Author Topic: Concern with Rondos TOs  (Read 1737 times)

Concern with Rondos TOs
« on: December 16, 2012, 01:26:32 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I am the first one to support Rondo and bash people for picking on him... But man, its hard not to say anything about this...

In 6 December games thus far, Rondo is averaging 5.2 turnovers a game! With games of 5, 5, 4, 5, 7 and 7...Yikes!

Re: Concern with Rondos TOs
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 01:44:35 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
That is definitely too high to be acceptable, even if he is averaging over 10 assists per game.  It's hard to reconcile the fact that our offense is decidedly average with the fact that we have the most prolific passer in the game. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 04:09:39 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
I am the first one to support Rondo and bash people for picking on him... But man, its hard not to say anything about this...

In 6 December games thus far, Rondo is averaging 5.2 turnovers a game! With games of 5, 5, 4, 5, 7 and 7...Yikes!
'

Yeah..Rajon is just making lazy passes right now. He obviously has the ability to do better with his passing as we have all seen it many times. The whole team is still in a funk.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 05:49:59 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
We do have a ton of turnovers, but unfortunately it comes with the territory ... the more you pass the ball, the more chances you have of turning it over, that's why most high-assist teams/players also have a higher rate of TOs. Nature of the beast, but I'll take the trade-off.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 07:39:29 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

There's definitely something not quite right with him at the moment. Probably some undisclosed injury or something.

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 08:55:54 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Just a case of forcing assists

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 09:36:48 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

This. His ratio is still fine, one of the better ratios in the league.  But Doc has to say something to him.

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 10:10:18 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

That's not it at all. He got  called for double dribble last night and he also stepped out of bounds bringing the ball up. Those plays are pretty rare for him. He's also had outlet passes intercepted which generally doesn't happen a lot.

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 11:05:16 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I hope it's not some kind of injury.  I think that even great ball handlers and distributors can go through slumps.  I think it's just a slump he's in right now.  He's not finding his rhythm on the floor currently.  Hopefully, he'll snap out of it fairly soon. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 11:07:39 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Rondo is what he is (cliche alert) but I think expectations for him get amplified because at times he makes such incredible plays or has great individual games.  He was not alone but he clearly had a weak game last night.  One game doesn’t mean we should “sell” on him any more than we should “buy” him as league MVP when he has a super game.

SA sagged off him not respecting his shot, allowing them to get to double teams quicker and generally clogged things up (this is nothing new, all well coached team exploit this).  Tony Parker dribbled where ever he wanted to all night (this also becoming too common for the man Rondo is covering), scoring, creating switches, getting the defense out of position, and then the team (not just Parker) passed well, making multiple passes until a really good shot was found.  Parker lead with 8 assists but seven SA players had 3 or more assists.  Team passing will beat individual passing every time.

If this Celtics team is going to contend, we need Rondo to play within himself by cutting down on turnovers, focusing less on personal assists (and focusing more on team assists), and to play better individual defense.  Improved shooting would be great as well but at this point, I am not expecting that.  We then need to hope and pray that Pierce and KG still have it in them to do their thing and be the heavy lifters for the team offensively and defensively.  There may be some nights where Rondo can carry the team but this will not be the formula for sustained success.

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 11:39:57 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

That's not it at all. He got  called for double dribble last night and he also stepped out of bounds bringing the ball up. Those plays are pretty rare for him. He's also had outlet passes intercepted which generally doesn't happen a lot.

Yeah I have to go with you here. Throwing the ball over his head to the other team after a great hustle play, there were a couple times he made a spin move and forgot to continue dribbling the ball. Just rare careless things, I think there is an injury that hasnt been said.

We do have a ton of turnovers, but unfortunately it comes with the territory ... the more you pass the ball, the more chances you have of turning it over, that's why most high-assist teams/players also have a higher rate of TOs. Nature of the beast, but I'll take the trade-off.

As much as a i get an understand where youre coming from, in this case Rondos problem hasnt been from passing the ball more. Its just been rare careless turnovers. In November and Octobers first game, Rondo averaged 3.2 a game. A respectable number for a guy who has the ball in his hands most of the time and is initiating the offense. But in December, Rondo has handled the ball about the same amount of time, and maybe even handled it less with Pierce or even Green bringing the ball up more often and on occasion having rondo play off the ball more than November. The spike in TOs to 5.5 a game is odd due to the fact that he hasnt really tried to force more passes or pass more.

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 12:17:01 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Rondo is what he is (cliche alert) but I think expectations for him get amplified because at times he makes such incredible plays or has great individual games.  He was not alone but he clearly had a weak game last night.  One game doesn’t mean we should “sell” on him any more than we should “buy” him as league MVP when he has a super game.

SA sagged off him not respecting his shot, allowing them to get to double teams quicker and generally clogged things up (this is nothing new, all well coached team exploit this).  Tony Parker dribbled where ever he wanted to all night (this also becoming too common for the man Rondo is covering), scoring, creating switches, getting the defense out of position, and then the team (not just Parker) passed well, making multiple passes until a really good shot was found.  Parker lead with 8 assists but seven SA players had 3 or more assists.  Team passing will beat individual passing every time.

If this Celtics team is going to contend, we need Rondo to play within himself by cutting down on turnovers, focusing less on personal assists (and focusing more on team assists), and to play better individual defense.  Improved shooting would be great as well but at this point, I am not expecting that.  We then need to hope and pray that Pierce and KG still have it in them to do their thing and be the heavy lifters for the team offensively and defensively.  There may be some nights where Rondo can carry the team but this will not be the formula for sustained success.

Yeah, I thought Tony Parker did really well defensively too. His team defense off of a Rondo was very disruptive.

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 12:18:53 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

'

Yeah..Rajon is just making lazy passes right now. He obviously has the ability to do better with his passing as we have all seen it many times. The whole team is still in a funk.

Exactly....