoot opportunities coming off of screens. Nor is Terry really adding with his ball-handling and/or passing skills. That is a pretty similar job description to what Eddie House (in terms of role) gave the team albeit in more minutes.

In 2009 (his best year here), House averaged 8.5ppg in 18mpg on 44.5% shooting from the floor (6.9 FGA per game) and 44.4% shooting from three (4.2 3FGAs per game). A true shooting percentage of 59.2%. House also gave 1.9rpg, 1.1apg and 0.8spg.

This season, Jason Terry is playing a lot more minutes at 30.3mpg and is supplying 11.7ppg on 9.0 FGA per game on 44.9% shooting from the floor and 38% from three point range (4.7 3FGAs). A true shooting percentage of 58.8%. Terry also provides 2.3rpg, 2.5apg and 1.2spg.

There really isn't a whole lot of pluses there for Terry. Terry's scoring is down from past seasons. He is getting less field goal attempts. House played a lot less minutes and was more trigger happy on the floor. So on a per minute basis, he scored more often. In 12 minutes more per game, Terry only takes 2 more shots per game and scores an additional 3 points.

House was a much better rebounder. Similar assist and steal numbers. Similar turnover numbers. Not much difference defensively contribution wise. House took a larger proportion of his shot attempts from three point range but Terry offsets that by getting more FTAs (2.1 to 0.7 per game). Similar overall scoring efficiency.

It's not a crazy comparison.

We really aren't getting that much more out of Jason Terry than what Eddie House was giving the Celtics a few years ago. And that is bitterly disappointing.

Hopefully, Doc will increase Terry's role offensively and give him more opportunities to make his mark. Limiting Terry to mostly spot up + catch and shoot opportunities is a waste of a gifted player.

Great analysis.  TP.

I think Doc needs to bench Rondo more.  Play him around 32-35 minutes game.  Let Terry handle the ball more, run PNR or PNP and gun.  What Doc has failed to realize is that Terry is actually a very good passer.  He is great at penetrate lay and kicking it back out, much like Rondo.  The difference is that Terry is a great shooter, so teams will cave, allowing for more open shots.

Hopefully, Doc will allow Terry to be himself, not Ray.

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 06:22:47 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Doc gave the team a lot of freedom in the preseason instead of the structured, deliberate offense that we're running right now.

The result: a scary effective offense. Our depth shone. Very active offense with a lot of movement. The offensive momentum fueled the defense and we had many streaks of great D even without KG.

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 06:41:07 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

Start Chris Wilcox.

How do you think Wilcox would do when Avery Bradley returns?

I thought Wilcox was the best man for the job last year when Ray Allen was still starting (instead of Bass and instead of J.O'Neal). I like Wilcox starting over Bass this year too when playing alongside Courtney Lee or Jason Terry also.

I am a bit uneasy about Wilcox and Bradley though. I am worried about the spacing offensively with those two and Rondo together. That is a lot less jump-shooting on the floor.

It depends. Last year I thought Avery showed to have a pretty reliable corner 3, and was pretty good from medium range. And he played with bigs certainly less offensively capable than Chris Wilcox.

But, who knows how much he'll regress after two shoulder surgeries. I thought he looked like a deer in the head's light before last season before he quietly became into pretty much the prototype for a great complimentary shooting guard. I'd hate to see him take a  bunch of steps back after playing so brilliantly last year.