Author Topic: Things to take from the spurs game.  (Read 4271 times)

Re: Things to take from the spurs game.
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2012, 05:31:03 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Nickagneta has a great post about how poor the defense has been this year as compared to previous Celtics teams in the past 5 years: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=61084.0

right, but that is taking into account the WHOLE season...I think he is referring to 50% of last season where we played below .500 ball

our defensive numbers ended up being good because we ended up posting SCARY defensive numbers when Bradley began to start.

and that is what I take away from the spurs game...we are SORELY missing thsi guy:

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2012, 05:45:35 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
One thing that has bothered me all season is that when guys like Lee, Green, and Terry get the rebound, they always look to pass it to Rondo.  I get that he's great at pushing the ball, but didn't we bring these guys in so Rajon didn't have to handle the ball all the time?  Why don't they take. It the length of the court and make a play?  It's really annoying.

Another issue is our perimeter D.  I think everyone can agree that we give up far too many open threes, as well as drives to the rim.  I'm not sure if this is a lack of discipline, or the guys are still learning.   Bradley should help with this.

Rebounding will never improve until we get another big.  It's that simple.

I've been trying my best to stay off the Varejao, Gortat, and Josh Smith bandwagons because I don't think they're a good fit, but as of now I'm beginning to think they are a necessity.

Overall, this team is mediocre.  I've been very positive throughout the season so far, but the team's lack of progress is very frustrating.  This is not to say I've given up, but rather that I think there needs to be a change.
exactly how i feel i was more optimistic but a slight roster shake up gotta be made

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2012, 05:46:15 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Main thing I take  from this game is that the defense is still terrible and there has been little or no improvement through 23 games. I am sure it will get better at some point, but it is so much worse than last year it is staggering. Also, this team has zero inside presence. Finally, how long does it take to get this defense? A full pre-season and 23 games and they still look lost most nights. I am starting to think that there are players on this team that will never get it.

Actually, the defense wasn't much better at this point in the season last year.  Our defense was atrocious to start last season as well.  We ended up with a top ranked defense anyway due to the turnaround about mid-way through the season.

Based on recent experience, I have reason to hope that our defense will come around again.  As a matter of point, our defense has been getting better of late.  It's had its poor moments still, certainly, but we've been steadily  improving since the first few games of the year.

The defense has not been this bad since before the new, big three era began

I'll bet it was worse at the beginning of last year than it is now. And even this year it's been improving significantly over time. While the last few games haven't been great, a few weeks ago we were near the bottom of the league, now we're around top 10. We've probably been a top 2-3 defense over the time that we improved so drastically. Again, we've had a bad game or two, but aside from that the "our defense is terrible" posts missed the boat.

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2012, 05:54:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
3. Lack of rebounding.

You cant give up second looks to a team like that. They will skin you alive on threes with second opportunities. The decision to bench sullinger when he was doing such a good job rebounding was an odd one, despite sully struggling with issue #2.

11 offensive rebounds in a game like that isn't a lot.

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2012, 06:19:13 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145

It is when the team shoots 47%. 

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2012, 06:19:33 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
3. Lack of rebounding.

You cant give up second looks to a team like that. They will skin you alive on threes with second opportunities. The decision to bench sullinger when he was doing such a good job rebounding was an odd one, despite sully struggling with issue #2.

At one point in the second half (late third or early fourth), the Spurs had 10 offensive rebounds against 20 defensive rebounds for the Celtics. They were pulling down a third of their misses. A large number.   

It wasn't until the fourth quarter after San Antonio had already built their 10-11 point lead that Boston started to even up the rebounding numbers.

I think the final box score made it look better than it was for Boston. The Celtics were chasing the game late on and out-rebounded SAS by 6 in final period ... but they never really threatened the Spurs in that final period. The damage was already done. The Celtics fourth quarter rebounding didn't carry much meaning.

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

It is when the team shoots 47%.

First of all, it really isn't. And it's not the shooting percentage that matters, it's the number of missed shots.

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2012, 12:09:45 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Nickagneta has a great post about how poor the defense has been this year as compared to previous Celtics teams in the past 5 years: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=61084.0

I've read Nick's post.  I even responded to it.  As I've already stated, the last two games weren't good defensively, but in the six games prior to that the team showed significant improvement, playing like a top defensive team in the league.

I will agree that there seems to be a problem with defensive consistency right now, but they've proven that they can still do it, and I expect the defensive consistency to come with this squad.

Who knows?  Maybe, I'm just a foolish optimist.  We'll see.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2012, 01:50:41 AM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
3. Lack of rebounding.

At one point in the second half (late third or early fourth), the Spurs had 10 offensive rebounds against 20 defensive rebounds for the Celtics. They were pulling down a third of their misses. A large number.   

It wasn't until the fourth quarter after San Antonio had already built their 10-11 point lead that Boston started to even up the rebounding numbers.

I think the final box score made it look better than it was for Boston. The Celtics were chasing the game late on and out-rebounded SAS by 6 in final period ... but they never really threatened the Spurs in that final period. The damage was already done. The Celtics fourth quarter rebounding didn't carry much meaning.

IIRC, Terry hoisted up a three down 6 almost halfway through the 4th. He missed, SAS (Parker?) hit a three, Terry missed another, and the lead ballooned from there.

The game was well within reach, and had Terry nailed that open three, the final minutes of the game could have been very different. In what could have been a 3 point game turned into an 11 point game in about 30 seconds. C's basically folded from there.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2012, 04:02:12 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
3. Lack of rebounding.

IIRC, Terry hoisted up a three down 6 almost halfway through the 4th. He missed, SAS (Parker?) hit a three, Terry missed another, and the lead ballooned from there.

The game was well within reach, and had Terry nailed that open three, the final minutes of the game could have been very different. In what could have been a 3 point game turned into an 11 point game in about 30 seconds. C's basically folded from there.

I don't think we played well enough to have any business winning that game.

We do have the team to beat them though.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?