Author Topic: Things to take from the spurs game.  (Read 4270 times)

Things to take from the spurs game.
« on: December 15, 2012, 10:58:56 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
I'm not going to post an apocalyptic style blow-it-up thread for a change, and just present some of the issues i saw with today's game.

1. Our guard defense is still poor.

Not enough effort being put in by rondo and co. to fight through screens and stay on their man.

2. Guys got caught ball-watching.

Bass was the main culprit of this. He let splitter sneak baseline several times. Terry also lost his man and gave up open threes. Sullinger was also guilty of this a couple of times in the small amount of minutes he played.

3. Lack of rebounding.

You cant give up second looks to a team like that. They will skin you alive on threes with second opportunities. The decision to bench sullinger when he was doing such a good job rebounding was an odd one, despite sully struggling with issue #2.

4. Green never gets helped out offensively.

Set green a pick for once. Why is Jeff Green's only play a post up or an iso? This guy can finish at the rim and is quick. Why not give him some separation with a pick?

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

Re: Things to take from the spurs game.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 11:02:11 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
also Courtney Lee plays betta nd more aggressive without rondo for wateva reason idk

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 11:04:57 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
They have TWO QUALITY CENTERS....WE REALLY HAVE NONE ...KG needs to be at PF ....

I feel sorry for the players ... Doc is coaching like total crap , trying to play a stupid type of ball , and the team has no CENTERS .... wut up ..day brain dade ? ???

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 11:12:40 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I think the main reason is they get into the lane easy. It creates havoc, wether its a kick out jumper or a layup. No shot blocking presence, no big body to cover up the paint. The offense in the 4th was alright, just couldn't make shots, but that's alright. Problem is, everyone can get to the lane easy. Everyone is towering over us, they get extra possessions because of it. I mean, De Colo got an offensive rebound because WE HAVE PIERCE AT 4. C'mon now.

We really need a Center bad. Either play Fab already or make a move.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 11:18:19 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
also Courtney Lee plays betta nd more aggressive without rondo for wateva reason idk

I don't think the reason is that obscure.  When Rondo's out, Courtney gets to touch the ball a lot more consistently.  He's like most players who play better when they can get into rhythm by being involved more.

When Rondo's out, Courtney actually gets to bring up the ball occasionally.  He actually has the freedom to make a few dribbles up the court without having to see if Rondo's chasing him down for the ball.  When Rondo's out, Lee actually gets passes thrown ahead to him where he can use his athleticism around the rim against a retreating defense.

The thing that bothers me most about Rondo is his refusal to pass the ball ahead.  Not only do the Celtics have a poor fastbreak, they have by far the worst secondary break.  You can't secondary break if the first pass comes at the 12 second mark or less a great deal of the time.  This is not high school or college.  If NBA players have space in front of them and the defense isn't set, they are incredibly dangerous and more effective.  Rondo will not allow it. 

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 11:31:01 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Lee had a transition layup against the Spurs that absolutely would not have happened if Rondo had been on the court.  Instead of KG passing the ball up ahead to him, KG would have automatically passed it to Rondo who would have dribbled it up the court and Courtney's transition effort would have been wasted.  Why can't the Celtics be like every other team and just freaking move the ball up the court any way possible?  All the good teams do it.  It's not only more effective but it's much more interesting to watch.  There is nothing interesting with watching one guy dribble up the court over and over again to set up a half court offense. 

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 12:01:28 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
One thing that has bothered me all season is that when guys like Lee, Green, and Terry get the rebound, they always look to pass it to Rondo.  I get that he's great at pushing the ball, but didn't we bring these guys in so Rajon didn't have to handle the ball all the time?  Why don't they take. It the length of the court and make a play?  It's really annoying.

Another issue is our perimeter D.  I think everyone can agree that we give up far too many open threes, as well as drives to the rim.  I'm not sure if this is a lack of discipline, or the guys are still learning.   Bradley should help with this.

Rebounding will never improve until we get another big.  It's that simple.

I've been trying my best to stay off the Varejao, Gortat, and Josh Smith bandwagons because I don't think they're a good fit, but as of now I'm beginning to think they are a necessity.

Overall, this team is mediocre.  I've been very positive throughout the season so far, but the team's lack of progress is very frustrating.  This is not to say I've given up, but rather that I think there needs to be a change.

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 12:26:26 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Live by the jump shot, die by the jump shot.

It would be nice to have a big with a half decent post up game to throw the ball to when no jumpers are dropping in.

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 01:33:32 AM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
Here is what to take from the Spurs game: We would miss the playoffs if they started today. That is right, we are in the lottery. We are six games out of first already. This team is mediocre in every facet of the game and frankly looks like they have already given up. That is what to take from the Spurs game.

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 01:42:21 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
Here is what to take from the Spurs game: We would miss the playoffs if they started today. That is right, we are in the lottery. We are six games out of first already. This team is mediocre in every facet of the game and frankly looks like they have already given up. That is what to take from the Spurs game.

Yeah I was actually looking for legitimate fan analysis, not some sort of generalized panic mongering that sounds like it's been recited from ESPN first take.

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 01:53:09 AM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110

Yeah I was actually looking for legitimate fan analysis, not some sort of generalized panic mongering that sounds like it's been recited from ESPN first take.

How am I panic mongering? The team is barely over .500, would miss the playoffs if they began today and has looked listless and mediocre all season which is now a quarter over. Why don't you face facts and stop living in Delusional Fan Land? My analysis is legitimate. The facts and our record bear it out.

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 03:13:14 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

How am I panic mongering? The team is barely over .500, would miss the playoffs if they began today and has looked listless and mediocre all season which is now a quarter over. Why don't you face facts and stop living in Delusional Fan Land? My analysis is legitimate. The facts and our record bear it out.

It's not really analysis to just state the team's record and then angrily rant about it.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 03:21:32 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen

That's exactly my point. There is no analysis there. We all know the standings. Pointing out that the team isn't playing well because they're near .500 on the standings is stating the obvious.

I want to know what you guys think about why we're near .500. Thats all.

And I am in no way delusional about how we're playing. That said, every new game is an opportunity to get a win and get better. Dwelling on previous poor play is pointless unless you're learning something from it.

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 03:21:46 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

Good thing there is still another 60 games then

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 03:55:37 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
How am I panic mongering? The team is barely over .500

How amusing. Fifth placed Brooklyn is 1.0 game ahead of this team, so, they are also barely over .500.

would miss the playoffs if they began today

Playoffs are beginning four full months later.

Why don't you face facts and stop living in Delusional Fan Land?

Because we are fans. Fans support their team. They don't scream "Blow this up!" after mediocre periods of basketball. Fanship exactly requires that.

My analysis is legitimate. The facts and our record bear it out.

Analysis? Anyone with little reading and math skills is capable of looking at the standings, see we are just a tad above .500, and can also say we are out of playoff picture as of now.
I don't want to sound rude, but this is hardly an analysis of basketball.