Author Topic: US Constitution / Gun Law Talk (Merged Threads)  (Read 25121 times)

Re: US Constitution / Gun Law Talk (Merged Threads)
« Reply #165 on: January 16, 2013, 09:18:52 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2305
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Anyone seen this bit of "news" as reported by Anne Coulter on Sean Hannity's Fox program:

Ann Coulter is insisting that guns don’t kill people, non-white people kill people.

The conservative columnist on Monday told Fox News host Sean Hannity that the country had a “demographic problem” because “white populations” in the U.S. and Belgium had the same low murder rate.

“As you know, I just got back from England,” Coulter explained. “On the gun crimes, we keep hearing how low they are in Europe and, ‘Oh, they’re so low and they have no guns.’ If you compare white populations, we have the same murder rate as Belgium.”

“So, perhaps, it’s not a gun problem, it is a demographic problem, which liberals are the one are pushing, pushing, pushing, ‘Let’s add more [African-American mass murderer] Colin Fergusons and more whoever the [Muslim] guy was who shot up Fort Hood.’ Why are they coming in to begin with?”

“It’s when you have a home invasion that you need a large-capacity magazine, especially if you are a female who isn’t constantly at the gun range,” she opined.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/01/15/coulter-not-a-gun-problem-u-s-has-demographic-problem-with-non-whites/

She can really be way way out there at times but Fox allowing her overt racial remark there is astonishing even for them.

Yeah, usually their race-baiting is much more subtle. Anne Coulter must be getting insecure.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:32:30 AM by IndeedProceed »

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #166 on: January 16, 2013, 09:25:35 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2390
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Anyone seen this bit of "news" as reported by Anne Coulter on Sean Hannity's Fox program:

Ann Coulter is insisting that guns don’t kill people, non-white people kill people.

The conservative columnist on Monday told Fox News host Sean Hannity that the country had a “demographic problem” because “white populations” in the U.S. and Belgium had the same low murder rate.

“As you know, I just got back from England,” Coulter explained. “On the gun crimes, we keep hearing how low they are in Europe and, ‘Oh, they’re so low and they have no guns.’ If you compare white populations, we have the same murder rate as Belgium.”

“So, perhaps, it’s not a gun problem, it is a demographic problem, which liberals are the one are pushing, pushing, pushing, ‘Let’s add more [African-American mass murderer] Colin Fergusons and more whoever the [Muslim] guy was who shot up Fort Hood.’ Why are they coming in to begin with?”

“It’s when you have a home invasion that you need a large-capacity magazine, especially if you are a female who isn’t constantly at the gun range,” she opined.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/01/15/coulter-not-a-gun-problem-u-s-has-demographic-problem-with-non-whites/

She can really be way way out there at times but Fox allowing her overt racial remark there is astonishing even for them.

Yeah, usually their race-baiting is much more subtle. Anne Coulter must be getting insecure.

A lot of pundits are basically just professional trolls, and Coulter's one of the more obvious ones.  I think very little of it is sincere.  Whether that makes it more or less despicable is a judgment call.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:33:32 AM by IndeedProceed »

« Reply #167 on: January 16, 2013, 09:34:39 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
On a somewhat different note, there are Sandy Hook truthers now.  I'm not going to link to anything because screw those guys, but they generally seem to believe either that the attack was completely staged by actors, or that the kids were killed but by a US or Israeli commando squad.

I probably shouldn't, but in some ways I find this more offensive than the original killings themselves.

« Reply #168 on: January 16, 2013, 09:35:00 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27964
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
I can't stand Anne Coulter.  There's a serious conversation to be had about demographics as related to crime statistics.  Rather than attempt to have that conversation, Coulter just resorts to blatant racism.

For instance, if the murder rate between non-gang members in Belgium is the same as non-gang members in the U.S., that tells us something.  If most gun violence is coming out of poor urban areas, that tells us something.  Suggesting that "non-white" is the only important factor is just shorthand, lazy, racism.

In Coulter's case, she's probably trying to sell books.  The sad thing is, this will probably up her sales.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #169 on: January 16, 2013, 09:35:58 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
On a somewhat different note, there are Sandy Hook truthers now.  I'm not going to link to anything because screw those guys, but they generally seem to believe either that the attack was completely staged by actors, or that the kids were killed but by a US or Israeli commando squad.

I probably shouldn't, but in some ways I find this more offensive than the original killings themselves.

Yeah, I read a story about how one of the witnesses who helped out students in the aftermath is being hounded by the truthers, harassing him about why he's involved in the cover-up.

Sickening.

« Reply #170 on: January 16, 2013, 09:40:20 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

My sister in law put one for those videos up on facebook with a, "Does anyone know if any of this is true? If so, WOW!"

I defriended her.

« Reply #171 on: January 16, 2013, 09:43:19 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

My sister in law put one for those videos up on facebook with a, "Does anyone know if any of this is true? If so, WOW!"

I defriended her.

People are just ridiculously stupid.

It's why I get on Ron Paul's case for going on Alex Jones' show.  When you legitimize craziness, you're part of the problem.

« Reply #172 on: January 16, 2013, 10:39:29 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 313

I defriended her.

People are just ridiculously stupid.

It's why I get on Ron Paul's case for going on Alex Jones' show.  When you legitimize craziness, you're part of the problem.

There are different kinds of crazy...the loud and out in the open kind of crazy is infinitely less harmful than the quiet, concealed crazy.

« Reply #173 on: January 16, 2013, 10:40:33 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 815

Good read
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #174 on: January 16, 2013, 10:59:48 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett

Good read

I don't disagree with the gist of what he's saying, but I disagree strongly with the implication that he (and not the court system) gets to decide what is and is not an infringement of Constitutional rights.  If the courts find a new law or regulation unconstitutional, then this guy doesn't have to do anything to stop them.  If they find them constitutional, then saying "Nope, I still think they're unconstitutional, not enforcing them" is a pretty major breach of his duties as law enforcement.

Too many people seem to want to appoint themselves as arbiters of Constitutionality these days.

« Reply #175 on: January 16, 2013, 11:03:39 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 993
  • What a Pub Should Be

Good read

Idiot.

So someone whose job is to "uphold the law" is now gonna to pick & choose what laws to uphold depending on whether or not he agrees with the law?

Yeah, a real gem of a public official.  ::)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #176 on: January 16, 2013, 11:06:39 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• Frank Ramsey

Good read

Idiot.

So someone whose job is to "uphold the law" is now gonna to pick & choose what laws to uphold depending on whether or not he agrees with the law?

Honest question, if a law is passed that contradicts the rights granted to us in the constituion is it legal?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #177 on: January 16, 2013, 11:10:06 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 993
  • What a Pub Should Be

Good read

Idiot.

Honest question, if a law is passed that contradicts the rights granted to us in the constituion is it legal?

What's the contradiction?  What has been ruled unconstitional here besides what this sheriff is claiming to be unconstituional in his own eyes?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #178 on: January 16, 2013, 11:13:45 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• Frank Ramsey

Good read

Idiot.

What's the contradiction?  What has been ruled unconstitional here besides what this sheriff is claiming to be unconstituional in his own eyes?
Nothing yet, they havent passed any laws yet, I was just curious

« Reply #179 on: January 16, 2013, 11:26:06 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Good read

Idiot.

Nothing yet, they havent passed any laws yet, I was just curious

If a law is upheld by the Supreme Court, it is constitutionally valid, right? So, if a law is passed that some people think is unconstitutional, and they challenge it in the Supreme Court, and the SC upholds the law, isn't it be default constitutional?