Author Topic: Things to take from the spurs game.  (Read 4273 times)

Re: Things to take from the spurs game.
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 04:01:39 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
They have TWO QUALITY CENTERS....WE REALLY HAVE NONE ...KG needs to be at PF ....

I feel sorry for the players ... Doc is coaching like total crap , trying to play a stupid type of ball , and the team has no CENTERS .... wut up ..day brain dade ? ???
KG is a top 4 center in the east.

KG doesnt have the lateral quickness to play PF anymore. so stop with that foolishness.

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 11:13:50 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Main thing I take  from this game is that the defense is still terrible and there has been little or no improvement through 23 games. I am sure it will get better at some point, but it is so much worse than last year it is staggering. Also, this team has zero inside presence. Finally, how long does it take to get this defense? A full pre-season and 23 games and they still look lost most nights. I am starting to think that there are players on this team that will never get it.

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 11:29:26 AM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
I am generally a huge Doc supporter, but his rotations and schemes this season have been terrible. Terry and Lee haven't been playing great, admittedly, but they haven't been given the chance to create their own shots or handle the ball at all. Sullinger's defense isn't great, but it's not terrible, and he plays well in every other facet of the game, and deserves more minutes.

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 11:58:10 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
My take aways was the Spurs game:

1)  Spurs can play big and still hit jumpers and threes.   
2)  We have trouble with teams with two bigs.   
3)  Our D is weak and can't rotate that well.   
4)  Our bench is over rated.
5)  We are old.

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 12:10:16 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Main thing I take  from this game is that the defense is still terrible and there has been little or no improvement through 23 games. I am sure it will get better at some point, but it is so much worse than last year it is staggering. Also, this team has zero inside presence. Finally, how long does it take to get this defense? A full pre-season and 23 games and they still look lost most nights. I am starting to think that there are players on this team that will never get it.

Actually, the defense wasn't much better at this point in the season last year.  Our defense was atrocious to start last season as well.  We ended up with a top ranked defense anyway due to the turnaround about mid-way through the season.

Based on recent experience, I have reason to hope that our defense will come around again.  As a matter of point, our defense has been getting better of late.  It's had its poor moments still, certainly, but we've been steadily  improving since the first few games of the year. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 12:17:21 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Too short , too old , too slow , and Coach is off on a stupid coaching tangent of smallball .   

We have no true impact players but KG and Rondo, and maybe AB when he gets back.

We need guys who can really ball.

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 12:44:29 PM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
Last night's game was basically a microcosm of the season. There was poor defensive play by the front court players outside of kg, terrible perimeter defense by the guard, and core players  under performing. With all that, too me the real problem is Docs coaching. I have always questioned Doc's status as an elite coach.  He does not adapt to the strengths of the players on his roster. This year's bench is flawed because of the lack of a quality big man, but Doc is not getting the most of the talent he has. Green, Lee, Terry,  and Barbosa are all either being misused or not used enough. They brought Terry in to be another player that could be used in the pic n roll,  but they rarely use him that way.  Instead,  they have him running off Ray Allen screens  mostly.  Barbosa may be the most versatile scorer of the bench,  but he either doesn't play or they force him to be the primary ball handler in an offense he doesn't know. Why not let Terry or Lee be the primary ball handlers when he is in, or play him more with Rondo.

Additionally,  i think the fact that doc sticks to his minute limits so strictly that it makes the team to predictable and it often times kills momentum. Based on this,  I don't know if any trade Danny makes will be effective.  The team has talent now,  but they are not being used properly. Another example of doc under utilizing a player was darko. Darko was flawed,  but he was a talented big that should have gotten more than 1 opportunity to play.  Why not try to play darko with kg instead of putting him out there with rookies and other bench players who don't know the schemes.

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 12:52:53 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
hmmmm the myth the spurs are boring is the dumbest myth in the history of sports and they're elite and the Celtics are not...and we lose games and look horrible when Lee starts...coincidence I suppose

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2012, 02:02:05 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
hmmmm the myth the spurs are boring is the dumbest myth in the history of sports and they're elite and the Celtics are not...and we lose games and look horrible when Lee starts...coincidence I suppose

How can it be a myth when its an opinion?

They are freaking boring and aren't elite. They've sucked in the playoffs since 2006. Last year they finally were able to make a "run" but in general they flex their boring muscles in the regular season but suck in the playoffs,  that's a fact.

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2012, 02:52:24 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213

How can it be a myth when its an opinion?

They are freaking boring and aren't elite. They've sucked in the playoffs since 2006. Last year they finally were able to make a "run" but in general they flex their boring muscles in the regular season but suck in the playoffs,  that's a fact.

Whether the Spurs are boring or not is an opinion.  I'm of the opinion that they're a boring team to watch.  The Spurs generated lousy TV ratings for their Finals appearances in 03 and 06, and the 05 ratings were only bolstered by a Game 7.  Their superstar is called the Big Fundamental, and that kind of player isn't going to create a lot of buzz. 

Besides being boring, the Spurs are annoying.  The ref every play, believe they've never committed a foul and react to the slightest contact like JFK's forehead in Dallas. I thoroughly enjoyed the Thunder ripping them apart in four straight last playoffs.   

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2012, 02:55:28 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
I'm going to try to remember to post next October 20th that I'm really worried we would miss the playoffs if they started today.

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2012, 03:06:35 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson

Actually, the defense wasn't much better at this point in the season last year.  Our defense was atrocious to start last season as well.  We ended up with a top ranked defense anyway due to the turnaround about mid-way through the season.

Based on recent experience, I have reason to hope that our defense will come around again.  As a matter of point, our defense has been getting better of late.  It's had its poor moments still, certainly, but we've been steadily  improving since the first few games of the year.

The defense has not been this bad since before the new, big three era began

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2012, 04:20:59 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

The defense has not been this bad since before the new, big three era began

The defensive numbers for the team that started out 15 and 17 were fairly atrocious.  They had some pretty poor defensive performances down the stretch of the 2010-2011 season as I recall.  Of course, the '08-'09 team that was missing Garnett for most of the season, wasn't great defensively either. 

This team had been playing some good d for a nice stretch up until the last two games.  If you want me to go back through the last five seasons and find a few sequences of two game stretches where the defensive numbers were as poor or worse than for the two games that we just completed, I'm sure I could. 

My point here is that two games of poor defensive is hard to classify as a significant trend.  It'll get better.  It always does. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2012, 04:52:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Our guys bodies no longer obey their minds, it happens to all old guys at some point.

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2012, 05:18:25 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
Nickagneta has a great post about how poor the defense has been this year as compared to previous Celtics teams in the past 5 years: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=61084.0