Author Topic: Its time to trade Pierce. A deal with GS  (Read 7909 times)

Re: Its time to trade Pierce. A deal with GS
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2012, 06:50:46 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I would be open to trading Pierce, but I'd like more than that.

Agreed. Sadly I think most of the teams it would make sense to trade PP to are those that Wyc and the Cs just wouldn't sign off on, partly out of respect for him, but also in part due the perception of insecurity it would create in the marketplace for top FAs considering signing in Boston.

Teams like the Bucks, Kings and Blazers.....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2012, 05:46:35 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
[quote author=triboy16f
so either a trade you can't refuse or retire him as a celtic, let him do iso's until he is close to 40 and impede on other players progress to come through in stressful situations?
[/quote]

Pierce is struggling from the field overall, but he's still shooting a decent rate from three (35%) and from the line (82%). 

He is currently ranked 9th in the league in scoring at 19.7 PPG despite his age and the fact that he is playing less minutes than anybody else in the top 10.

You suggest he is so bad an offensive liability that he needs to be traded, yet his numbers (19.7 PPG, 41% FG, 35% 3PT, 82% FT, 34 Min) are essentially identical to what Russel Westbrook is putting up on OKC (20.8 PPG, 42% FG, 36% 3PT, 77% FT, 36 Min).  If you were in charge of OKC, would you trade out Westbrook for that same terrible return of players you suggested earlier?

Yes I know Westbrook has more potential and his overall production (assists + rebounds) is higher, but Pierce remains one of the better rebounding and passing players in the league at the SF position.

Not by any means saying Pierce is as valuable as Westbrook at this point in his career, but he is closer to Westbrook then he is to the scrubs mentioned in this thread.  Why trade for young scrubs who won't give us anything useful for another two years?  In two years Pierce will retire and his 15M contract will come off the books, allowing us to sign somebody FAR better then anybody mentioned on this trade idea.

The Milwalkee trade is a FAR more promising one - both are young guys provide consistent talent right now, and both have strong upside.  Sanders + Mbah a Moute are both strong defensive players who could contribute significantly right away, and still have potential to improve later.  They wouldnt come close to making up for what we lose with Pierce offensively, but they'd make up for that a lot with their defense.  Given that our defense is a bigger problem then our offense right now, I'd probably listen to the deal at the very least...but I doubt the Bucks would be interested.

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2012, 06:09:17 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If there were a time to trade Paul Pierce, it would be in June 2013 to a team that wants to save money by trading salary and then waiving PP before his final year becomes fully guaranteed.

A similar trade would be how New Orleans jettisoned Ariza and Okafor for a second round pick and Rashard Lewis, who they then waived, saving about $9 million.  For the Celtics to make that sort of deal, Pierce would probably have to degrade to the point where it is accepted that he's not good enough to be in there at the end of games, and he's not there yet.  Or, another team has to think that saving $10m is better than receiving a good lottery pick as a return for trading a star-quality player.

So, the most likely Pierce trade scenario I can imagine is one where he suffers a career-ending injury, but does the Celtics one last service by waiting until the team can use his contract in a trade before he retires.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2012, 06:23:50 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
I agree with some others here that Pierce should retire wearing green. Cs need to look after their own when they are deserving of it. KG also needs to retire in green.

It would also do Pierce's body good for Jeff Green to start in the front court. Coming off the bench would save his legs and help him to be sharper when he's needed in crunch time.

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2012, 01:54:25 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Pierce is actually worth a lot this year and next. He's on a massive deal and it's expiring at the end of next season. He's also still a very effective player despite what some completely blind CBers are writing these days.

The problem with trading Pierce is that he can more-or-less decide where he plays by threatening retirement.

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2012, 02:35:58 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Pierce is actually worth a lot this year and next. He's on a massive deal and it's expiring at the end of next season. He's also still a very effective player despite what some completely blind CBers are writing these days.

The problem with trading Pierce is that he can more-or-less decide where he plays by threatening retirement.

I want to keep Pierce, and I think he can still be quite valuable without impeding the team's chances. He needs to play fewer minutes, and we should probably be playing Green more anyway, so he gets in a better flow. I still think we need Pierce to win a title, but we can't be playing him close to 40 minutes a game.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2012, 03:33:13 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Absolutely grotesque trade that isn't even close to what it would take to get me to move Pierce, evoking memories of the nonsense Col. Pitino invoked whenever he made water-treading and negative moves like this.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2012, 03:55:51 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
At this point the Warriors are high on Draymond Green, I can honestly say they'd trade Barnes first before him.

Either way, that's a bad trade. Beans has turned into an overpaid bench warmer. Ezeli is a solid backup, nothing else. Draymond is a going to be a good player and might start for some teams. But COurtney Lee, 1st rounder and Paul for these bunch, c'mon now.

I'd love it for my hometown Warriors actually, kind of torn here for a bit.  ;D
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2012, 04:26:51 PM »

Offline CantBeRight

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Not 1...not 2...not 3...not 4...BUT 17
Paul's one of the greatest Celtics ever...
Why do so many people want to trade him?
For everything he's done for the franchise, he should at least be allowed to retire here.
Celtics fan in Houston.

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2012, 05:19:09 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Paul's one of the greatest Celtics ever...
Why do so many people want to trade him?
For everything he's done for the franchise, he should at least be allowed to retire here.

Age old debate. Ainge has always said he won't go that road with declining players. And Paul has not looked good lately.

I think if the Cs could trade him somewhere he could win AND get pieces out of that would improve the current team, they'd give it a little thought. The Clippers are a team that comes to mind.... 
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2012, 05:26:36 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Unless we're all but eliminated from the playoffs and we're getting Harrison Barnes, Ezeli, and a pick in return, absolutely not.

In other words -- no, this is never going to happen.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2012, 05:44:40 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
yeah I was  expecting some bizarre trade proposal that netted us curry and David Lee and was prepared to say dream on why would golden state do that...and then its completely odd in the other way...why in God's name would WE do this trade....no way

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2012, 07:22:06 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Paul Pierce:
Career High stats - taking his highest yearly marks in all categories throughout his career:

Career Highs
Points Rebounds   Assists  Steals  FG%   Next Closest
26.8   7.3        5.1      2.1     .497  (.471 & .464)

Career Averages
22.0   6.0

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2012, 07:23:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
At this point the Warriors are high on Draymond Green, I can honestly say they'd trade Barnes first before him.

Either way, that's a bad trade. Beans has turned into an overpaid bench warmer. Ezeli is a solid backup, nothing else. Draymond is a going to be a good player and might start for some teams. But COurtney Lee, 1st rounder and Paul for these bunch, c'mon now.

I'd love it for my hometown Warriors actually, kind of torn here for a bit.  ;D

This guy knows what he is talking about. Because he actually watches the warriors. D Green is the best rookie this year , nobody knows about. The guy is beyond mature and a leader. Only 22. I wish the warriors play the celtics tonight so you can see. Motor is constantly running and never looks gassed out there. Its a quality of a star player. Not saying he is or will be a big star , but has one key attribute they got.

Pierce used to have this motor. But not anymore, due to his age and dealing with a string of injuries. I want him get that motor back, but you know its impossible. If he gets traded to a more talented team his lack of motor is not as a big deal, or because its in a new atmosphere, he might feel re energized. For us, we get better by getting younger, more stamina, more energy that the team can feed off. At this stage, without pierce we could survive without sukking alot more.

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2012, 07:28:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Unless we're all but eliminated from the playoffs and we're getting Harrison Barnes, Ezeli, and a pick in return, absolutely not.

In other words -- no, this is never going to happen.

being a fanatic of Barnes imo is crazy. Kid is def a talent. He has a body like Lebron James. And skills too. But he has Jeff Green soft personality and passive qualities. This somehow won't radically change one day.