Author Topic: Sorry, but Pierce has gotten old.  (Read 13560 times)

Re: Sorry, but Pierce has gotten old.
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2012, 08:20:48 AM »

Offline CelticsFanNC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
   Paul Pierce is still a very good player.  He's not the player he was five years ago but nobody should expect him to be.

The problem is we are still relying on him to be our primary scoring option night in and night out.  At his age with the miles on his legs he just cannot bring his A game night in and night out.

« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2012, 08:21:02 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
What's really funny is that you think that acknowledging Pierce's obvious decline makes you a Pierce doubter. I love how everything and everyone must be labeled and grouped into some category on this site. Ok, on a hot shooting night he drops 40 on a bunch of bums, does that now mean we're supposed to forget the last 24 games? Fact of the matter is that you can't count on Pierce to carry heavy scoring loads on a regular basis any more. One hot game doesn't change that fact. He's having his second worst shooting season from the field and that's entirely because we're asking him to play the same role he has been the last 14 seasons like nothings changed.

I dont know why hes getting so much crap. he's shooting 44% from the field when his career average is 45% and he is hitting 38% of his threes when his career average is 37%. He is also 5th in the league in free throw attempts which means he is driving to the basket and getting to the line.

He's ninth in the league in scoring but we cant ask him to play the role of go to scorer?

To me, dat make a no sense.

On top of that he is averageing 5.5 rebound and 3.6 assists per game, right around his normal numbers and is having his third best season for TO's. Old yes. But even in a so called "bad" start to the season, Pierce is still among the leagues best without question.

« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2012, 08:30:19 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
What's really funny is that you think that acknowledging Pierce's obvious decline makes you a Pierce doubter. I love how everything and everyone must be labeled and grouped into some category on this site. Ok, on a hot shooting night he drops 40 on a bunch of bums, does that now mean we're supposed to forget the last 24 games? Fact of the matter is that you can't count on Pierce to carry heavy scoring loads on a regular basis any more. One hot game doesn't change that fact. He's having his second worst shooting season from the field and that's entirely because we're asking him to play the same role he has been the last 14 seasons like nothings changed.

Pierce isn't playing the same role he's been playing for the last 14 seasons. He's playing the same role he's been playing since KG and Ray showed up, which generally means carrying a smaller load on offense than he did in the past. That's why it was always clear that the window for this group was longer than the 3 or so years many predicted. Paul's scoring dropped by 5 ppg or so when the big three came together, Ray dropped by 9 ppg and KG dropped by 3-4 points and 3-4 rebounds a game. That smaller load would be easier to maintain as they aged.

« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2012, 09:59:45 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

I dont know why hes getting so much crap. he's shooting 44% from the field when his career average is 45% and he is hitting 38% of his threes when his career average is 37%. He is also 5th in the league in free throw attempts which means he is driving to the basket and getting to the line.

He's ninth in the league in scoring but we cant ask him to play the role of go to scorer?

On top of that he is averageing 5.5 rebound and 3.6 assists per game, right around his normal numbers and is having his third best season for TO's. Old yes. But even in a so called "bad" start to the season, Pierce is still among the leagues best without question.

While it is clear he has lost a step I still see him as the 4th best SF in the game. I would put him ahead of Deng, Granger, Gay, and Igoudala.

So that means he is where he has been the last few years behind 'Bron, KD, and 'Melo.

Great point on his season and career averages. His demise has been greatly exaggerated and he and KG are playing about as well as one could realistically hope.

The unit as a whole is underperforming and it's making the individual pieces all look worse then they really are.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2012, 10:58:51 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

43% after an amazing shooting night before last night it was 41%. IMO, shooting 43% or lower for a scorer puts you right there in chucker land. Pierce is still productive the problem is asking to score 20+ night is going to make him less efficient. I have not complaint's about Pierce's play. My only complaint is that we still count on him for too much in the scoring department, someone else has to help carry the load.

« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2012, 11:06:44 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

43% after an amazing shooting night before last night it was 41%. IMO, shooting 43% or lower for a scorer puts you right there in chucker land. Pierce is still productive the problem is asking to score 20+ night is going to make him less efficient. I have not complaint's about Pierce's play. My only complaint is that we still count on him for too much in the scoring department, someone else has to help carry the load.

Exactly ^ If we depend on pierce to take us through the playoffs we won't get far.

« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2012, 11:15:20 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
smh @ people trynna discredit 40 points on 80% shootin cuz "it was da cavs" unbelievable lol da same cavs dat beat da clippers nd lakers dis year huh? same cavs dat lost to Memphis nd Miami by 2 points? even tho they have a trash roster they compete wat Pierce did last night shouldnt be swept under da rug

« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2012, 11:32:13 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

So if he has another couple of good shooting games and gets his fg% up over 43% he won't be in chucker land anymore?

« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2012, 11:36:37 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton

So if he has another couple of good shooting games and gets his fg% up over 43% he won't be in chucker land anymore?
like i said in ova threads anyone who's been watchin Pierce for years knos he plays his best ball later in da regular season especially March. his scorin nd percentages will increase belee dat

« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2012, 11:56:28 AM »

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 85
for all the pierce doubters...first...grow some cajones...go tell the capt the he is done and over the hill...to his face...then...come back to celtics blog and tell us...oh...that's right...you have no cajones...more to the point...when was the last time you dropped 40 in an nba game...scoreboard!

« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2012, 11:58:28 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
problem is we have no one to carry us anymore. This guy has given his life to the Celtics. He, Rondo and KG have been given very little to work with lately. 4 more players that we could count on and we'd be up there with the best. But we don't, they haven't been provided for whatever reason. It looks like Danny just really stepped in it with KG and Allen. Very little support since then. I don't blame Allen for leaving. The sump pump ain't working anymore and we're going down. Just wait for the 1st injury and see how thin we are.

« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2012, 12:05:59 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
for all the pierce doubters...first...grow some cajones...go tell the capt the he is done and over the hill...to his face...then...come back to celtics blog and tell us...oh...that's right...you have no cajones...more to the point...when was the last time you dropped 40 in an nba game...scoreboard!
its crazy to me only on celtics blog will a performance like dis be looked down on cuz "it was the cavs" twitter is even worse Pierce gotta be da most disrespected player in da league they gonna miss him when he's gone tho

« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2012, 12:18:09 PM »

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 85
it seems like some of the most negative celtic fans are here on celtics blog...celtic pride and tradition is about bleeding green and loyalty...it seems like the fairweather fans here at celtic blog take pot shots from the peanut gallery...i don't ever rememeber hearing this garbage at the end of hondo's career or jo jo's or bird's or mchale's or chief's or dj's...

« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2012, 12:37:12 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Scoring 40 points on only 16 shots is an amazing feat at any age.  The question with older players like Pierce is whether they have the legs to come up big at the end of a grueling playoff series.

Against Lebron in 2008 when Pierce was younger, he did.  Last winter, he didn't.  It's conjecture whether PP didn't have the legs because he played too many minutes that season, or just had gotten old.

Father Time spares no one, unfortunately.  If Pierce can turn a game 7 performance this winter like he did to the Cavs in 2008, that would show that he's not too old.   

« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2012, 12:38:21 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I'm convinced Pierce read this thread and erupted after a la KG and the Hawks owner mouthing off he's old  ;D
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk