Author Topic: Sorry, but Pierce has gotten old.  (Read 13553 times)

Re: Sorry, but Pierce has gotten old.
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2012, 10:12:04 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
not many players can do wat Pierce did tonight amazing game even tho "he looks old" he's still top 10 in da league in scorin swear yall are takin him for granted

« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2012, 10:17:24 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538
not many players can do wat Pierce did tonight amazing game even tho "he looks old" he's still top 10 in da league in scorin swear yall are takin him for granted

they are. him and KG can still play and start. heck they can play even longer coming off the bench in later years believe it or not if they would want to do that .
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2012, 10:28:37 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton

they are. him and KG can still play and start. heck they can play even longer coming off the bench in later years believe it or not if they would want to do that .
both of them are still top 5 at their position at their age but u couldnt tell lookin at da forums sometimes lol

« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2012, 10:41:18 PM »

Offline rav123

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
LOL @ thread. I wonder if he read this thread and it was the reason he was fired up to hang 40 (in 16 shots!) on the Cavs.

The team was always going to struggle initially - we've lost Ray, a big part of the team, and we've not dealt with it. Celtics are still running too many Ray sets even though JET isn't compatible. Haven't the starts to the past couple of seasons been poor too?

I think though that we have to give a long look at starting Jeff Green.

This isn't going to solve our problems one bit. If you look at Green's per36 stats, they've changed little in the 4 years he's been in the league. I really don't see why so many think there's some hidden potential there. He's just another mediocre tweener.

them much more viable contenders.Yes, just to expand on the point a little bit -- take a look at all of the top teams in the league.  What do they have in common?

Top scoring options:

OKC - Durant / Westbrook
Miami - LeBron / Wade
NY - Melo
SA - Parker

Those are the top two tiers of teams in the league so far this season.

Every last one of them depends on top scoring options who are, at most, 30-32 years old.  In most cases one of their primary options is 27-29.

Imagine San Antonio's relief that Duncan (scoring a point a game less than Parker) isn't considered one of their top scoring options.

Yeah, he/she cherry-picked that one out his butt. Though to be fair, the point stands as the other examples are legit.

« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2012, 10:50:02 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Great statement game by the Captain tonight.  The guy is obviously still an elite player. 

That was just stunning.  Stunning!  40 points on 16 field goal attempts, wow!  Not to mention 8 boards with 5 assists and only one turnover.

Let's keep him.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2012, 10:53:14 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Certainly a statement game by the Captain.

To be honest, though - we need some more scoring from other than Paul Pierce...this has been a concern of mine.

No one has seemed to been able to pick up much of the slack from ______ _________ leaving for MIA...

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2012, 11:14:09 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton

To be honest, though - we need some more scoring from other than Paul Pierce...this has been a concern of mine.

No one has seemed to been able to pick up much of the slack from ______ _________ leaving for MIA...
Pierce is gonna be averaging 20ppg dis year (predicted dat before da season) wat ur sayin is why i wanted us to get Jamal Crawford since he was a betta shot creator nd could take some of da scorin load off Pierce. after da preseason i was hopin Jeff Green could average 12-15 ppg to make things easier but dude be lookin half dead on da court sometimes smh

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2012, 11:27:33 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Pierce is gonna be averaging 20ppg dis year (predicted dat before da season) wat ur sayin is why i wanted us to get Jamal Crawford since he was a betta shot creator nd could take some of da scorin load off Pierce. after da preseason i was hopin Jeff Green could average 12-15 ppg to make things easier but dude be lookin half dead on da court sometimes smh

We've got scorers.  KG and Jet can both fill it up.  Yes, Jeff Green appears to be inconsistent and he seems to get lost in the game too easily, but he is another guy who can definitely catch fire.  And, of course, Rondo has proven that he can score in bunches when he's not too busy selfishly setting everybody else up.  Even Brandon can get it going on occasion.

We've got scorers.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2012, 11:35:51 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
What... no trade him while his value is highest thread? Come on people.

Didnt look too old tonight.

« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2012, 11:38:01 PM »

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 85
it's funny how all the pierce doubters are quiet and disappeared back into their rabbit hole...that tells me that you never played the game ...did you? i think the pierce doubters come out of the rabbit hole and cherry pick the capt's off games...one of the all-time celtic greats and playing at a near all-star level!

« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2012, 01:44:24 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
What's really funny is that you think that acknowledging Pierce's obvious decline makes you a Pierce doubter. I love how everything and everyone must be labeled and grouped into some category on this site. Ok, on a hot shooting night he drops 40 on a bunch of bums, does that now mean we're supposed to forget the last 24 games? Fact of the matter is that you can't count on Pierce to carry heavy scoring loads on a regular basis any more. One hot game doesn't change that fact. He's having his second worst shooting season from the field and that's entirely because we're asking him to play the same role he has been the last 14 seasons like nothings changed.

« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2012, 01:53:28 AM »

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
last 3
13/16
6/10
7/13
He's finding a groove and consistently getting to the line. Dudes gotta calm down.

« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2012, 02:35:09 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
What's really funny is that you think that acknowledging Pierce's obvious decline makes you a Pierce doubter. I love how everything and everyone must be labeled and grouped into some category on this site. Ok, on a hot shooting night he drops 40 on a bunch of bums, does that now mean we're supposed to forget the last 24 games? Fact of the matter is that you can't count on Pierce to carry heavy scoring loads on a regular basis any more. One hot game doesn't change that fact. He's having his second worst shooting season from the field and that's entirely because we're asking him to play the same role he has been the last 14 seasons like nothings changed.
His PER is about average for the last 4 years before tonight's big game.

« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2012, 06:57:55 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I hope he bucks the trend.   One good game versus a couple of mediocre ones.   I think he has looked older this year but he certainly was vintage PP last night and hot.   

It was the Cavs and they are a young and bad team without their second best player.  I want to see this kind of performance when it matters not against a bottom tier team like CLE.

« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2012, 08:10:16 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
Paul Pierce is still a very good player.  He is not at his hall of fame peak, but he is still a really good player.

Yeah, it was Cleveland, yeah Cle didn't have a key starter, yeah, it was after a period of not so great play, but it sure was nice to see him put up a game like that.

PP is still the man for this team to truly contend.  He can't do it alone, but without him somewhere near the top of his game, we are a 0.500 team.