Author Topic: Sorry, but Pierce has gotten old.  (Read 13631 times)

Re: Sorry, but Pierce has gotten old.
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2012, 09:50:30 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Pierce haters are getting annoying.
rite most underappreciated player in da league even by his own fan base i'll neva forget how some celtic fans were mad when he passed Larry Bird for 2nd all-time in da scoring ranks. dats why i hope he passes Hondo so da fan base can get real salty

Let the Countdown begin ~3,300 points or so behind.

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2012, 10:00:46 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas

Grow up man. Nobody is being a HATER we are simply stating the obvious. You think we want to see pierce slowing down ? So i guess whenever you say something negative about the c's or a c's player i can call you a hater then?

20/5.5/3.5/1.5
points/rebounds/assists/steals

slowing down  ::) All star lock again.

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2012, 10:02:28 PM »

Offline GronkSpike

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
Haters?  ::) You'd like to have Pierce next year for $15M?

If you look at the Patriots, they've traded players who won multiple championship, were franchise cornerstones and fan beloved. There comes a time that for as much as a player has done for your club you just have to do what's best for your team, and do it for the best value.
That's why I really hope he retires this season.

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2012, 10:11:10 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas

If you look at the Patriots, they've traded players who won multiple championship, were franchise cornerstones and fan beloved. There comes a time that for as much as a player has done for your club you just have to do what's best for your team, and do it for the best value.

By inputting Patriots into the discussion tells me all I need to know about your basketball knowledge.

« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
It's really disappointing. I wonder if guys like Kobe, Dirk and Duncan, who spent their whole careers with one team, even have any haters at all in their respective fan bases. PP is treated like ****... smh

Its really sad too. Tp

« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2012, 10:18:02 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
It's really disappointing. I wonder if guys like Kobe, Dirk and Duncan, who spent their whole careers with one team, even have any haters at all in their respective fan bases. PP is treated like ****... smh

Its really sad too. Tp

this. 35 or not hes one of the best players on this team day in and out...

« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2012, 10:27:37 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

Grow up man. Nobody is being a HATER we are simply stating the obvious. You think we want to see pierce slowing down ? So i guess whenever you say something negative about the c's or a c's player i can call you a hater then?

20/5.5/3.5/1.5
points/rebounds/assists/steals

slowing down  ::) All star lock again.

Yeah, completely ignore his defense turnovers and shooting percentage. I never said pierce was a bum i said hes slowing down and that's a fact.

« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2012, 10:28:55 PM »

Offline GronkSpike

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
By inputting Patriots into the discussion tells me all I need to know about your basketball knowledge.
"By having a Pirlo signature tells all I need to know your basketball knowledge." You must like soccer, so you probably don't know anything about basketball, right?  ::) Or the other way around? ...  ::)

You didn't even posted an argument or something, just went for a personal attack, that's fine. I just expressed my opinion in a way I found easiest and also felt that other people could relate due to the Celtics being a NE based-team and the Patriots being a perennial-championship contender (Isn't that the Celtics' objective, too? All about 18 anyone?). My point was, for as much as you love a player (and I do love Pierce, went to the US last year and specifically bought his jersey because he's my favorite Celtic)you still have to do what's best for your team.

Point being, if this team is a .500 team at the moment, and with Pierce declining a bit, we are kinda strained cap wise, and next year he'll not live up to his contract and Ainge might trade him, so that's why I said, I hope he retires, so he can go as a Celtic. And I wish for you to respect that opinion, thanks.

« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2012, 10:31:52 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

Exactly, by the way big patriots game tomorrow i can't wait!!!

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2012, 10:35:24 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If you're aiming towards the future, there's probably quite a few players not performing as well as Pierce that you'd have to trade him or.

Well, you're right if you talk about managing a fantasy league team, or a video game. But there's more to basketball than stats and projections, we're talking about people. About players and about fans, who follow their team and get attached to their stars.

So no, in the real world you don't trade the Captain unless he's demanding a trade and you're getting a star player in return (not likely).
yeah that's not true though.  Sorry.  If the team isn't in position to compete, there are several young players you'd have to move Pierce for.  Hakeem was traded.  Ewing was traded.  Payton was traded.   The loyalty is admirable, but there are absolutely situations where trading Pierce makes sense.  When we were sub-.500 last year, we tried trading Pierce to the Nets for their lotto pick.  Supposedly Pierce nixed that deal, but I've heard conflicting info depending on who has reported that.

Don't get me wrong... he's 35 and still performing better than probably 90% of the league (only 40 players outperforming him this season).  But if we're not competing for a title, there's definitely logic in moving him while he still has trade value.

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2012, 10:35:38 PM »

Offline jbaerg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
Even the young guys on this team look old. I don't care if we're only 20 games in, we've looked horrible. make some moves.

« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2012, 10:51:15 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
"By having a Pirlo signature tells all I need to know your basketball knowledge." You must like soccer, so you probably don't know anything about basketball, right?  ::) Or the other way around? ...  ::)

You didn't even posted an argument or something, just went for a personal attack, that's fine. I just expressed my opinion in a way I found easiest and also felt that other people could relate due to the Celtics being a NE based-team and the Patriots being a perennial-championship contender (Isn't that the Celtics' objective, too? All about 18 anyone?). My point was, for as much as you love a player (and I do love Pierce, went to the US last year and specifically bought his jersey because he's my favorite Celtic)you still have to do what's best for your team.

Point being, if this team is a .500 team at the moment, and with Pierce declining a bit, we are kinda strained cap wise, and next year he'll not live up to his contract and Ainge might trade him, so that's why I said, I hope he retires, so he can go as a Celtic. And I wish for you to respect that opinion, thanks.

Decline in relation to what? His body is holding up, his game is certainly timeless, and his stats are consistent. He is well on his way to his 11th all star game. Pierce is 9th in scoring in the league. The guy produces night-in and night-out. The only conclusion I can draw is you want to kick captain out of town for reasons unrelated to basketball.

As far as Celtics playing .500 ball this is nothing new. Doc Rivers teams tend to underperform in the regular season. C's will be playing in May/June. I can't predict a championship. But if things break Celtics way, Championship is in sight.

« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2012, 11:10:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Imagine San Antonio's relief that Duncan (scoring a point a game less than Parker) isn't considered one of their top scoring options. This makes them much more viable contenders.

Tony Parker.

The Spurs can get by when Timmy can't score more than 10-12 points, because Tony is good for 20-30 points.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2012, 10:02:17 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
Age is nothing but a number. Pierce is one greatest scorers in nba history.

« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2012, 10:10:19 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Well he still not deffending his chair... :P
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!