Author Topic: Sorry, but Pierce has gotten old.  (Read 13559 times)

Re: Sorry, but Pierce has gotten old.
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2012, 07:16:07 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I'll say this much: anyone who thinks a team with 35yo Paul Pierce as its top scorer AND best defender at the 3 is winning a chamionship is dreaming.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2012, 07:30:13 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
I still think this is PP last year..he will retire
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2012, 07:31:46 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'll say this much: anyone who thinks a team with 35yo Paul Pierce as its top scorer AND best defender at the 3 is winning a chamionship is dreaming.

Well, call me a dreamer...I still like our opportunity in May and June, however small it may seem.

I'll take my chances with Playoff KG, Paul Pierce, RONDOOOOOO, Jet, Consistent Jeff Green, Bass, Wilcox, Sully, Leandro, Lee and Co.

It's Jeff Green's job to keep Paul fresh for the playoffs, and he's doing just that for the most part. Outside of the HOU game, I think Paul's minutes have been decent.

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2012, 07:31:55 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!

Yeaaaaaaaaaaah. tp

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2012, 07:34:09 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Which of those two things will prevent us from winning the title, the scoring or the defense?

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2012, 07:34:55 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I disagree with the original premise of this thread.  I absolutely think that Paul Pierce should remain our starting small forward.  He's a top fifty player and a top five or six small forward.  He's still one of the craftiest, most skilled basketball players around. 

He's struggling with his shooting percentage, but I think he can get that up to closer to .450 than .400 before too long. 

Leave Jeff as a sub off the bench and keep the captain in the starting lineup. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2012, 07:35:57 PM »

Offline albas89

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Seriously you could have just grabbed a bunch of threads that were posted this time last year and this forum would have looked exactly the same. "This team is done", "pierce is old", "this team sucks"
After a very slow start of 10-15 games due to the injury he had, Pierce was actually BALLING by this time last year... and that was the reason he was a lock for the 2012 ASG despite missing a lot of games to start a much shortened season. There was even a stretch of games when Rondo was out that Paul was doing basically everything on the offensive end. That Paul was a far cry from what we're seeing this season, at least so far. I'm really worried.

That being said, I can't believe half the stuff I'm reading in this forum... wanting to trade a Celtic legend and a player who spent his whole career sticking with this team for some unproven rookies or role players? really...??
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."- Paul Pierce

And he did finish...

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2012, 07:55:12 PM »

Online moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
In a couple months, if Paul is taking the most shots on the team and his shooting percentage isn't above 45% I would say we are in huge trouble.  That's a recipe for disaster.  That's like the Antoine years, or the Iverson years in Philly.  The defense has to be absolutely amazing to make a decent title attempt under that condition.

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2012, 08:39:12 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
You're 100 percent correct OP. I have been keeping my eye on pierce and he is for sure slowing down dramatically. He is having bad shooting nights often. If he played less mins and shot less shots *Especially 3's* it wouldn't bother me as much.

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2012, 09:14:37 PM »

Offline GronkSpike

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
There were some reports last year of Pierce mentioning retirement, I really hope he follows through this year, that way he can retire a Celtic. But it's very unlikely because his player option is $15,333,334...and so you'd have to be crazy for leaving $15M.

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2012, 09:27:23 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Which of those two things will prevent us from winning the title, the scoring or the defense?

My feeling? The D. The only possible way the Cs make it through Lebron and then Durant in the playoffs is if Pierce has defensive responsibility significantly reduced.

Pierce is almost certain to lead this team in scoring when you consider the games of their other two top players. Thats fine -- this team would have to win ala the 2004 Pistons anyway. I just often wonder what it would be like if the Cs had a long wing defender like Mbah a Moute, allowing PP to move out of the 3 for stretches.

Regardless, there's no way he can manage both and the Cs are hoisting a trophy in 2013. He's just not good enough anymore, and Green to date hasn't shown he can score or defend well or consistently at a high level.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2012, 09:37:48 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Pierce haters are getting annoying.

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2012, 09:40:47 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
rite most underappreciated player in da league even by his own fan base i'll neva forget how some celtic fans were mad when he passed Larry Bird for 2nd all-time in da scoring ranks. dats why i hope he passes Hondo so da fan base can get real salty

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2012, 09:48:29 PM »

Offline albas89

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
It's really disappointing. I wonder if guys like Kobe, Dirk and Duncan, who spent their whole careers with one team, even have any haters at all in their respective fan bases. PP is treated like ****... smh
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."- Paul Pierce

And he did finish...

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2012, 09:49:43 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

Grow up man. Nobody is being a HATER we are simply stating the obvious. You think we want to see pierce slowing down ? So i guess whenever you say something negative about the c's or a c's player i can call you a hater then?