Author Topic: US Constitution / Gun Law Talk (Merged Threads)  (Read 25063 times)

Re: US Constitution / Gun Law Talk (Merged Threads)
« Reply #210 on: January 21, 2013, 01:37:23 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 5172
Stop the bullying because each day that happens it adds fuel to the fire of "courage" for the mentally/emotionally unstable to do something about it.

Love the idea, don't see how it's possible. Two biggest issues: 1) Ratio of teachers to students is getting smaller not bigger. When you leave kids unattended, they revert back to their default sociopathic tendencies. They wrote a book about it, called 'Lord of the Flies'. 2) Social media means kids never get disconnect from each other. Constant contact without someone remindjng them not to be terrible to each other=more opportunities for bullying.
Yeah but does bullying really lead to this.  I mean were the Aurora and Sandy Hook incidents related at all to some sort of bullying.  I know Columbine had bullying as an underlying theme and probably some others have, but I suspect a lot of sociopaths that would kill people, were not bullied.

Then there is also what is the line between bullying and normal child interaction.  That line is pretty darn hard to draw.
There is also the line that has to be drawn about what constitutes bullying when dealing with a sociopath or psychopath. What normal people consider talking to a person a sociopath or psychopath might see completely differently because they are so out of touch with reality.

« Reply #211 on: January 21, 2013, 01:39:32 PM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 352

Whilst I understand your point, I dont think you can put a price tag on saving people's lives.

We as a society do that often, though. The EPA puts the value of a (statistical) life at $7.4M.
http://yosemite.epa.gov/ee/epa/eed.nsf/pages/MortalityRiskValuation.html#whatisvsl
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #212 on: April 12, 2013, 11:14:36 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2305
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
So I had an interesting couple of weeks vis a vis (is that even how you spell that? Man I'm dumb..) gun control and myself.

I recently became a gun owner, a single barrel 12 gauge for hunting purposes, and that led me to think about my squirrel problem. We have a LOT of squirrels around my property, and we also have rabbits, and vegetable gardens. The three tend to co-mingle, to my disappointment.

So I decided I was going to buy an air-rifle. I was looking at different models, and found one I liked, that fired special Bbs at around 1200 fps (max). It was said to be able to take down a ground hog with a single head shot, and at $84 seemed ideal.

But I thought, 'I think it's legal to own and fire this within city limits..but I don't know for certain.'

So I called my village office. They had no idea, and referred me towards the DEC (for the potential dead squirrels), and the sheriffs (for the actual gun).

Skipped the DEC, and went right for the sheriff. Sheriff refers me to a Sergeant who specializes in these types of questions. His answer:

"Honestly, and im not telling you that you can or cannot own the air rifle or fire it within city limits, I have no idea. With gun laws in flux, I'm having a really hard time figuring out what does and doesn't qualify as a legal firearm; so basically I'm going to say I honestly don't know. I think it's legal, but you can get charged with menacing with a weapon if you're pointing it at person just like with a real gun. And if people complain, they'll send a car out. But if you're just going to use it for target practice or pest control, and you do it responsibly, how am I supposed to know about it, you know?"

I thanked him sincerely for his honesty, but I still have no idea if I can shoot an air rifle in my backyard (as long as its not pointed at anyone).

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #213 on: April 12, 2013, 11:20:31 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 382
  • Jeff Green
So I had an interesting couple of weeks vis a vis (is that even how you spell that? Man I'm dumb..) gun control and myself.

I recently became a gun owner, a single barrel 12 gauge for hunting purposes, and that led me to think about my squirrel problem. We have a LOT of squirrels around my property, and we also have rabbits, and vegetable gardens. The three tend to co-mingle, to my disappointment.

So I decided I was going to buy an air-rifle. I was looking at different models, and found one I liked, that fired special Bbs at around 1200 fps (max). It was said to be able to take down a ground hog with a single head shot, and at $84 seemed ideal.

But I thought, 'I think it's legal to own and fire this within city limits..but I don't know for certain.'

So I called my village office. They had no idea, and referred me towards the DEC (for the potential dead squirrels), and the sheriffs (for the actual gun).

Skipped the DEC, and went right for the sheriff. Sheriff refers me to a Sergeant who specializes in these types of questions. His answer:

"Honestly, and im not telling you that you can or cannot own the air rifle or fire it within city limits, I have no idea. With gun laws in flux, I'm having a really hard time figuring out what does and doesn't qualify as a legal firearm; so basically I'm going to say I honestly don't know. I think it's legal, but you can get charged with menacing with a weapon if you're pointing it at person just like with a real gun. And if people complain, they'll send a car out. But if you're just going to use it for target practice or pest control, and you do it responsibly, how am I supposed to know about it, you know?"

I thanked him sincerely for his honesty, but I still have no idea if I can shoot an air rifle in my backyard (as long as its not pointed at anyone).

I find it rather sad that a person in authority doesn't even know the answer. Strange times in the USofA...

Interesting story though!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #214 on: April 12, 2013, 11:30:12 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3618
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Time to push for a new sheriff ... the secretary's assistant at my town's police department knows all the gun laws ... seriously. This guy is just screaming ignorance.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *